Go to page 1, 2  Next

The Reproductions of A&A (photo-intensive)
As many of you know, I'm a fan of reproductions of authentic swords over those that are adaptations or modern creations. That's not to say that I don't care for the other types of swords out there, but I'm definitely appreciative of any attempt to study and recreate an authentic piece of history. While every reproduction suffers inaccuracies due to many things--lack of hand's on experience of the original, budgetary concessions, forced decisions based on corrosion, etc.--I think there's no doubt that the art of creating reproductions is a skilled one for sure.

I thought it might be interesting to check out a maker who's not only been doing such reproductions for well over a decade, but has been doing it well. This maker is Arms & Armor of Minnesota and this is a sampling of their work contrasted with the historic inspiration:

Gustav Vasa Rapier
[ Linked Image ]

Dresden Rapier Set
[ Linked Image ]

Katzbalger
[ Linked Image ]

German Bastard Sword
[ Linked Image ]

Medici Falchion
[ Linked Image ]

Writhen Rapier
[ Linked Image ]

German Rapier
[ Linked Image ]

Custom Stibbert Museum-inspired Rapier
[ Linked Image ]

Bohemian Broadsword
[ Linked Image ]

Click any photo to see the higher-resolution detailed version
Thanks for putting that together Nathan! They do really nice work, don't they?
I've personally been waiting for Albion to come out with a NG dagger line, although with the number of sword models currently on the table that might be a long while! Also, daggers might be disproportionately expensive given the NG labor requirements. Who knows?
I have to say, my favorites within A&A's line have to be the "Writhen" styles and the "12th Century Sword."

Brian M

Last edited by Brian M on Mon 08 Nov, 2004 9:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brian M wrote:
I've personally been waiting for Albion to come out with a NG dagger line, although with the number of sword models currently on the table that might be a long while! Also, daggers might be disproportionately expensive given the NG labor requirements. Who knows?

What's this have to do with A&A's reproductions?
They've certainly been a favorite of mine for a while! Especially one particular one out of the pieces Nathan pictured... can anyone guess which one? ;)

I recently got to see in person a German rapier and Writhen rapier, and was blown away. I've always loved the German rapier (and almost bought one before deciding to go full custom with A&A instead), but the Writhen was the one that really blew me away. I've always thought, "Nice looking sword, but not really my thing," until I saw one for real. Wow, the photos don't do either one enough justice, and the Writhen literally glittered in the light. Man, I've far overblown my sword funds for sometime, but if I had the money, both of those would be mine...
I like A&A swords. I shoud be getting a claymore from them soon.

Interesting that the original katzbalger doesn't have a ricasso. It does add some detail to the reproduction but when pieces deviate from their originals it's usually beacuse details were left out not added to. I'm very attracted to the katzbalger. It would be a cool piece to have but so would the GBS and the 15th century two-hander, writhen rapier, german branch sword etc. The katzbalger in paricular I am very curious about. It just has that effect on me. At the same time it's a bit of an oddity compared to the other alternatives.

That Gustav Vasa is a real stunner. But I would like it gold plated. The gold just adds so much to it.
Kenneth Enroth wrote:
Interesting that the original katzbalger doesn't have a ricasso. It does add some detail to the reproduction but when pieces deviate from their originals it's usually beacuse details were left out not added to. I'm very attracted to the katzbalger..

Neither the original nor the repro katzbalger has a ricasso They both, however, have two deep and wide fullers. It's a bit hard to make out in the photo, but they're there on the original too and go down the blade about the same length (1/3 if I remember right). I'll see if I can find another photo of that piece that shows more of the blade. I know I have one somewhere.
I always thought the German rapier looks very well made,
but now with the comparison pic side by side,i'm more impressed,
Also at the price point,money well spent,
are these the updated pricing that was mentioned,
i try not to punish myself too much by not checking the site overly often, ;)

Bill,
If your desparate for an A+A fix, i might manage to make room for that ES pappenheimer you recently picked up and send the cheque direct to A+A, :D
Lee O'Hagan wrote:

Bill,
If your desparate for an A+A fix, i might manage to make room for that ES pappenheimer you recently picked up and send the cheque direct to A+A, :D

You know, it just arrived in the mail today. And I've decided that I would shoot myself in the foot before giving it up. ;)
:lol:
Good for you,
I think i'll just have to have a serious look through the A+A site again when i'm ready, :)
Nathan Robinson wrote:
Kenneth Enroth wrote:
Interesting that the original katzbalger doesn't have a ricasso. It does add some detail to the reproduction but when pieces deviate from their originals it's usually beacuse details were left out not added to. I'm very attracted to the katzbalger..

Neither the original nor the repro katzbalger has a ricasso They both, however, have two deep and wide fullers. It's a bit hard to make out in the photo, but they're there on the original too and go down the blade about the same length (1/3 if I remember right). I'll see if I can find another photo of that piece that shows more of the blade. I know I have one somewhere.

The katzbalger review says "ricasso length: 6,5 inches". Maybe it should be changed to "fuller length".
Kenneth Enroth wrote:
Nathan Robinson wrote:
Kenneth Enroth wrote:

The katzbalger review says "ricasso length: 6,5 inches". Maybe it should be changed to "fuller length".

I stand corrected! I'm not sure I would call it that, but A&A does and Patrick Kelly did in his review. The edges were sharpened there on mine. Not sure I'd call it a ricasso.
Perhaps they changed it then. Beacuse on A&A:s pictures it looks like the edges of the ricasso are blunt. Is it an old example you had?
Kenneth Enroth wrote:
Perhaps they changed it then. Beacuse on A&A:s pictures it looks like the edges of the ricasso are blunt. Is it an old example you had?

My review of the Katzbalger is several years old, but at the time of that review the sword did feature a pronounced ricasso.
Kenneth Enroth wrote:

Yeah, mine was way old. Probably '96. A&A i one of those maker's that quietly improves and changes their products over time. They evolve to make them better and more accurate without over-hyping the fact. If anything, they could be blamed for not taking advantage of this fact. It's a very good thing they do, and I think we'd like to hear about it.
Bill Grandy wrote:
Lee O'Hagan wrote:

Bill,

You know, it just arrived in the mail today. And I've decided that I would shoot myself in the foot before giving it up. ;)

Well why didn't you say that was all it would take to pry it away from you in the first place. ;)

Last edited by Joe Fults on Tue 09 Nov, 2004 6:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Here is another photo of the antique that A&A used as inspiration for its katzbalger:

[ Linked Image ]
Click photo to for detailed version

Can't tell for sure if it's sharp or dull, but it sure does look like a ricasso. Not only was I wrong with the statement above, but it's a good example of a plague that our community suffers: the spouting off of bits of info based on a single experience without really putting too much thought into it. Sorry for doing that. I'll endeavor to do better.
Not to forget the German Branch Sword!

[ Linked Image ][ Linked Image ]
My next A&A purchase, whenever that is, will undoutedly be this piece.

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

This one looks pretty spot on when compared to the photo of the original in the Wallace Catalouge. I find the addition of the awl and by-knife fascinating.
A&A
Nathan,
Thanks for the photos. I got the Dresden set last fall, and it, as has been said about other A&A pieces, is even more stunning in vivo than in the photos. But lately I've been looking at that beautiful Gustav Vasa set you featured...and Patrick, your taste in daggers is spot on ;)
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: