9th century viking sword
Here is the blade for a viking sword that I will be finishing later this summer.

My intention with this blade was to create an effect, in form and function, similar to a sword of the period, but using modern steels. The core is a combination of pure iron (french ,not wrought), and carbon steel and the edge is a high layer laminate of high and medium carbon steels. This will give a subtle watering similar to smelted steel, but not as bright as a nickel steel laminate. The features are still very subtle at this point as the blade is only half polished and has only had a light etching.

I am intending to make a type H hilt for it with a full traditional overlay, done in copper and silver. I will also likely make a carved handle and an ornate scabbard for it. I am willing to entertain input on the hilt from someone with serious interest in purchasing this sword.

The blade is currently 75cm long.

Further images of this sword can be found on my facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jeff-Helmes-Bladesmith/145872495425436?v=wall

Jeff

Hello Mr. Helmes

I'm not sure what it is, exactly, but your work captures me more than any other custom smith I have seen, on this forum site or otherwise. Wonderful work
Re: 9th century viking sword
J Helmes wrote:
My intention with this blade was to create an effect, in form and function, similar to a sword of the period, but using modern steels. The core is a combination of pure iron (french ,not wrought), and carbon steel and the edge is a high layer laminate of high and medium carbon steels. This will give a subtle watering similar to smelted steel, but not as bright as a nickel steel laminate. The features are still very subtle at this point as the blade is only half polished and has only had a light etching.

Beautiful, as usual Jeff, and not a little bit intimidating! You're on fire! I expect most of us collectors don't appreciate the metalurgy (if that's the right word), but it certainly makes for a pretty pattern. What I appreciate is the general blade geometry, the curvature of the profile and the progression of the fuller, which seems spot-on for the period. We already have something on the backburner; hopefully this one finds a home where it will be apprecited. Should be in an art gallery! -JD
Jeff, that blade is stunning. Very Sutton Hoo'ish. looking forward to seeing this one competed.
Thank you gentlemen. I appreciate the encouragement. I am looking forward to progressing on this sword but for the moment I have to set it aside to complete some jobs.

Doug, I am looking forward to starting our project in the near future.

Matt, I afraid the picture is a tad misleading . The image is taken on an angle so in real life the blade is actually longer than it appears in the above picture. I would love to do a sutton hoo reproduction at some point in my career. It is the holy grail of many a bladesmith.

Jeff
Looks really good Jeff. A type H will be superb on this one! Can't wait to see it done.
Really impressive work! As usual... :D :cool:
beautiful work... someday I hope to achieve this sort of thing.

Question... can you explain the difference between French and wrought iron?
Thanks guys.

Scott, I sure can. The difference is that this is simply pure iron purchased from France. I think it might be a Bessemer product, but I cant find the website for it any more. I had a little bit from the shop I used to work at a few years back and they had purchased some for a job. I referred to it as French simply because from time to time wrought iron is also called pure iron and I just wanted to insure that there is no mistaking that this is not wrought iron. It was the first time I had ever used it in a blade and I am happy with the results.

Jeff
Thanks.... So I'm assuming no etching pattern and sweet as butter to forge?
Yep, and no de-laminations as well.
Viking sword blade
Very nice Jeff, how about considering hilting this up as late migration period sword to go with your new shield ;)

best
Dave
I'd be open to that Dave. The blade is a bit more elongated in person than in the pic i have posted here. The shot was taken at an angle.

The shield went off to it's current owner though. It would be nice to make a version for me sometime.

Jeff

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: