Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Reworking the pommel on the Hanwei practical hand and a half Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jimi Edmonds

PostPosted: Tue 21 Feb, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reworking the pommel on the Hanwei practical hand and a half         Reply with quote

Quick question:
The older Hanwei Practical Hand and a Half, I think 3rd gen. with the massive pommel...you all know the one, now is the pommel hollow or solid?
I have searched on this and there is speculation weither being hollow or not.
I have reworked the practical Norman and knightly sword, changing the hilts on both, with little work on the knightly's pommel, now I what I am wanting to do, as I have to fix the grip due to the horrid Hanwei not tight to tang grips I thought I'd grind the pommel down to a better size as I hate the large size it is [I like the later version as one of the guys in our group has one]...
Anyway my question is: Is the pommel of this sword hollow? Has anybody ground it down? I am wanting to take the edges closer to the rasied section thus making the bulk smaller.

I would've put the knightly swords pommel on it but seems to small and as I have it already on a short sword!.

cheers Jim.
Christopher Denby

PostPosted: Tue 21 Feb, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've removed the pommel and added a custom wood core/grip to mine. From what I saw the pommel is hollow to some extent. As you will know reducing the mass of the pommel will make it more tip heavy.
Jimi Edmonds

PostPosted: Tue 21 Feb, 2012 11:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello, yes I figured the pommel would be simular to the other practical line swords with the hollow slot that the grip fits into, as with the grip I replaced the other two swords I have [Norman/Knightly] with tight to tang oak grips. With the blade ending up blade/tip heavy thats no drama, its expected..
Jimi Edmonds

PostPosted: Wed 22 Feb, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So no-one has done any grinding of the very large pommel put on the earlyer Hanwei Practical Hand and a half?
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 22 Feb, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jimi Edmonds wrote:
So no-one has done any grinding of the very large pommel put on the earlyer Hanwei Practical Hand and a half?

Please wait longer before assuming no one has an answer. It has been less than 24 hours since your first post.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Jimi Edmonds

PostPosted: Wed 22 Feb, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Jimi Edmonds wrote:

Please wait longer before assuming no one has an answer. It has been less than 24 hours since your first post.

AHhhha I'm an impateint person...guess I'll have to wait anyway as my garage/workshop is now a swimming pool!..bloody rain..
Peter Messent

PostPosted: Thu 23 Feb, 2012 9:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Is the pommel threaded? If not, have you removed it from the sword? If it's already been removed, or you are going to remove it, you could measure its volume by placing it in a measuring jug of water to see how much it displaces. Then weigh it to work out its density; iron and steel have a weight range that should be encompassed within the high end of 7-8g/cm^2. Cast iron should be a little lighter. If it's significantly lighter, then hollow indeed! Big Grin

I do base this method on the pommel being a known material, though I think that all the practical line have steel pommels.

If it does wind up being hollow, you could buy a solid piece of steel/iron and make one to your liking, and at the same time, tailor the balance of the sword to your own liking.
Jimi Edmonds

PostPosted: Thu 23 Feb, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello the pommel is peened, and I have no idea how to work out the maths other than putting the pommel in some water! I figure that because the practical Norman and Knightly appear to be having solid pommels that the 3rd gen Hand and a half would be solid also..
cheers.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Reworking the pommel on the Hanwei practical hand and a half
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic