Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Long handled swords with brazil nut pommels Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Mon 30 May, 2011 3:34 pm    Post subject: Long handled swords with brazil nut pommels         Reply with quote

I'm looking for pictures of swords with brazil nuts and grips longer than normal singlehanders, but they don't have to have full two handed grips. It's for one of my new custom projects. Similar to this sword from the Geibig article: http://www.myArmoury.com/view.html?features/pic_geibig21.jpg or this fantasy one (from a Game of Thrones, but looks quite historical), sword of Rob Stark (I couldn't find a better picture):

Attachment: 56.82 KB
tumblr_lk3dyndc0T1qitt1qo1_500.jpg

Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 30 May, 2011 10:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Don't forget the one in the "multiple miscellaneous" section of Records. I belive it's #8 in that section although I don't have the book handy.
Scott Woodruff

PostPosted: Mon 30 May, 2011 10:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There are a few threads showing such swords. Look for the "Early Great Sword" thread and "custom type N". I used to have all the relevant threads in my favorites because it can be hard to find the right thread here on myArmoury, but I erased them all.
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Wed 01 Jun, 2011 2:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Woodruff wrote:
There are a few threads showing such swords. Look for the "Early Great Sword" thread and "custom type N". I used to have all the relevant threads in my favorites because it can be hard to find the right thread here on myArmoury, but I erased them all.

Yes, good threads, I know about them, thanks anyway.
Tim, our member here, J.D. Crawford thinks that sword from Records might be the same as the one from the Geibig article, what do you think?
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Wed 01 Jun, 2011 2:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Triple fullered warsword with brazil nut pommel from this thread is also very interesting but the picture of it is not very good... http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...highlight=
Scott Woodruff

PostPosted: Thu 02 Jun, 2011 11:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Have you checked out Kazavecius's book on Lithuanian swords? It is available online and has a few examples of what you are looking for. Between the Kazavecius book, the myArmoury threads and the Geibig article, I think that pretty well covers every known example of the type. We'll have to dig up some new ones if we want more.
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Thu 02 Jun, 2011 3:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Could you find a link for me? Any google search including "Kazavecius" achieves no results...
Scott Woodruff

PostPosted: Thu 02 Jun, 2011 9:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sorry, I misspelled it. Here is the address: www.club-kaup.narod.ru/kaup_r_kazakevicius00_orig.html
J.D. Crawford

PostPosted: Fri 03 Jun, 2011 6:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Woodruff wrote:
Sorry, I misspelled it. Here is the address: www.club-kaup.narod.ru/kaup_r_kazakevicius00_orig.html

Thanks Scott, I've been looking for documentation on this area for some time and never saw this. -JD
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Mon 06 Jun, 2011 3:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Scott! Some very interesting stuff there...
These two might be pretty good examples of what I'm looking for, if proportions don't fool me, they do seem to have longer than normal grips:

Scott Woodruff

PostPosted: Fri 17 Jun, 2011 9:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think the first is indeed a long gripped sword, but the second probably is not, just a rather narrow-bladed 1-hander. Type P's were never long gripped as far as I know, but these Lithuanian swords can always surprise you. Also, I suspect that some of the illustrations may be subtly distorted, and it seems that such distortions in illustration always lean towards making the grip look longer, never shorter.
Scott Woodruff

PostPosted: Fri 16 Mar, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Actually, I looked it up and that type P has a 12cm long grip.
Bruno Giordan

PostPosted: Sat 17 Mar, 2012 6:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Luka, I have just played with one of such longswords ... very beautiful to see, 12 cm handle, very long blade but, but, but, darnedly blade heavy.

Are you sure you would really want such a blade for your project?
Phil D.

Reading list: 56 books

PostPosted: Sat 17 Mar, 2012 7:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is a beautiful one that Michael Pikula made for Rex Metcalf...the pic (see download) and specs are provided by Rex Metcalf from another post here on myArmoury.You can find his post with more pics (w/scabbard) if you scroll half way down the attached page:

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...ula+brazil

"A bottle of wine contains more philosophy than all the books in the world." -- Louis Pasteur

"A gentleman should never leave the house without a sharp knife, a good watch, and great hat."
Scott Woodruff

PostPosted: Sat 17 Mar, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bruno, am I to understand that you recently got to handle an original? If that is so, I am quite envious and would love to hear more about it.
Bruno Giordan

PostPosted: Sat 17 Mar, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Woodruff wrote:
Bruno, am I to understand that you recently got to handle an original? If that is so, I am quite envious and would love to hear more about it.

Scott,

yes I'm in the habit of writing to museums hoping in generous answers .. often I get some very good ones.

This original has a 12 cm tang. I could handle it even for a small dry handling. Had it been a replica I would have judged it a poor sword ... aha, you never cease to be amazed by what is behind a glass case, neither you can say absolute truths

Edit: pics removed for copyright issues. Ples do not diffuse them if downloaded.

Blade is long (more than 85 cm) I suppose the original owner was a robust knight. Sorry i was in a hurry so i couldn't take serious specs. Blade at the debole still wants to cut, yes, i could notice it

Last edited by Bruno Giordan on Mon 19 Mar, 2012 8:54 am; edited 2 times in total
Scott Woodruff

PostPosted: Sun 18 Mar, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow! Thank you very much Bruno. I am fascinated by ( even a little obsessed with ) these early greatswords. I really appreciate the pics and the measurements that you were able to provide. I really want to replicate one of these blade-heavy beasts, but I want to get it just right and not go too far nor fall short. If there are any other tidbits of information you can remember about this sword, I would really appreciate it. Things like approximate center of mass or even a more detailed comparison of how it felt in handling compared to other swords. Also, can you remember what the edge geometry was like? Did it have thin cutting edges or thicker axe-like edges? Is the entire tang length 12cm or is that the grip length? I find it interesting how students of the sword had to work so hard to disprove the myth of the crowbar sword only to find with further study that some swords are indeed quite crowbar-like. Variety is the spice of life! The blade I currently have has the following measurements- Blade length: 90cm, blade width at base: 5.45cm, blade width at 60cm: 4cm, blade thickness at base: 5.5mm, blade thickness at 60cm: 3.1mm. Fuller is 70 cm long and 10-16mm wide. Total tang size is 17 cm long by 2.1 cm wide. I think this blade is in the ballpark, but I want to make one with longer, wider tang, less profile taper and maybe thicker and/or with less distal taper. I am dying to get some detailed and accurate measurements of one of these swords so that I can proceed on something more than intuition and educated guesses. Thank you again Bruno, you have filled in another piece of the puzzle for me.
PS- what do you mean by "blade at debole still wants to cut, yes i notice it"?
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 18 Mar, 2012 12:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Check out this thread for early great swords: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=8309
Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Scott Woodruff

PostPosted: Sun 18 Mar, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Chad, I have seen it. Not much in the way of measurements. Marko Aleksic's paper on type N swords provides some good measurements, but not any info on total mass, blade thickness, distal taper, center of mass, pivot points, or any of those hard-to-find goodies that I so desperately want.
Bartek Strojek

PostPosted: Sun 18 Mar, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have rather small hands, and still can't really imagine 12cm tang to be comfortable for any sort of two handed grip, especially with brazil nut pommel.

I can be very well missing something, and it's just a speculation obviously, but I would agree with suggestion about large guy wanting some "big guns", but still one handed ones. Wink

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Long handled swords with brazil nut pommels
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: