Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > What makes a sword a sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Paul Hansen

PostPosted: Tue 27 Mar, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

To me both wallhangers and machetes are clearly swords, as they may be (and are still) used as such.

But they are by no means "good" swords compared to an antique in good condition or, say, a sword made by Michael Pikula. Wink

And so the discussion becomes "what is a good sword", which is ultimately how well the end product resembles the intention of the owner or the maker. I would call a really good replica of a completely useless (or plain crappy) historical sword still a good sword, because it's a testament to the skill of the maker rather than to the skill of the original designer. On the other end of the scale, I also think my AT2104 is a good sword, because although it is not a historical design, it still functions well as a sword.

The best sword is the sword that is ideal for a certain task when used by a certain person. I mean, no matter of how good a swordsman you are, the ideal sword for I.33 is not ideal for Marozzo. Wink Then again, I think a good swordsman with a bad sword is still better than a bad swordsman with a bad sword.
Nick B.

PostPosted: Wed 28 Mar, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What make a sword a sword is the man who uses it. Oops, woman too, sorry ladies. Confused
Johan Gemvik

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 02 Apr, 2012 3:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Paul makes a good case, so I'm revising my earlier post to some degree.

There have always been crappy poorly made swords around, these would dull fast, bend or break when used just like most low budget or purely ornamental swords we see today. And then there were great well made ones. The better question then is "what makes a sword a good one?". What qualities are needed in a blade to be deemed of sufficient performance to be called good and proper? It would vary depending on what it's intended use is of course, i.e. a cutter needs different performance and design than a blunt trainer but both need their specific qualities.

"The Dwarf sees farther than the Giant when he has the giant's shoulder to mount on" -Coleridge

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > What makes a sword a sword
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: