about the meaning/effect of the rondel(back of the armet)
Hi :)

We know the rondel(back of the armet)
It protects leather straps.
But I don't know other meaning/effect...

[ Linked Image ]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rondel_(armour)
Quote:
They also appear on the back of a type of late medieval helmet known as the armet. Their purpose for this is unknown, though it has been surmised that they may protect strapping, or just be some sort of added protection.

I have some questions...
Is there the form other than a circle? :?:
What kind of meaning/effect is there in rondel? :?:

thanks
Improves wireless reception, nice addition if your armet is only G3, seems like G4. :lol:

Seriously though, its a decorative element to keep the wrapper strap down and protect it. Some people are of the opinion it might have been a sacrificial plate to defend the back of the neck . Armets ride quite close to the top of the spine.
Hi all :)

Thereafter I examine the rondel(back of the armet)... :?:
However, the new thing is not found... :(

thanks Kel :)

Quote:
Improves wireless reception, nice addition if your armet is only G3, seems like G4.
ummmmmm.... What is G3 and G4... Fax protocol?

Quote:
Seriously though, its a decorative element to keep the wrapper strap down and protect it. Some people are of the opinion it might have been a sacrificial plate to defend the back of the neck . Armets ride quite close to the top of the spine.
I thought so, too :) :D

THANKS ^^
Cellular phone reception/ bandwidth. :lol:

Yeah, we will never know exactly why armets appeared without them, then developed many shapes and styles, then rondels on armets suddenly disappeared a few decades later. I think that more study of combat on horse with the rondel and wrapper arrangement might give some clues. Just a guess.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: