Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Test fitting my Thorkil helm Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jeff A. Arbogast

PostPosted: Wed 15 Feb, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject: Test fitting my Thorkil helm         Reply with quote

Hello fellow enthusiasts,
I got my Phrygian Norman helm from Thorkil in Mid-January and with some apprehension I tried it on (Please God don't let it be too small or something like that). As it turned out, my fears were unfounded. It fit me perfectly. Not too small, not too large. Everything was perfect. I guess the wood clamp I used to measure myself (I didn't have the caliper Greg suggested) actually worked. But as of yet I hadn't posted any pictures of how it looks on me, so it was a good excuse to put these up. Wink Sorry, I couldn't help myself. I'm not wearing my kit (too cold outside) so I just used a black t-shirt. I'll do the whole kit thing when the weather breaks.
One thing I did do-I got some leather cord and laced up the front so the aventail is shut at the neck. I can wear it either way, but if I were going into battle, I would do this. And I think it looks real nice too.
Also, take a look at the buckle for the chin strap. I never asked for ANY of this, but Greg blued it, and also inlaid some brass into the buckle! Just for the heck of it! I didn't even notice for a couple of days. He's a worse detail freak than I am, and I'm pretty fussy. This guy is my armourer from now on, no doubt about it.
Oh, one last thing that Graciana informed me about-Greg made the liner for this helmet himself, she said, and it was the first one he ever made, and was very pleased with it. It works very well, looks very realistic and is quite comfortable too. I could wear this all day no problem if it came to it.

Attachment: 118.09 KB
Polish Helm 9.jpg

Attachment: 109.81 KB
Polish Helm 10.jpg

Attachment: 136.34 KB
Polish Helm 6.jpg

Attachment: 93.78 KB
Polish Helm 11.jpg

Attachment: 123.85 KB
Polish Helm 4.jpg

Attachment: 112.24 KB
Polish Helm 12.jpg

Attachment: 122 KB
Polish Helm 13.jpg

Attachment: 100.09 KB
Buckle.jpg

A man's nose is his castle-and his finger is a mighty sword that he may wield UNHINDERED!
Adam Bohnstengel

PostPosted: Wed 15 Feb, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow, that looks great! Can't wait for the pictures of the full kit. Does he have a webpage, and could you link it?
Violence is the supreme authority from which all other authority is derived.
William P

PostPosted: Wed 15 Feb, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

very very nice, , especially the gold cross on the front, it seems to complete the package very well.

and the buckle.. wow.
Ian S LaSpina

Reading list: 5 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 15 Feb, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is a stunning beauty of a helm! Congratulations, it looks great on you and appears to fit perfectly! He did amazing work.
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest
"Monsters are dangerous, and just now Kings are dying like flies..."
Gregg Sobocinski

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Wed 15 Feb, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

THANK-you for posting those without forcing me to ask! I've been haunting the old thread to see when you'd get around to it. You've done very well for yourself. WOW!
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Wed 15 Feb, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I really like this helm though I am not a fan of blueing on pieces from the high middle ages as there really isn't any evidence of it. Certainly, this COULD have been done, however the more conservative options would be to leave it bright.

It is a beautiful helm however.
Jean Thibodeau

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 15 Feb, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
I really like this helm though I am not a fan of blueing on pieces from the high middle ages as there really isn't any evidence of it. Certainly, this COULD have been done, however the more conservative options would be to leave it bright.

Quote:
as there really isn't any evidence of it.

Evidence probably ruined by some over enthusiastic 19th Century museum curator restorations and polishing maybe. Wink Laughing Out Loud

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
David Huggins

PostPosted: Wed 15 Feb, 2012 10:57 pm    Post subject: Helm         Reply with quote

Hi Jeff

The helm on looks better then great! I too would always recommend Greg's work to anyone looking for an armourer whose attention to detail borders on mania!

best
Dave

and he who stands and sheds blood with us, shall be as a brother.
Ville Vinje

PostPosted: Thu 16 Feb, 2012 12:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A great looking helmet, and as you say, a perfect fit. Congratulations!
Ian S LaSpina

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Thu 16 Feb, 2012 5:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Any chance we can see a shot of the inside of the helmet? It fits so perfectly, I'm interested in seeing what kind of liner is in there.
My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest
"Monsters are dangerous, and just now Kings are dying like flies..."
Jeremy V. Krause

PostPosted: Thu 16 Feb, 2012 9:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Jeremy V. Krause wrote:

Quote:
as there really isn't any evidence of it.

Evidence probably ruined by some over enthusiastic 19th Century museum curator restorations and polishing maybe. Wink Laughing Out Loud

Well IF the helm was blackened, yes, cleaning or corrosion would have erased it. Personally, I prefer to take the more conservative route and only reproduce what we can observe in examples.
Jeff A. Arbogast

PostPosted: Thu 16 Feb, 2012 2:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Adam Bohnstengel wrote:
Wow, that looks great! Can't wait for the pictures of the full kit. Does he have a webpage, and could you link it?

Sure Adam-if you haven't found it yourself already. Prepare to be amazed.
www.thorkil.pl/

A man's nose is his castle-and his finger is a mighty sword that he may wield UNHINDERED!
Jeff A. Arbogast

PostPosted: Thu 16 Feb, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ian S LaSpina wrote:
Any chance we can see a shot of the inside of the helmet? It fits so perfectly, I'm interested in seeing what kind of liner is in there.

You are right, Ian. I completely forgot about the liner. So, as you requested, here are some pics of that. Greg installed a leather strip around the sides of the helm to attach the aventail to, and the liner is stitched to that somehow as well. In the front a cord appears to be looped around the leather to secure the liner. I noticed that the aventail is heavily stitched to the leather as well. Not sure how all this ties together and I'm sure not gonna take it apart to find out.
Otherwise, it looks like a fairly typical liner for this sort of helm, with the adjustable cord at the top. It is padded with something and is quite comfortable. It does not appear to be removable though. I'll just have to wash it carefully if and when it needs it, and oil the whole helm up afterward. But I don't mind. A labor of love you could say.

Attachment: 116.19 KB
Helm liner 1.jpg

Attachment: 128.86 KB
Helm liner 2.jpg

Attachment: 162.5 KB
Helm liner 3.jpg

Attachment: 128.08 KB
Helm liner 4.jpg

Corey Skriletz

PostPosted: Thu 16 Feb, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeff, this looks amazing! My envy is beyond words. Can't wait to see it with the full kit. What time-period and culture is this one for?
Jeff A. Arbogast

PostPosted: Fri 17 Feb, 2012 8:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Corey Skriletz wrote:
Jeff, this looks amazing! My envy is beyond words. Can't wait to see it with the full kit. What time-period and culture is this one for?

Hi Corey,
I was aiming generally for late 12th to mid-13th century. Greg and I (through Graciana) went over everything item by item as things progressed. Everything from the helm blueing, to the aventail, to the style of engraving. If you look at the old thread you will see the actual examples that he used tacked on the wall. I wanted something that would go with my kit and would look like something a nobleman would wear. Greg made all the final decisions on what would be proper and what wouldn't. Greg is not into fantasy or unhistorical pieces. I have complete confidence in his expertise. In fact, he wanted to show this helm to the curator of the Polish museum before he shipped it. You don't do that with fantasy pieces.
What I really wanted to achieve was to have a kit that would look fine in England, France, or as far away as the Russian steppes. I can only do this once, so I am trying to cover a broad general area, not any specific one. I do think the helm adds a bit of a Slavic look to it which I really like. Greg is Polish after all. Wink

Corey Skriletz

PostPosted: Fri 17 Feb, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeff A. Arbogast wrote:
Corey Skriletz wrote:

Hi Corey,
I was aiming generally for late 12th to mid-13th century. Greg and I (through Graciana) went over everything item by item as things progressed. Everything from the helm blueing, to the aventail, to the style of engraving. If you look at the old thread you will see the actual examples that he used tacked on the wall. I wanted something that would go with my kit and would look like something a nobleman would wear. Greg made all the final decisions on what would be proper and what wouldn't. Greg is not into fantasy or unhistorical pieces. I have complete confidence in his expertise. In fact, he wanted to show this helm to the curator of the Polish museum before he shipped it. You don't do that with fantasy pieces.
What I really wanted to achieve was to have a kit that would look fine in England, France, or as far away as the Russian steppes. I can only do this once, so I am trying to cover a broad general area, not any specific one. I do think the helm adds a bit of a Slavic look to it which I really like. Greg is Polish after all. Wink

Oh I definitely didn't think 'fantasy' when I saw this beauty. And if you were going for the English or French nobleman look, I'd say you hit the nail on the head. I could see the Earl of Gloucester wearing this, as well as the Duke of Burgundy. I don't know anything about medieval Russia but I'm sure it's appropriate for that kit too. Again, I can't wait to see the full kit.
Jeff A. Arbogast

PostPosted: Sat 18 Feb, 2012 3:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks to all of you for your kind and generous comments. I do appreciate it. It's nice to have a forum like this to go to both to see other people's great work and display your own. There aren't that many sites to do that it seems.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Test fitting my Thorkil helm
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic