Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > The 12th Century Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Wed 20 Jun, 2012 7:59 am    Post subject: The 12th Century         Reply with quote

This post is my 1,101st. The year 1101 also marks the beginning of the 12th century, my favourite time period. In celebration of this, my thread is dedicated to this most remarkable of medieval centuries.

In this thread, you can post basically anything to do with the 12th century. It can be facts and information, historical tidbits, information about medieval people who lived during the century, pictures of arms and armour from the period- anything you like, so long as it fits into the 1100s.

For my first post, I'll include some events that happened in the year 1101. All information is courtesy of Wikipedia.

The Year 1101

April – King Baldwin I of Jerusalem captures Arsuf and Caesarea in May.

June 20 – Robert Curthose, duke of Normandy, lands in Portsmouth to try to take the throne from his brother, Henry. Later that year (July), he signs the Treaty of Alton, giving up his claim to the Anglo-Norman throne and establishing Henry I as King of England.

Births

Heloise, lover of Pierre Abélard (d. 1162)

William Clito, Count of Flanders (d. 1128)

Deaths

June 22 – Count Roger I of Sicily (b. 1031)

October 6 – Bruno of Cologne, German founder of the Carthusian order
Jojo Zerach

PostPosted: Wed 20 Jun, 2012 8:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's when the 12th century renaissance occurred.
Gary Teuscher

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 20 Jun, 2012 8:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Interesting. I look at the 12th century as the beginning of a new era in many parts of Europe and the Middle East.

The Saxon Kingdom had come to an end in 1066, a major change in the politics of the region. The Viking age is deemed by many to have ended then, one of the events being the severe loss dealt to Hardrada's invading force also in 1066.

In 1071, the Byzantines loose much of Anatolia, one of their primary recruiting areas, as well as suffer a major defeat at Manikzert. There power in the area was greatly diminished after this. The Crusader Kingdoms in the middle east are also established at the dawn of the 12th century. The Spanish Reconquista was also starting to have sucess, with the fall of Toledo in 1085.

The political map of the beginning of the 12th century was far far different than what it looked like at the beginning of the 11th century.
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Wed 20 Jun, 2012 8:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

12th century is maybe even my favorite century. I see it as a pinnacle of Crusading mentality, pinnacle of supremacy of a mounted knight fully clad in mail wielding long single handed cutting sword and a big kite shield, no plate armor, no big middle class armies of infantry specialized for resisting knights (with few exceptions emerging)... Century of Templar glory, beautiful long Xa and XI knightly swords, beautiful inlays in blades, glorious battles where Crusaders still managed to crush Arab and Seljuk armies far greater than theirs (Ramleh, Montgisard...)...
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Wed 20 Jun, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Also we see the emergence of the elegant, tall, and slender Gothic churches, and the invention of the flying buttress.

Both Chartres and St. John de Compestalla were built at this time.

We also see the renewal of western monasticism with St. Bernard as a central figure along with St. Norbert. Monasticism was in the process of recording, thus maintaining, the great works of Greek and Roman philosophy and medicine. This flowering of monasticism set the stage for the towering 13th c. theologians of Thomas Aquinas and Bonaventure, and the religious founders St. Francis of Assisi and St. Dominic.

Then, of course, there is the A&A of the period. . . . Happy

Last edited by Jeremy V. Krause on Wed 20 Jun, 2012 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brad F.

PostPosted: Wed 20 Jun, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The 12th century is my favorite as well. It really encapsulates the "High Middle Ages", and the height of everything we associate with it; not only the crusades and the armored knight, but the troubadours, the philosophers, the fashion (angel-winged sleeves, anyone?) and the music.

On that subject, does anyone know of any good resources for 12th century fighting styles? I know it predates the oldest fighting manual by a good century, but has anyone done any reconstructive studies, or literary analysis, or anything? I'm thinking mostly sword and shield, but single sword or great sword would work as well. Bonus points for mounted combat.
Robin Smith

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Wed 20 Jun, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: The 12th Century         Reply with quote

Craig Peters wrote:
June 20 – Robert Curthose, duke of Normandy, lands in Portsmouth to try to take the throne from his brother, Henry. Later that year (July), he signs the Treaty of Alton, giving up his claim to the Anglo-Norman throne and establishing Henry I as King of England.

Which of course ultimately leads to the Battle of Tinchebray, which has always fascinated me. It is one of the few examples of the Normans choosing to use primarily infantry tactics. Henry and his forces choose to fight the battle unmounted.

We can't forget the Charter of Liberties, without which the way would not have been paved for the Magna Carta.

The Anarchy... Nuff said

The only problem with the 12th C? Its not the 11th C... Its like the 11th C's little brother. Almost as cool, but not quite... Razz

A furore Normannorum libera nos, Domine
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Wed 20 Jun, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

11th, 12th, and 13th c. are the best. Everything goes downhill from there. Wink Laughing Out Loud
William P

PostPosted: Wed 20 Jun, 2012 10:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

for me 12h century in the west is actually a black hole of sorts, its not vikings and longshipsbut nor is it the knight in shining armour.
and also im an infantry fan so the fact that the 11th and thus the 12th century heralded the temprary end of infantry being the dominant force , not so thrilled about.
but thats just me

its also the time that saw the byzantines go into steep decline.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Novgorod

the 12th century saw the formation of Novgorod.

http://www.arscives.com/historysteel/images1/...lution.jpg
the 12th century was the age in which we saw the japanese refine the tachi into the sword that later became the world famous katana
and in general the heien and kamakura period (the latter encompassing the last 20 years of he century) saw he rise of the samurai as we have come to know them,
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Wed 20 Jun, 2012 10:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
11th, 12th, and 13th c. are the best. Everything goes downhill from there. Wink Laughing Out Loud

Strike the 13th century from the back end and add the 10th to the front end and you've got my vote! This period did see some of the most austere yet elegant swords ever made. Not many swords more graceful than a long type XI with a simple pommel and cross.
Boris R.

PostPosted: Wed 20 Jun, 2012 10:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

in 1102. my country (Croatia)) aftered having suffered the defeat from the hungarians enter the personal union called the Kingdom of Croato-Hungarians. it will last until about 1527.when Ferdinand von Habsburg is elected the new croatian king on a parliament of Cetin
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jun, 2012 5:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Also in 1102:

The Crusaders capture Caesarea Maritima.

The Crusaders defeat a large Fatimid counter-attack of the Kingdom of Jerusalem near Ascalon and capture the city after 3 years of siege.

The Venetians establish a new trade emporium in Sidon.

May 5 – End of the short-lived principality created by El Cid. Valencia is captured by the Almoravids under Yusuf ibn Tashfin. It is later recaptured, evacuated and burned by Alfonso VI of Castile.

June 4 – Bolesław III becomes king of Poland.

At the Council of London, the Roman Catholic Church bans sodomy and the sale of Christian slaves to non-Christian countries.

Births

Matilda, daughter of Henry I of England (d. 1167)

Deaths

Stephen II, Count of Blois

King Wladislaus I Herman of Poland (b. 1040)

From Wiki
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jun, 2012 6:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hm, wasn't Ascalon taken by Crusaders in 1153?
Roberto Banfi

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jun, 2012 9:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

there's plenty for everyone! Razz

1122 Concordat of Worms (Pactum Calixtinum) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concordat_of_Worms which set and end the Investiture Controversy

1162 Milan destroyed to the ground by Emperor Fredrick Barbarossa at the peak of its campaign against communal armies of northern Italy

1176 Battle of Legnano, revenge of the Lombard League against the Imperial forces

1187 Battle of Hattin and Fall of Jerusalem to the Saracens
Michael R. Mann

PostPosted: Tue 26 Jun, 2012 8:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

11th Century:
Hildegard von Bingen lived,

12th / 13th Century:
Frederik I Barbarossa was born and died (now he waits in a mountain, called Kyffhäuser, that anybody will call him back).
Frederik II became the new Holy Roman Emperor and he lead the 5 Crusade.

BTW.: If there is an interest there is a documentary around this time in the internet available: Use this link
http://www.zdf.de/ZDFmediathek/beitrag/video/...r-Kreuzzug
or search for ZDF > ZDF-Mediathek > Die Deutschen II > Folge 2: Friedrich II. und der Kreuzzug (Frederik II. and the Crusade). But an english translation (subtitles) is (are) not available.
Roberto Banfi

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Tue 26 Jun, 2012 8:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

did someone say William Marshall, the greatest knight ever?
Josh S

PostPosted: Tue 26 Jun, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael R. Mann wrote:
11th Century:

She mostly lived in the 12th century... She was (believed to have been) born in 1098 Happy

The 12th also gave us the duo of Pierre Abélard & Héloïse d’Argenteuil, who left us with some wonderful letters.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Tue 26 Jun, 2012 12:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good places to live int the 12th century:

Norman Sicily
Cordoba in Muslim Spain

Bad places:

England during the Anarchy - 1135 - 1253
Michael R. Mann

PostPosted: Wed 27 Jun, 2012 7:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Josh S wrote:
Michael R. Mann wrote:
11th Century:

She mostly lived in the 12th century... She was (believed to have been) born in 1098 Happy

Indeed. Happy
All sources which I know reports 1098 as the year of heir birth but it's not excatly known the month and day, and also the location where she was born.
Kai Lawson

PostPosted: Wed 27 Jun, 2012 8:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I second your William Marshal vote. To be winning early combative tournaments and melees, in mail, and doing it frequently? That's a man.
"And they crossed swords."
--William Goldman, alias S. Morgenstern

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > The 12th Century
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: