Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New member intro and request for armorer recommendation Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Kuo Xie

PostPosted: Wed 29 Feb, 2012 2:15 am    Post subject: New member intro and request for armorer recommendation         Reply with quote

Hello, I have been a lurker here at myArmoury for years and have really learned a lot from reading the great contributions which make up this site. Just decided it was time to join up and hopefully contribute something to the community from time to time.

I have always loved reading about the spectacle, pageantry, equipment and fighting ability of the medieval knight especially pre-14th century. After seeing so many good-looking kits here I've decided to start my own with a visored sugarloaf helm. I know this is not a commonly represented type of helm but they do show up in some artwork and they look so damn cool:

And here is a crude sketch of what I am looking for. These pictures are from Die Ritterschmiede armory and I've drawn over them to show the desired outline of the visor:

It looks like this style is pretty scarce in the production realm so I am not averse to going custom. I'd prefer to buy American to save on shipping costs. If you guys could point at some good helm makers I would really appreciate recommendations.

Thanks again
Kuo Xie

PostPosted: Wed 29 Feb, 2012 2:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

And here is an image I found on this forum quite a long time ago, I forget who posted it and which source it's from:

I'm looking for something like the helm on the far left.
Paul Hansen

PostPosted: Wed 29 Feb, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think that the photo's show a visored barbute, whose historicity is a matter of discussion, as I understand it.

For a bascinet it seems a bit long in the back...

I'm not aware of any visored great helms or sugarloafs.

Welcome to the forum!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New member intro and request for armorer recommendation
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic