Late Migration Sheild
Here is a shield I have been working on. It is a plywood core with linen cover, rawhide rim. Painted with french ochre.
further images can be found on my facebook work page. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.414758728536810.101595.145872495425436&type=1

This is beautiful... the colors are wonderful and I LOVE that boss...
Nice.
Flat board or lenticular?
Thanks Guys!.

Mathew, the board is flat, but beveled. A lenticular shield would have been interesting to explore , but was more than was necessary for its intended use.

Is there any evidence to suggest how the lenticular shields were made? Carved?
Wow... Love the motif. Very cool.
J Helmes wrote:
Is there any evidence to suggest how the lenticular shields were made? Carved?

Not a lot of direct evidence (the Duro boards give some clues but they're oval shields) but I've had the most success by deforming flat planks; tapering them top and bottom, cutting the butting edges to the correct angles and them steam forming the planks to get the final shape. All three need to be done accurately but it's not that much effort once you've worked out what you're doing and have the right forms and jigs.
It's a hell of a lot less effort than carving down from thicker planks as Rich Underwood did for his shield (as published in his book on Anglo Saxons weapons and warfare) and utilised techniques and tools that any culture capable of making staved barrels and sea worthy ships would have been more than familiar and comfortable with. Bevelling an otherwise flat board seems like a reasonable amount of work for a disposable item, carving 50%+ of the material away does not.

Another technique which has been proved to work is making the board from pie-slice shaped sections of board, with the butting edges meeting in the centre of the board and radiating towards the rim.
Never tried it myself but the technique was demonstrated by Steve Ethridge and other members of Regia in an episode of 'The Weapons that Made Britain' . It was lime wood with hide facing front and back and seemed to stand up very well under test conditions.
I just watched "The Weapons that Made Britain" series. Some neat stuff in there. It was interesting to see just how much better it fared against that axe. Is it possible to surmise period in time they go out of use?

Jeff
thats really nice! :) i love the boss on it.
did you make the ax too?
Hi Austin! Thanks ! I did make that axe. They are a real joy to make. I'd like to make a sheild like this for myself as well some time. I dream of having several sheilds hanging in my living room someday.
That is an excellent shield! I love the axe too.
what about that lenticular shield out of plywood and canvas that was also tested? its flattened conical shape reminds me alot of the round shields seen in byzantine art.

how would one possibly replicate such a odd design in a way to make it decently strong, and all without plywood?.. wouldyou use the smae 'pie slice idea' idea?
Jeff, that's great! Stellar job.
Very nice work.

Paul

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: