Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Information on Italian sword with Finger Ring? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sun 05 Feb, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject: Information on Italian sword with Finger Ring?         Reply with quote

Does anyone have any information, statistics or more photographs of this sword? It dates from around 1350 and is lodged in the Armeria Reale in Turin. It was first mentioned on myArmoury on this thread -

If I knew Italian, maybe I would contact the museum for information.

Attachment: 12.69 KB
fingerring turin 1350s.jpg

Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Sun 05 Feb, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Information on Italian sword with Finger Ring?         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
Does anyone have any information, statistics or more photographs of this sword? It dates from around 1350 and is lodged in the Armeria Reale in Turin. It was first mentioned on myArmoury on this thread -

If I knew Italian, maybe I would contact the museum for information.

If my experience of Dutch, Norwegian, Spanish and Portuguese museum staff is anything to go by, I'd be surprised if the staff in Italian museums didn't speak/read/write very good English. I'd give it a go.

Geoff
Daniel Wallace

PostPosted: Sun 05 Feb, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Geoff you beat me to the punch.

i was just recommending the same thing. whoever your contacting at the museum, if they've gone though their school system they probably know english, as well as german, french, spanish and a few others.

but what we use for terminology to describe the sword in english may not translate too well.
Paul Hansen

PostPosted: Tue 07 Feb, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Daniel Wallace wrote:
but what we use for terminology to describe the sword in english may not translate too well.

To overcome this problem, you could use this book:

Lexicon of Hilted Weapons in Four Languages = Lexique quadrilingue des armes de main, d’estoc et de taille = Viertalig lexicon van de gevestwapens = Viersprachiges Lexikon der Gefässwaffen (met Piet de Gryse) (S.l.: Gesellschaft für historische Waffen- und Kostümkunde 2006), 384 pp, illustrated, ISBN 10: 3-00-019259-X

EDIT: This book does not contain an Italian section. Blush

Last edited by Paul Hansen on Wed 08 Feb, 2012 7:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 07 Feb, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For German terms, try this thread:

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=7685

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 07 Feb, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's all the info Boccia's Armi Bianche Italiane contains.

Babelfish (exceedingly rough) translation:

Quote:
Cut round knob to disc on the main faces, with button to I add. Long Codolo, nearly from a hand and means, and elso straight to section quadrotta, with bow of guard formed from a simple hook that exits from the corresponding arm. Blade sgusciata till the mean and heads for ogive.

Hopefully, one of our Italian readers can give us a better translation (i.e. one that makes sense).

Attachment: 31.38 KB
Turin text.jpg

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Bruno Giordan

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 07 Feb, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My experience is that writing in a foreign language can be an hit or miss, I advise the starter of this thread to make use of the translating services of one of the italian speaking members of this forum (he may pm me with a text if necessary).

As for Boccia's flourished italian I will be glad to post a translation tomorrow. Razz
Bruno Giordan

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 08 Feb, 2012 5:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Here's all the info Boccia's Armi Bianche Italiane contains.

Babelfish (exceedingly rough) translation:

Quote:
Cut round knob to disc on the main faces, with button to I add. Long Codolo, nearly from a hand and means, and elso straight to section quadrotta, with bow of guard formed from a simple hook that exits from the corresponding arm. Blade sgusciata till the mean and heads for ogive.

Hopefully, one of our Italian readers can give us a better translation (i.e. one that makes sense).

Here we go with the translation of the Boccia's text

"Round pommel cut into a disc shape on both faces, with a button at the top. Long tang, almost one and an half hand (long), and a straight hilt with an almost square section. An arc like guard made up by a simple hook exiting from the corresponding arm (of the cross). Blade fullered until the medium and an ogive like point"
Roberto Banfi

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Wed 08 Feb, 2012 6:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bruno Giordan wrote:

"Round pommel cut into a disc shape on both faces, with a button at the top. Long tang, almost one and an half hand (long), and a straight hilt with an almost square section. An arc like guard made up by a simple hook exiting from the corresponding arm (of the cross). Blade fullered until the medium and an ogive like point"

I'll modify that into:

Disc shaped cut round pommel on main faces, with the button at the top. Long tang, almost one hand and a half, and a straight hilt with an almost square section, with a small arc-like guard composed by a simple hook exiting from the corresponding arm (of the cross). Blade fullered until the medium (half blade) and ogival point

hope this helps Happy

Rob from Italy
José-Manuel Benito

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Wed 08 Feb, 2012 7:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Another option, a little bit different:

Round pommel, disc-shaped in the both sides, with a button at the top. Grip large as in a hand-and-a-half sword (longsword), and straight hilt in square section, with one lower side-ring formed by a simple loop that starts in its corresponding quillon. The blade has a groove that ends at center and an ogival tip.

Ecce, iam meum patrem video
Ecce, iam meam matrem video
Ecce, iam meas sorores ac meos fratres video
Ecce, iam meam gentem totam ab initio video
Ecce illi me iam vocant
Et illi me rogant meum locum inter se accipere
Apud Averni portas sunt
Ubi viri fortes æterne vivant

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Information on Italian sword with Finger Ring?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic