Go to page Previous  1, 2

Sean Flynt wrote:
That's beautiful! I've often looked at the Atlanta Cutlery Enfield/Martini-Henry/Etc. wrecks and wanted to adopt one as a project since I'm not into modern cartridge arms. My father-in-law was a dealer, though, so his garand, carbine, Mauser, Enfield, etc. will probably end up with me at some point.

That would be quite a project because most of them are in very poor condition due to the way the were put away and stored. That being said, I would like to get one too. There was a dealer in Hickory, NC many years back who had a large selection of all models and they were dirt cheap. At the time I had no interest in them and am still kicking myself for not buying one.
Added a couple of new photos in the original post.
Patrick Kelly wrote:
Added a couple of new photos in the original post.

More eye candy. :D :cool:

Always liked the distinctive look of the rear handguard " Hump " just in front of the rear sight: Wonder if aesthetics considerations applied when the stock was originally designed or it was just a functional way to better protect the rear sight in bayonet fighting ?

The forward barrel band ( If I'm using the correct terminology ? ) sort of reminds me a bit of the look of the 18th century French Musket front band and bayonet lug ?

I tend to look at these features on a firearm the way one looks at a sculpture in the same way I look at most things like swords and armour and even tank or early 20th century battleship designs ...... even tiny differences make an object unique to me. :D

A bit off Topic maybe but I find running my eyes over an object the way I would tactilely feel it's shape is part of the pleasures of enjoying the material World.
Jean Thibodeau wrote:

Always liked the distinctive look of the rear handguard " Hump " just in front of the rear sight: Wonder if aesthetics considerations applied when the stock was originally designed or it was just a functional way to better protect the rear sight in bayonet fighting ?

When the rifle was designed mounted cavalry was still a large component of the US Army. The hump was meant to protect the rear sight while being inserted into a troopers saddle scabbard.
Go to page Previous  1, 2

Page 2 of 2

Jump to: