why "myArmoury" and not "myarmo*ry"?
why "myArmoury" and not "myarmo*ry"? It seems like most people on this board are from North America.

Me - I'm an Australian living in Canada, so I spell armour with a "u" - but I find it interesting that a predominantly American board spells it with a "u".

just curious.

Last edited by Alex Yeoh on Fri 12 Nov, 2004 2:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
Re: why "myArmoury" and not "myArmoury"?
Alex Yeoh wrote:
why "myArmoury" and not "myArmoury"? It seems like most people on this board are from North America.

Me - I'm an Australian living in Canada, so I spell armour with a "u" - but I find it interesting that a predominantly American board spells it with a "u".

just curious.

Because the domain name without the "u" in it was already taken.
Re: why "myArmoury" and not "myArmoury"?
Nathan Robinson wrote:
Alex Yeoh wrote:
why "myArmoury" and not "myArmoury"? It seems like most people on this board are from North America.

just curious.

Because the domain name without the "u" in it was already taken.

Amusingly enough, a site that sells a pop-up blocker...

myarmo*ry (dot)com (for some reason the site here keeps chaging it to add the "U")

quote:

"MyArmo*ry was started to help Internet users get rid of the mess and start enjoying the Web again. "

I'd say "myArmoury.com" did the same thing for me...

Best,

Howy
yeah I noticed that! I wrote "myarmo*ry" and it switched it to "myArmoury" which made my subject heading nonsensical!
Alex Yeoh wrote:
yeah I noticed that! I wrote "myarmo*ry" and it switched it to "myArmoury" which made my subject heading nonsensical!

Heh, I have the board auto-correcting that sort of thing. We believe you when you say you typed it cocrectly. Uh huh! :)

But look: myArmory.com. Sneaky, huh?
how did you manage to spell myArmory.com without it changing? Amazing ;)
Alex Yeoh wrote:

Admins are like small gods, they can do everything they please in their domain :D
Markus Haider wrote:
Alex Yeoh wrote:

Admins are like small gods, they can do everything they please in their domain :D

:lol: Do you think something like this, Markus :D

Attachment: 54.07 KB
geeks.jpg

Heh, heh. Gladly this is posted on the Off-Topc forum - The Vandal is using an axe :p
Besides that, the online armour community has pretty much adopted (claimed!) the British spelling of the word to mean armour of the medieval variety.

Kinda grew out of trying to do websearches and coming up with tanks and bullet proof vests.... :lol:
David R. Glier wrote:
Besides that, the online armour community has pretty much adopted (claimed!) the British spelling of the word to mean armour of the medieval variety.

Kinda grew out of trying to do websearches and coming up with tanks and bullet proof vests.... :lol:

Hm. You know what? That's a very good point. It's not one I considered, in truth, when making and naming the site. As it turns out, I'm happy with the name and its spelling. It does seem more appropriate for our subject matter and luckily avoids the pitfalls that you just described.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: