Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Grey Knight Armour Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Nicholas Barton

PostPosted: Sun 17 Jun, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: Grey Knight Armour         Reply with quote

G'day all from cloudy down-under

new the the boards and figured i may be able to get some peoples point of view on this
among other things i have a big interest in western martial arts, "larp" and warhammer 40k

i have had a long search and i think maybe this is the place to ask
i'd like to know if someone can say where the Grey Knight armorer was inspired from

the parts that have been particularly hard to source about where and when the helm, and greaves, but i'd like to see where and when some others think

I've attached a picture of one of the models

Attachment: 74.64 KB
Grey knight armour [ Download ]

Why are you standing still?
Jeffrey Faulk

PostPosted: Mon 18 Jun, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, the whole thing is fairly obviously a mix of inspirations with the primary one being the classic late medieval suit of plate armour...

The helmet is derived from the 'frog-mouth' helm used in jousting.

The greaves are a bit more problematic, but I suppose that the way the top lies above the knee probably comes from Grecian bronze greaves:

(Mods: if that picture's too big, feel free to link it)
The etched warding words on the armour may be inspired by similar decoration (although as far as I know none of it was atropotaic) on medieval armours.

The rest of this armour is more or less just a suit of armour updated with sci-fi power-armour touches. If you're interested in details, the 'Articles' section of this website has some essays on armour, and of course this forum is a good resource.

Have a very nice day.
Nicholas Barton

PostPosted: Mon 18 Jun, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

thanks heaps Jeffrey!!

i'm starting to get my harness together and was wanting something that would be period accurate, hadn't drawn the link with the helm, was looking early medieval (14th ish century) for it and was looking to far forward for the greaves.

time to make some adjustments to what i'm going to get so everything fits in the same time zone

Quinn W.

PostPosted: Mon 18 Jun, 2012 3:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just for reference, the 14th century is actually considered late medieval by most definitions.
"Some say that the age of chivalry is past, that the spirit of romance is dead. The age of chivalry is never past, so long as there is a wrong left unredressed on earth"
Nicholas Barton

PostPosted: Mon 18 Jun, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

thanks again, was never taught medieval history formally nothing beyond "this is a knight" and "this is a castle" silly private school
Wilhelm S.

PostPosted: Tue 19 Jun, 2012 6:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you google 40k cosplay there are some cool suits of power armor out there. I am a geek what can I say.
Quinn W.

PostPosted: Tue 19 Jun, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nicholas Barton wrote:
thanks again, was never taught medieval history formally nothing beyond "this is a knight" and "this is a castle" silly private school

Public school isn't much better until you get to the university level, or at least that's my experience in the United States. Since it's so under-emphasized at that level, the only real way to learn about it is typically outside of the classroom.
One of the best ways to get educated (which is essential if you're looking for something historically accurate) is to check out some books from your local library. All of my pre-college knowledge on the subject comes from independent learning like that.
Look around on the forums here and I'm sure you'll find some excellent book recommendations, and the Featured Content section of myArmoury has a plethora of information as well.

"Some say that the age of chivalry is past, that the spirit of romance is dead. The age of chivalry is never past, so long as there is a wrong left unredressed on earth"

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Grey Knight Armour
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic