Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Cold Steel Viking Axe Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Phil D.

Reading list: 56 books

PostPosted: Sun 01 Apr, 2012 9:02 am    Post subject: Cold Steel Viking Axe         Reply with quote

It seems that Cold Steel is now making a large viking axe.It looks nice and sturdy w/a hickory haft.I hope that they do one of their usual cutting videos of this beast.

http://www.coldsteel.com/vikingaxe.html

"A bottle of wine contains more philosophy than all the books in the world." -- Louis Pasteur

"A gentleman should never leave the house without a sharp knife, a good watch, and great hat."
William Swiger

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Sun 01 Apr, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is a heavy axe.
M. Livermore

PostPosted: Sun 01 Apr, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeah. I am sure that length and weight will appeal to some, but I prefer a much lighter axe. My personal Dane axe is significantly lighter with an extra foot of reach. The head seems a bit off to me too, but I look forward to seeing a more detailed review and photos when some of these get out into public hands.
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 01 Apr, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It doesn't look that great to me. Too heavy with a simplistic geometry and non-historical construction. . . .
William P

PostPosted: Mon 02 Apr, 2012 5:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

its a bit overweight, but not ridiculously so,
my danish axe, shaft and all weighs 170grams this one is a BIT shorter than mine but at 4 feet its a fairly good shaft length for a daneaxe, but i cant comment on the historical details

its also fairly cheap dont forget, comparatively speaking.

it seems that cold steel has released a whole heap of new weapons recently which look really iteresting
Johan Gemvik

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 02 Apr, 2012 7:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Axes came in all manner of weights and shapes and most weren't made for battle primarily even though they could be used for it. I usually class battle or war axes as the ones with fullers or hollow ground blades that are swift and agile but still have most of the power of a big axe. But this is just guesswork based on form giving function.
This one looks just fine to me as a multi purpose viking age axe. I could see myself getting one of these to add some minor modification work to make it perfect to my standards in geometry while retaining the superior temper Cold Steel uses. I'm more than fine with that at this price range.

I wish they'd put an ash handle on it though and maybe have the choice of a curved haft as seen on the Bayeux, but I do see the practicality of using Hickory nowdays.

Adding fullers to the sides of the head and re-poling with a slightly curved ash haft, this could be a very nice axe for me actually. And I was looking for somethig Cold Steel to buy since Lynn has really given me great entertainment value with all those insane videos. Wink

"The Dwarf sees farther than the Giant when he has the giant's shoulder to mount on" -Coleridge
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Mon 02 Apr, 2012 9:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What is the cross section shape of the eye? A round eye and haft would eliminate it from my own consideration unless it was only for show/costuming/theater.

Cheers

GC
Robert W Tucker

PostPosted: Tue 15 Oct, 2013 5:58 am    Post subject: cold steel viking axe         Reply with quote

Hello,
I know this old but I thought I would post here I went ahead and bought one of these beast's, you know whats the worst that can happen the hole is not tear drop shaped but not round more oval but the haft and hole are huge making it to large in the hand for me the haft was probably 2 pounds of the weight so i shaved it down and it lightened it up quite a bit and made it easier to control I don't have pics yet but figured you real don't need them bought it from kult of athena and I saw on amazon there selling it for 90 dollars, I don't know much about pole weapons like this but yesterday it was still fun to cut bottles with the large handle and I noticed that it's not like swinging my sword momentum seems to continue is there some technique change this is info that seems hard to find the axe head is nice i don't see any extra material that could be removed, if you have any questions or answers for me just ask, also the weight at 4 pounds dose seem high but on wikipedia that seems to be at the top of the weight class as I can not find any other info about this.
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Tue 15 Oct, 2013 7:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Could you post a picture of it from above so that we could see the thickness and geometry of the head?
Daniel Wallace

PostPosted: Tue 15 Oct, 2013 8:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

i look at this and think its just another opportunity for some DIY work.

cold steel always seems to be making something interesting, and with just a little modification they could be better.
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Tue 15 Oct, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have had the opportunity to handle and cut with one, It's a beast. Sharp as a knife, and tracks like it has a laser-pointer on it. The example I used was riveted through the head all the way, and the hickory shaft was partially wrapped in leather. It was tremendous. I have not a bad word to say about it. As soon as I get a couple of pending sword deals done, I will have one on its way to me. This is a bad boy...make no mistake. CS got it right on this'un. Wink ..............McM
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Tue 15 Oct, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

By the way, a cutting video can be seen after doing a little search on YouTube. It's by a video show called 'Zombie Go Boom'. They use all kinds of different weapons to hack on fake blood-filled ballistic jelly zombie heads. Kinda neat. They also used a CS greatsword. Scary cut by Lynn Thompson himself. ........McM
Greg E

PostPosted: Tue 15 Oct, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Click on pictures a few times and they will increase in size.

Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Wed 16 Oct, 2013 2:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greg E wrote:
Click on pictures a few times and they will increase in size.

Thanks! It really looks like there is no unnecessary material in the head. Happy
William Swiger

PostPosted: Wed 16 Oct, 2013 5:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just ordered one. More curious than anything.
Robert W Tucker

PostPosted: Wed 16 Oct, 2013 5:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

thank you Greg E for the pics I made a couple yesterday just haven't got them on my computer yet I put a Canadian coin on the base of the axe head its as wide, I ended up shaving about A half inch of material off the shaft it really made a difference in the feel of the weapon it felt a little awkward before and I'm not a small man so take that info for what it's worth in my opinion its the only place cold steel tried to bulk up there product unnecessarily my axe shaft is still probably on the thick side. But with that aside can anyone direct me towards some sites, books, or manual's on fighting with weapons like this. Furthermore with a weight around 3 and a half pounds is that normal for a pole weapon no longer then a longsword
William P

PostPosted: Wed 16 Oct, 2013 5:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark Moore wrote:
By the way, a cutting video can be seen after doing a little search on YouTube. It's by a video show called 'Zombie Go Boom'. They use all kinds of different weapons to hack on fake blood-filled ballistic jelly zombie heads. Kinda neat. They also used a CS greatsword. Scary cut by Lynn Thompson himself. ........McM

I was actually a little dissapointed by that test, I can see the limitations of having nly one test head a piece ( i think), but, i was hoping lynn would actually SHOW using the axe with those shorter, more controlled cuts, rather than just talk about them, (the way i see it, is, and, this is aimed at all of cold steels test videos, is that they dont regularly show the weapons capacity in performing those quicker, more fight-realistic cuts with less follow through and more control, instead they tend to favour those really big, wound up blows with a LOT of follow through, the way i see it is, of COURSE the BIG cuts will do massive damage, i wanna see what it can do when it ISNT swung with all your might)

and also possibly show the lethal potential that that top horn has as a thrusting point against bare skin/ clothing (wouldnt be too good against armour)

both weapons, of course, lived up to their name though n the end as powerful weapons.

and ZGB (zombie go boom) itself has tested a mind boggling array of weapons and household items which gives some idea of the lethality of a VERY wide array of items (to a zombie, but also possibly to humans too)
Greg E

PostPosted: Wed 16 Oct, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I certainly have the impression that one could take off some material around the socket for sure. I might try to use my belt sander to do the job.
Daniel Wallace

PostPosted: Thu 17 Oct, 2013 8:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

after looking at the video link, I'm a little more impressed than at first. by the side profile picture in the original post, you can't really get a 3 dimensional impression of the head. looks like it has some pretty good geometry to it, long maybe, but i though that big Dane or bearded axes are meant to be about 6 feet tall.

the only thing i don't care for with it is the pin through the axe head. nice if you don't want to work with a wedge, but i see a wedge as easier to remount to another haft if you ever break it or just don't want it.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Cold Steel Viking Axe
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic