Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > The Reproductions of A&A (photo-intensive) Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Wed 10 Nov, 2004 6:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Happy Did I mention that I love Arms and Armor's work? Did I? Their stuff is absolutely fantastic! I will say that my katzbalger also has a definite unsharpened ricasso that runs about 1/3 of the blade length. I've purchased two reasonably high dollar (for me anyway) custom or semi-custom swords recently but now it's time to get back to purchasing from Arms and Armor! I was going to get their version of the St. Maurice sword, but now SOMEONE has got me thinking about that writhen rapier... Whichever one, they will get my next sword money.
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
M. Taylor

PostPosted: Wed 10 Nov, 2004 9:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The guys at A&A definitely don't get the press they deserve. I now own a GBS (thanks again, Bill) and it's just a beautiful beast! I fell in love with it from the moment I pulled it out of the box. Nathan, do you have any more pics of the original the GBS was based on?
"Only people not able to grow tall from their own efforts and achievements seek to subdue their fellow man."
"Only people not being able to find comfort in their own mind seek to silence others. " - Per Bylund
Kenneth Enroth

PostPosted: Wed 10 Nov, 2004 10:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Don't forget the coolest two-hander on the market. Of course you could buy three or four from the standard lineup for the 2400 USD this baby costs. It has to be a lot of work to build one of these.

Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Wed 10 Nov, 2004 11:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well it's to be expected, most of their lineup has been around for some time so it's harder for them to generate a "buzz" in the community. However that doesn't in any way reflect on their quality or skills. In my opinion their swords are probably still some of the best production pieces in the industry, probably the best replicas in the industry (by that I mean swords that are patterned after particular originals, and yes I might change that opinion after seeing some of the Museum Line from Albion Happy ) and I don't think that there's a production rapier maker that can touch them.

Nathan if I can ask where did you find the picture of the original GBS? All I've ever seen before were illustrations...

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 10 Nov, 2004 11:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
Nathan if I can ask where did you find the picture of the original GBS? All I've ever seen before were illustrations...

A&A has cited this for their German Bastard Sword:
Quote:
Original: c. 1500 German, provenance unknown, pictured in " Arms and Armour", Blackmore, p.32

I purchased that book a few years ago specifically due to this reference. You'll also notice the same scan in Patrick's Review of the Sword and in my Collection Page.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Lloyd Clark

PostPosted: Wed 10 Nov, 2004 11:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have the AA Knightly Sword which is a tremendous blade. I love to cut with this thing especially from horseback and "backhanded" as the balance of the blade is a beauty to behold.

I will be bringing it out to the cutting party this Saturday, so that everyone will get a chance to cut with it.

Of course Chris makes great blades - he used to be a jouster!

Cheers,

Lloyd Clark
2000 World Jousting Champion
2004 World Jousting Bronze Medalist
Swordmaster
Super Proud Husband and Father!
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 10 Nov, 2004 11:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lloyd Clark wrote:
Of course Chris makes great blades - he used to be a jouster!

Just as point of clarification to new people not really versed in A&A and their work: A&A is a company with a half-dozen or more people working for them. Chris isn't the only craftsman there. If anything, Craig Johnson could be credited for most of the blade shaping, grinding, and finishing. There are many others, including Chris Poor, who are doing the cutlery . An interesting point, Chris does a lot of the armor work, as far as I know.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Stephen A. Fisher

PostPosted: Wed 10 Nov, 2004 8:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

two more...... Cool

Attachment: 110.87 KB
aalhsm.jpg
A&A Custom Loop-hilt

Attachment: 88.62 KB
germhilt.jpg
A&A Custom German Side Sword
Mark Mattimore

Reading list: 41 books

PostPosted: Wed 10 Nov, 2004 9:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I received my first A&A piece last month, the German Bastard Sword, and I must say that everything I’ve read about their craftsmanship and quality is absolutely true. It is a tremendously powerful sword that feels comfortable in the hands and responds with a quickness that belies its size and weight. It is definitely a weapon of contradictions. The sword is both beautiful and terrible. I am scared of it, yet I can’t look away. And in my hands it conveys a sense of power that I have felt with few blades before. I haven’t yet begun to do any serious cutting with it but am looking forward to striking down many imaginary foes with this mighty weapon.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > The Reproductions of A&A (photo-intensive)
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: