Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Del Tin DT5134 "Maciejowski" Falchion Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Ralph Grinly

PostPosted: Mon 05 Mar, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: Del Tin DT5134 "Maciejowski" Falchion         Reply with quote

For quite a while, I've been considering this falchion and have finally bitten the bullet and ordered one. As a sword, I don't think it'd be all that great..but a cleaver - a real "zombie-chopper"?? I suspect it'd excel at that Big Grin
I have a couple of questions for the knowledgeable folks here. Firstly..does anyone know of any surviving specimens of a falchion like this? Photo's would be lovely Big Grin
Also..do you think something like this would be carried in a simple leather sheath, or just slung by a cord over a saddle ? I can't see it being possible to make a normal, wooden-cored scabbard for a blade shaped like this that wouldn't be totally impractical ?
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 05 Mar, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Del Tin DT5134 "Maciejowski" Falchion         Reply with quote

Ralph Grinly wrote:
For quite a while, I've been considering this falchion and have finally bitten the bullet and ordered one. As a sword, I don't think it'd be all that great..but a cleaver - a real "zombie-chopper"?? I suspect it'd excel at that Big Grin
I have a couple of questions for the knowledgeable folks here. Firstly..does anyone know of any surviving specimens of a falchion like this? Photo's would be lovely Big Grin
Also..do you think something like this would be carried in a simple leather sheath, or just slung by a cord over a saddle ? I can't see it being possible to make a normal, wooden-cored scabbard for a blade shaped like this that wouldn't be totally impractical ?

I have one of these and I like it a lot, makes a great chopper and could see it as useful as a survival back woods tool in a modern context.

A wooden scabbard would have to be wide mouth and sort of need a way to secure the chopper in the scabbard or be fitted to shield from the sharp edge but opening along the top and retained by a securing strap near the narrow part near the handle.

If sharpened it would seem hazardous to have it flopping around loose on a saddle or on one's waist.

As a sword the handle is fairly long but the blade fairly short but I could still use it defensively as a longsword but the lack of a guard would have to be compensated for by being careful. The reverse side with the points I see as useable like a flanged mace with only one flange and for hard parries sparring the edge from damage.

Oh, and as far as I know there are no surviving examples of these unfortunately.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Eric G.

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Mon 05 Mar, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Del Tin DT5134 "Maciejowski" Falchion         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:

A wooden scabbard would have to be wide mouth and sort of need a way to secure the chopper in the scabbard or be fitted to shield from the sharp edge but opening along the top and retained by a securing strap near the narrow part near the handle.

I had e cheapy dao sword once that had a scabbard that would work for this. The thing had only one edge, and the scabbard held it edge down. The back edge of the scabbard (or what matched up with the back edge of the blade) was open so that the sword would fit.

It was a lot like this one (perhaps the same one) that they have here on KoA
http://kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=KS5900B

I hope that helps with the scabbard question.

Eric Gregersen
www.EricGregersen.com
Knowledge applied is power.
Matthew Bunker

PostPosted: Mon 05 Mar, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm in the process of making wood-cored scabbards for a pair of these, one blunt and one sharp. I'll post pictures when they're done.
"If a Greek can do it, two Englishman certainly can !"
Sa'ar Nudel

PostPosted: Tue 06 Mar, 2012 7:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Indo-china region has a lot chopper-style implements in use, even today. Broad blades with no point, carried in sheathes made of wood or better, woven rattan, basket-like falt tubes, wide enough to accpet the wider part of the blade. Those sheaths are being carried on a cloth baldric or by the belt, suspended from a large wooden or horn hook.
Curator of Beit Ussishkin, regional nature & history museum, Upper Galilee.
Johan Gemvik

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 06 Mar, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lots of historical art depicting them, but no surviving artifacts that I know of either. I really like these, it's a shame we can't seem more detail on them.

By the way, are there any other manufacturers of this type of sword?

"The Dwarf sees farther than the Giant when he has the giant's shoulder to mount on" -Coleridge

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Del Tin DT5134 "Maciejowski" Falchion
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic