Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Polypropylene Longsword Trainer Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Doug B.

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jun, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Polypropylene Longsword Trainer         Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

I used the search function, but couldn't find a topic on this--sorry if I missed it.

I sparred with a polypropylene practice longsword today and it was incredible. I have only been using a shinai up until this point, but these plastic/nylon/polypropylene sword felt much better. I do not know the brand that we used so I was looking for some help.

I looked through (almost) all the dealer links from this site and it seems that there are only a few distributors of these types of trainers. CAS Hanwei, Cold Steel, and Museum Replicas were the only ones I could find.

Does anyone have any recommendations for where to look? Or what you like to use?

Also, for reference, here is the weapon I used today. http://i.imgur.com/qRKRT.jpg

Thanks
Nathaniel Gage

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jun, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A term you might want to include in your search is 'waster,' which to my understanding is simply another term for such a practice sword. The one you used was nylon, and though I'm nearly certain I've seen that exact model elsewhere I'm unable to find it at present.

CAS Iberia has something similar to what you used for $75: the Rawlings Synthetic Sparring Swords. On this site there are several options for customization, although the line is only two years old as far as I can find. It looks well put together, tightly-fitted with blades that are solid and yet bendable enough to be durable. There are several reviews floating around out there. I'll include the one I found useful below.

Sword - http://www.casiberia.com/syntheticTrainers.aspx

Review - http://www.swordforum.com/forums/showthread.p...nge-Review
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jun, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well I have two of these by Cold Steel: http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=...ning+Sword

I personally like them but others might have criticisms and other preferences.

A) They are mostly wood waster substitutes and not safe if one hits full force with them on unprotected body parts: DON'T CONFUSE THEM WITH SOFT FOAM SWORDS !

( NOTE: This wasn't a problem for me as our group trained using a non-touch system with very little body protection except for fencing mask and light weight leather gloves. We did put high emphasis on control and although light hits where expected to happen at times we where also expected to stop our blows just short of contact or pull back at contact ).

B) When used in pairs I found that they slid on the bind more like steel than wooden wasters. They flex a bit more on the flats than on the edges like steel than the totally rigid in all directions wooden wasters: Worked well in the bind for me at least

C) Compatible if used against a wooden waster but not as slippery if not used in pair. ( Not compatible against steel )

D) Practically indestructible.

E) Blades a little short compared to my steel Albion blunt and the handles are also maybe an inch or two too short, but I still found them usable as one can adapt to shorter or longer swords to a degree.

So as wasters, good, but nothing is closer to a real sword than a steel blunt. Wink Big Grin Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Tom King

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jun, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

http://www.woodenswords.com/WMA/index.htm
Doug B.

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jun, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tom King wrote:

Excellent! Great find!

And thanks for the feedback from everyone. I have homework to do!
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jun, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Doug B. wrote:
Tom King wrote:

Excellent! Great find!

And thanks for the feedback from everyone. I have homework to do!

Yes I have also wood wasters from this company and they are very good quality: After a lot of use they hardly show any signs of impacts.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jun, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey, I recognize that floor. Wink

Doug, that's the Pentii synthetic waster by Purpleheart Armory. If you were bouting with Jonathan Gordon, today, then you were using mine. Happy They have their flaws, but all in all, they're probably the best mass-produced synthetic wasters out there at the moment.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Doug B.

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jun, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:
Hey, I recognize that floor. Wink

Doug, that's the Pentii synthetic waster by Purpleheart Armory. If you were bouting with Jonathan Gordon, today, then you were using mine. Happy They have their flaws, but all in all, they're probably the best mass-produced synthetic wasters out there at the moment.

Haha, Bill!! In that case, thank you for letting me borrow it. I learned a lot from Jonathan today. Hopefully I gave him a run for his money as he prepares for Longpoint.
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Sun 10 Jun, 2012 6:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Do these hold up to use in armour? What about bucklers? Is it softer or more likely to chip than wood?

These seem to be simply used in place of wooden practice swords. Are they harder than wood? If some one uses wood for their current practice needs does this work in their place?

RPM
Philip Melhop

PostPosted: Sun 10 Jun, 2012 8:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Randall Moffett wrote:
Do these hold up to use in armour? What about bucklers? Is it softer or more likely to chip than wood?

These seem to be simply used in place of wooden practice swords. Are they harder than wood? If some one uses wood for their current practice needs does this work in their place?

RPM

Can't comment about armour, but the Rawlings blades do take a little damage from steel bucklers especially if they don't have rolled edges. Usually the damaged area can be smoothed out.
We are currently trialing a couple of Cold Steel polypropyline bucklers, these need a small amount of smoothing before use but otherwise seem to work well.
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 10 Jun, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Randall Moffett wrote:

I would not recommend regular use against steel armor. They'll last longer than wood will, but they dent and you'll eventually have the the plastic "shave" off.

Quote:

Plastic is more flexible than wood, so these will bend rather than snap in the long run. They can be used against wooden wasters (the wood, being harder, will slightly dent the plastic over a long period of time, but not very badly)

Synthetics are kind of the big craze right now in the HEMA scene for free play because they aren't too expensive and they allow a person to do heavy free play with moderate safety gear. They have a lot of flaws, including how they feel with they bind (these Purpleheart's are the best I've seen for that, but they still aren't steel), so they aren't perfect. But they're a nice tool to keep in the arsenal to round out a person's training, provided you also ultimately are training with proper and accurate steel weapons.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Polypropylene Longsword Trainer
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic