Need help
I am new here and I am looking for help with a Flintlock pistol I have had for about 6 years but belonged to my grandfather who had it for 22 years or longer. The Flintlock pistol has a couple marking that I have found but I am having trouble finding the year or true country of orgin. On the barrel it has made in Belgium and down the side at the other side of the cocking hammer is a roman E then a G then a Star with the numbers following it of 17.6. The pistol weighs around 4-5lbs and I do not have any pictures of it but any help you all can give me would be helpfull. Also a friend of my that is into civil war guns told me that it was made around the 1900's but I thought that Flintlock era started to end during the time of the civil war.
Re: Need help
Kyle Pelley wrote:
I am new here and I am looking for help with a Flintlock pistol I have had for about 6 years but belonged to my grandfather who had it for 22 years or longer. The Flintlock pistol has a couple marking that I have found but I am having trouble finding the year or true country of orgin. On the barrel it has made in Belgium and down the side at the other side of the cocking hammer is a roman E then a G then a Star with the numbers following it of 17.6. The pistol weighs around 4-5lbs and I do not have any pictures of it but any help you all can give me would be helpfull. Also a friend of my that is into civil war guns told me that it was made around the 1900's but I thought that Flintlock era started to end during the time of the civil war.

Belgium was and still is a gun-making center. The fact that you have a flintlock, assuming that it is not a replica, places it quite a bit earlier than the 1900s. The markings you describe are probably the proof marks but the only references I have for Belgium are for 1856 and later and I doubt the pistol was made after that time. The proof marks used in Belgium since around 1893 have an L, E, & G with a star and crown so I suspect what you have is an earlier Liege mark.

The only way to be of much help is to have clear, detailed photos. If you can provide those we might be able to come up with some information for you.
Re: Need help
Lin Robinson wrote:
Kyle Pelley wrote:

Belgium was and still is a gun-making center. The fact that you have a flintlock, assuming that it is not a replica, places it quite a bit earlier than the 1900s. The markings you describe are probably the proof marks but the only references I have for Belgium are for 1856 and later and I doubt the pistol was made after that time. The proof marks used in Belgium since around 1893 have an L, E, & G with a star and crown so I suspect what you have is an earlier Liege mark.

The only way to be of much help is to have clear, detailed photos. If you can provide those we might be able to come up with some information for you.

Thanks and I will work on getting a picture of it and put it on here for you to see. Also does the mark they use have the E looking like a Greek E because that is what it looks like.
I've split this off into its own topic as it wasn't terribly relevant to the other discussion.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: