Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > 14th cent. lowland scots equipment Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
F Hynd

PostPosted: Mon 07 May, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: 14th cent. lowland scots equipment         Reply with quote

Over the last year or so ive been building up my kit and am now wanting to focus What ive got to the arms and armour of a lowland scots man at arms, low knight of the mid / late 14th century.

Specifically what kind of helm would best fit this and does anyone have any sources for the kinds of armour used.

Ive attached a picture of my kit a little while ago. there has been a few changes scince this pic was taken. ill get new pics once I can. I also have a new set of leg armour under construction.

many thanks.

Neil Melville

PostPosted: Mon 07 May, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Your best bet is to look at the carved gravestones of the West Highlands, either 'in the flesh', over much of Argyll and the islands such as Iona, or, less energetically, consult the standard book on them: 'Late Mediaeval Monumental Sculpture in the West Highlands' by K. Steer and J. Bannerman, published in 1977 by the Royal Commission. It's got all you need for 14th cent. arms & armour. Another good but less comprehensive book is 'Scottish Arms and Armour' by F. Cannan, pub. by Shire Books in 2009. As for the helm - a tall pointed bascinet with open face seems to be standard.
Cheers,
Neil

N Melville
Stephen Curtin

Reading list: 18 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 07 May, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Neil, I believe Mr. Hynd is looking for info regarding lowland men at arms, and not those of the highlanders. All I can advise on this matter would be that the arms and armour of the lowlands of Scotland were the same as those used in England or on the continent.
Éirinn go Brách
Jack W. Englund

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Mon 07 May, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Being Lowland, may I suggest sim. to the British
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Mon 07 May, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Basically plate is fairly common by this point. George Dunbar, a scottish noble and at one point the Earl of March had quite an extensive collection of armour listed in 1370's that had been taken some time prior to this. As a higher up scottish lord his armour would be likely very nice but here is a quick look: five bascinets, five breastplates, four pairs of plates, six pairs of bracers, two shields and eight pairs of gauntlets of iron. -Calender letter books of the city of London. Book H p. 30.

highlanders seems rather behind in armour at this time but Lowlanders seem to have done well in keeping up with this. When Barbour is doing Brus he indicates the Scots of the mid to late 14th in plate armour.

So your kit- The helmet and gauntlets are more a 15th century thing. If you are doing a late 14th century hourglass fingere gaunts work well. There are a number of earlier gauntlets from scale to rather complete ones on the John deEltham. The spaulders are OK but you likely should shorten the lames done to 1.25-1" each as they look a bit long. Once over lapped only some .75-1" will show. Do you have any pictures of the limb armour alone? The pair of plates if great for more or less all the 14th.

RPM
Neil Melville

PostPosted: Tue 08 May, 2012 8:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

oops, in my enthusiasm I missed the critical word 'lowland'. Sorry. Will do better next time.
Neil

N Melville
Neil Langley

PostPosted: Tue 08 May, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jack W. Englund wrote:

We're all British now, Scot's and all - but in the 14th century the lowland Scots were Britons too - and so I rather think you mean English here!

Neil.
Ryan S.

PostPosted: Tue 08 May, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Neil Langley wrote:
Jack W. Englund wrote:

We're all British now, Scot's and all - but in the 14th century the lowland Scots were Britons too - and so I rather think you mean English here!

Neil.

The Scots were always British (except when Ireland was Scotland), The Lowland Scots were Saxon.
F Hynd

PostPosted: Tue 08 May, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the replys guys. thanks for the suggestions of scorces ill need to have a look for them in the library system.
The few effigies i've been able to see have been quite badly damaged/ weathered when in situe and the two I have seen in store age i have no info on beyond there scotish.

So far in myArmoury i have
padded arming jack.
mail shirt
coat of plates,
small spaulders
half vambraces and rerebrace with articulated elbow.
mitten style gauntlets
mailed cheuses and knee cops.

bevor and ocular kettle helm

In the workshop i've just started work on a set of plate cheuses and articulated knees.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > 14th cent. lowland scots equipment
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic