Go to page 1, 2  Next

What would you consider the "manliest" sword?
Just as the title says what do you consider the manliest sword? I've been contemplating this for a while and would like your guys opinion on which sword throughout history has the best blend of beauty and power a sword that would be at home on a "man's" hip as well as on a battlefield and why.
Not quite a sword, but surely the "manliest" weapon is the ballock knife.
all depends on the man...

but as a general statement i would say a two handed great sword. Large, solid, fast, strong
My votes for a Scots baskethilt, can say more manly than that.
Roman gladius - you have to get up close and personal with your target.
I'm going to have to go with the anthropomorphic sword.
Nothing fancy-shmancy, just a type Xa, like the Albion Oakeshott

Attachment: 24.32 KB
oakeshott-1a.jpg
Albion Oakeshott
i think youd need two swords one a leaf shaped bladed long sword great for slashing and thrusting when its one on one or you need a little reach got to go with function over fashion and a broken back seax for when you need to get up close and personal
Thank you for all of your speedy replies. I'm happily surprised by your answers so far i was expecting a lot of 18th and 19th century sabers smallswords etc. I believe a simple yet elegant sword is more manly and this fits quite a few of your replies. The great sword very clean and simple but with an awe inspiring presence. Next the scots baskethilt has just the right amount of elegance in its basket while having a powerful sturdy blade. Then the gladius is a nice compact blade with a unique all wood/ivory hilt, handle and pommel assembly and the waisted mainz style blades have a certain beauty to them. The anthropomorphic sword is also very nice in its compactness and its unique bronze handle setup and also sports a leaf blade. Last the albion Oakeshott is the classic stereotypical knight sword that everyone recognizes in its beautiful simplicity.
When I think of the ideal of "manliness" what comes to mind is athleticism with grace. Strength but agility as well, like a gymnast or marathon runner. So I would put forth the Munich. Slender and agile but packs a punch in the cut (so I've read).

It's also " the sword I really really want" so there is also that. :D
Albion Knecht., simple and elegant, it is what it is.
I second the vote for the Scottish Basket-Hilt, the broadsword, but not the backsword.

The Langseax and Oakeshott Type X are also up there.
If I had to pick a second choice after the Highland Scots baskethilt broadsword, I'd pick a "viking sword", either a petersen type H or a K.
something big and strong and not to ornate.
A Boar Sword or a Kukri. I would not question the manly prowess of someone carrying either. They pretty much tell you all you need to know about the 'manliness' of the person carrying them.........

(so long as they were carried by someone who actually used them, and not some poseur, of course)
I vote for a single edged viking sword á la Arhus Farm. Just has a savage kind of beauty in my eyes :)
i have two blades in mind

to me the sheer mind numbing level of crazy that the ghurkas possessed makes me vote for the kukri

but to me, 'manly' means strong as an ox but not not nearly as stupid, so im going for the zweihander. i mean those things got to be nearly 6 feet long yet sill had some serious finess to them to mean they arnt just sharpened maces
...any sword that is buried to the hilt in an adversary's liver.
A ten pound two hander like Arnold uses when playing Conan. Only a real man can use that sword :D
Brian Mitchell wrote:
...any sword that is buried to the hilt in an adversary's liver.

technicly not the manliest "sword" but definitly the second maliest moment the first being one as it shortens someone by a head
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: