Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > MRL Hero's Warsword....Any feedback? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Wed 29 Feb, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: MRL Hero's Warsword....Any feedback?         Reply with quote

I just got my new MRL catalog and saw the Hero's Warsword Lowland claymore. Anyone have one? Just wondering if its worth the money.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Wed 29 Feb, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You can get it for less HERE at KOA. I don't have one, but just looking at the specs - over 7 lbs, and apparently no distal taper, plus the fact that it is made by Windlass says to me that, even at $200.00, it isn't worth it.

Also, looking at the advertising blurb, saying that this sword is like one used by Robert the Bruce -- didn't this sword type originate hundreds of years later?

Last edited by Roger Hooper on Wed 29 Feb, 2012 6:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 29 Feb, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The photos direct from MRL look great. The straight-on angles make it look fairly well proportioned and with good shape. The additional angles available at Kult of Athena, however, reveal its true shape. It looks hideous. The cross-guard is so flat and clunky. Ick.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Wed 29 Feb, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There is a sword nearly identical made by Macallen Armourers in Scotland that is said to be affiliated with Robert Bruce. They also make a nice Wallace(not Braveheart) replica. Oh well...I figured it would be a boat anchor.....Think I'll look farther into other aspects.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 29 Feb, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark Moore wrote:
There is a sword nearly identical made by Macallen Armourers in Scotland that is said to be affiliated with Robert Bruce. They also make a nice Wallace(not Braveheart) replica. Oh well...I figured it would be a boat anchor.....Think I'll look farther into other aspects.

I don't see anything that looks nearly identical to that on the MacAllen Armourer site. In fact, the photos on the MacAllen site are so poor it's hard to identify how the items actually look. I think perhaps you might have skimmed my point, above, in that the MRL sword looks pretty good in profile (two-dimensions, straight-on), but when you see the other angles that reveal the shaping in three-dimensions, it reveals how poor the shaping is. I have no way of knowing how MacAllen swords look because they only have small photos at one angle so I cannot comment further on that aspect.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Wed 29 Feb, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As I said....a boat anchor.
Robert Rytel

PostPosted: Thu 01 Mar, 2012 5:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Basically a 3/16 inch thick leaf spring or section of junked ship bulkhead with an edge on it. But what I find interesting is that Windlass is peening their tangs now.
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Thu 01 Mar, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Windlass tangs         Reply with quote

Windlass is making a much better batch of products these days. Many of their swords are still screw on pommel models,but the ones that are peened are,I've been told, much improved by it.
William P

PostPosted: Fri 02 Mar, 2012 1:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

what about hanwei's lowlander, is that any better?

and besides. wasnt robert the bruce more commonly seen using an axe, like at his fateful encounter with sir Henry de bohun before the battle of bannokburn
Matthew P. Adams

PostPosted: Fri 02 Mar, 2012 9:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just received my Lowlander.

The good: It balances right at the bottom of the ricasso (tip held down). The vibration nodes are in the right place. It has proper distal taper.

The bad: On mine, EVERY thing is loose. The cross guard isn't press fit, it just slides on. The grip will twist around the tang. The pommel is hollow. The leather lacing has started to tear where the pommel screws over it. Also the tang is a little narrower than would be my preference.

It may sound like I'm not happy, but I really like this sword a lot. It reminds me of refurbishing an old motorcycle. The shocks sag, the breaks are wooden, its underpowered, but its still got charm.

I'm lucky enough to have access to a machine shop, and I'm getting a pommel made that will key onto the tang, and be held with a recessed nut. I'm building a new grip for it, I just picked up some epoxy for the grip, and a large rat tail file to turn some of the ricasso into wider tang shoulders. If you are willing to take on a project, then its worth it.

Also, you may end up with one that fits together much better than mine, so there is that.

Bottom line, for just over two hundred, including shipping, I would not hesitate to do it again. I love how it handles, and I believe I can make it sturdy enough.

... of course it isn't all together yet, so time will tell.

Hope this helps,
Matthew

"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training" Archilochus, Greek Soldier, Poet, c. 650 BC
Smood R.

PostPosted: Tue 25 Jun, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Matthew thanks for your reply. Are you referring to the Windlass or the Hanwei sword?

Secondly I thought the wrap of the hero's war sword was wire wrap but not made of leather. Does it seem like its actually leather?

Thanks!
Meng Lee

PostPosted: Wed 13 Nov, 2013 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: MRL Hero's Warsword....Any feedback?         Reply with quote

Mark Moore wrote:
I just got my new MRL catalog and saw the Hero's Warsword Lowland claymore. Anyone have one? Just wondering if its worth the money.

Don't get it. I have it, it came sharpened and good quality looking. Only one thing I don't like about it. When you hold it down, on it's side. It will bend, from it's own weight. But other than that, it cuts branches off trees great. I don't recommend cutting anything thicker than tree branches, because I don't know if it is built for pure brute strength slamming. Just a display piece, for sure. Since I don't think great swords are supposed to bend so easily.
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Wed 13 Nov, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks, Meng.....Boy, this is an old topic! I'd forgotten all about it. No, I have no intentions of buying one new. If someone were to advertise one for sale pre-owned for about 100 bucks or so, I might think about it. With a blade that size, I could cut it down to a nice big single-hander. Thanks again............McM
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Wed 13 Nov, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

An even older discussion about the construction of the big and long MRL swords. The Pavia is the same timeline as the Hero's sword.

http://www.swordforum.com/forums/showthread.p...d-of-Pavia

Cheers

GC
Mark Moore

PostPosted: Thu 14 Nov, 2013 5:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks, Glen....I'd seen that before. I fear something like that is probably also the case with the Hero. Still a lot of steel there for a project blade.............McM
Meng Lee

PostPosted: Thu 27 Feb, 2014 1:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Even with it having the wobble problem. I would recommend it over the Lowlander Sword. I had a Lowlander Sword, and it tried to kill me. When it broke in half, after I did a hard right slash. At least I know my Hero's Warsword won't try to betray me like my Lowlander Sword did.
Just tape it with hockey tape, and you should be safe using it without having to worry about it killing you. Just make sure you don't get the Lowlander Sword. It is a bad hollow designed fake wall hanger sword.
Here is a video of me swinging my Hero's Warsword.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JexvzuGQAE
Michael Beeching

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Thu 27 Feb, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: MRL Hero's Warsword....Any feedback?         Reply with quote

Meng Lee wrote:
Mark Moore wrote:

Don't get it. I have it, it came sharpened and good quality looking. Only one thing I don't like about it. When you hold it down, on it's side. It will bend, from it's own weight. But other than that, it cuts branches off trees great. I don't recommend cutting anything thicker than tree branches, because I don't know if it is built for pure brute strength slamming. Just a display piece, for sure. Since I don't think great swords are supposed to bend so easily.

How much bending are we talking about here? Greatswords are never nearly as heavy as people think they are, and the heaviest practical swords I can think of only weighed up to 10 lbs: http://www.thearma.org/essays/2HGS.html

Because they are light in comparison to their size, and they are often for cutting, the blades will flex a bit under their own weight to some noticable degree, even if small. Even my Type XIIIb arming sword does this to a very small extent, and has a blade just over 30 inches
Meng Lee

PostPosted: Thu 27 Feb, 2014 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: MRL Hero's Warsword....Any feedback?         Reply with quote

Michael Beeching wrote:
Meng Lee wrote:
Mark Moore wrote:

How much bending are we talking about here? Greatswords are never nearly as heavy as people think they are, and the heaviest practical swords I can think of only weighed up to 10 lbs: http://www.thearma.org/essays/2HGS.html

Because they are light in comparison to their size, and they are often for cutting, the blades will flex a bit under their own weight to some noticable degree, even if small. Even my Type XIIIb arming sword does this to a very small extent, and has a blade just over 30 inches

It will stop wobbling, when taped with hockey tape. 9 to 10 inches on the blade, above the guard. It cuts bottles, skinny branches, and twigs beautifully. For only $200, and customizing it for safe use. It is a good sword, because you can sharpen it, if it ever gets dull from abuse. The Lowlander Sword, I wasn't able to sharpen it. Because it was made from cheap metal, maybe junk yard metal from long ago. The metal from the Hero's Warsword is surely new and solid, not hollow like it's rival. The Lowlander Sword, is not safe to use. Just a warning. It will break, and maybe hit it's wielder.
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Fri 28 Feb, 2014 3:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, some Lowlanders saw pretty heavy use and are still going strong. Every manufacturer can make a defective sword and you got one. Hollow pommel is not a bad thing if the tang is peened properly over the top. One could buy a Lowlander, take of the pommel and peen it again to be sure it's done properly. And Hanwei blades are in most cases good blades. I'm sure if you take all Lowlanders and all Hero swords on both sides there will be swords with their problems, but I think Hanwei makes better swords in general.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > MRL Hero's Warsword....Any feedback?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic