Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Federschwert... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jimi Edmonds

PostPosted: Mon 26 Mar, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Federschwert...         Reply with quote

I am looking into aquiring a feder to accompany my longsword practice, now I have been eyeing up the A&A Fechterspiel which I read is said to be quite good, but then some are saying that Ensifer feders or Pavel Moc feders are just as good if not better and then theres big praise for the Albion Meyer, although some say its more a blunt than a feder!
As those listed they all look good, I have delt with Albion and love my Maestro Liechtenauer, and have have quick replies from A&A.
I want a feder that would last [we practice almost every Sunday, but don't so much use full force intencity], well last at least a couple of years or more..
I have searched the net and heard good things and some bad, still its pointing toward the A&A feder..

So any of you out there that have any more info on these that would be grand..cheers Jim.
T. Arndt

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Mon 26 Mar, 2012 11:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I love my A&A Fechterspiel and would not trade trade it for any. But by the same token, I have a freind who swears by his Albion Liechtenauer. Honestly I don't think you can go wrong with either, but my vote is on the Fechterspiel.
Wisconsin Historical Fencing Association (WHFA) - La Crosse
A HEMA Alliance Affiliate

“Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?” -Juvenal
Jimi Edmonds

PostPosted: Tue 27 Mar, 2012 12:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Cool, yes the Albion Liechtenauer is awesome, I have found that with it I can completely blow through my partners wards without to much effort, though still some peoples say they are not the safest, or are hard in the thrust, but then that comes to the person useing the sword!.
I thought it was time to try my hand with a feder as I want to fight faster, and that I want another sword to train with!

So ok thats a plus one for the A&A fechterspiel.
Alen L

PostPosted: Tue 27 Mar, 2012 1:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello!

There are quite a few good feders available. Ensifer makes good, lasting feders, though as far as i can tell, his waiting period is rather long. I'm not sure how good the Pavel Moc feders are, as i haven't had a chance to handle them yet, though those who had say they're pretty damn good. Then, of course, you have the Peter Regnyei feders, which are rather cheap, and a lot of HEMA practitioners swear by them...
Emil Andersson

PostPosted: Tue 27 Mar, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chalk one more up to the A&A fechterspiel. It's the only one I have much experience with, but it hasn't ever let me down after hours of fast and intense fencing. Happy
Shaunn M.W.

PostPosted: Tue 27 Mar, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alen L wrote:
Ensifer makes good, lasting feders, though as far as i can tell, his waiting period is rather long. I'm not sure how good the Pavel Moc feders are, as i haven't had a chance to handle them yet, though those who had say they're pretty damn good. Then, of course, you have the Peter Regnyei feders, which are rather cheap, and a lot of HEMA practitioners swear by them...

I have an Ensifer Talhoffer heavy feder and it is amazing, I cannot recommend it highly enough!! My training partners have an Albion Meyer and an A&A Fechterspiel and I would take the Ensifer over either of them hands down, though they are all very good swords. I have not had the fortune to wield any of Pavel Moc's swords, but I have heard great things, and the pictures of his newest feder line look amazing!!

My only other advice - don't settle for a lesser sword. Save up and get he sword you really want, even if you have to wait a little longer and save up more money. If you settle you will just regret it later.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue 27 Mar, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

With the shipping costs to New Zealand buying a highly recommended fechterspiel from A&A is one good way to minimize the risks of not being satisfied and having to send it back for exchange or a refund.

Just a factor to consider. Wink Big Grin Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Phil D.

Reading list: 56 books

PostPosted: Tue 27 Mar, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
With the shipping costs to New Zealand buying a highly recommended fechterspiel from A&A is one good way to minimize the risks of not being satisfied and having to send it back for exchange or a refund.

Just a factor to consider. Wink Big Grin Cool

I second Jean's opinion.A & A is the way to go.

"A bottle of wine contains more philosophy than all the books in the world." -- Louis Pasteur

"A gentleman should never leave the house without a sharp knife, a good watch, and great hat."
Jimi Edmonds

PostPosted: Tue 27 Mar, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

[/quote]

My only other advice - don't settle for a lesser sword. Save up and get he sword you really want, even if you have to wait a little longer and save up more money. If you settle you will just regret it later.[/quote]

Yes this I will do. Thanks for the replies.....I will ponder some more.

But then lets see what Ensifer has to say.. I like the Talhoffer feder...
Jimi Edmonds

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jul, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

To bring up the dead...Ensifers' Tal Hoffer was off the table for a long while, but still I may look into his XVa bouting sword.
I went for an Arms and Armor Fechterspiel, I quite like it, I have yet to put it to the test against another, it now resides beside my Liechtenauer...one for hewing Knights and the other for slicing the brigands in the street..

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Federschwert...
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic