Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > The Defender Longsword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Benjamin Rial

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Sat 07 Jan, 2012 10:09 pm    Post subject: The Defender Longsword         Reply with quote

Here is a limited edition sword I have taken to calling the "Defender". Not very original perhaps but it feels right to me. I gave this one a plain leather rain guard. The grip is the same type of grip I made for the Falcon with a wire wrap on the upper portion. I have found it to be very comfortable. The blade is differentially heat treated with a softer spine and tang. Here are the specs:
Overall Length: 44.125"
Blade Length: 34.75"
Blade Width at Guard: 2"
Blade Thickness at Guard: 0.24"
Handle Length: 7"
Guard Length: 9"
Pommel Length: 1 7/8"
Weight: 3 lbs. 5 oz.
Point of Balance: 4.25"
Point of Harmonics (Blade Node): 21.75"
Guard/Pommel Material: 1020 mild steel
Grip Construction: Wood core leather wrap
Scabbard/Sheath: Wood core, leather wrap
Oakeshott Type: XVIIIa
Guard Type: 2
Pommel Type: J
Grip Shape: Hock bottle
Construction: Peened
Blade Steel: 5160
Price: $1,850.00
Comments welcome.

Attachment: 48.55 KB
defender1.jpg

Attachment: 54.11 KB
defender2.jpg

Attachment: 49.1 KB
defender5.jpg

Attachment: 42.3 KB
defender6.jpg

"The only thing new in this world is the history we don't know."-Pres. Harry S. Truman

www.forgedintime.com

Vel Arte, Vel Marte
Scott Roush
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 08 Jan, 2012 4:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ben I love the hilt on that!
http://www.bigrockforge.com
Benjamin Rial

PostPosted: Sun 08 Jan, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you very much Scott. I wanted this one to have a sort of "classic" appeal with the simple guard and pommel. I added the rain guard and like how it worked out on this piece. I don't generally like rain guards on a nice style 8 or 10 guard as it hides the appeal of a nice ecusson.
"The only thing new in this world is the history we don't know."-Pres. Harry S. Truman

www.forgedintime.com

Vel Arte, Vel Marte
Benjamin Rial

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jan, 2012 10:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here are some more detailed pictures. Comments welcome.

Attachment: 77.87 KB
defender8.jpg

Attachment: 83.32 KB
defender9.jpg

Attachment: 66.7 KB
defender10.jpg

Attachment: 66.99 KB
defender11.jpg

Attachment: 68.17 KB
defender12.jpg

www.forgedintime.com

Vel Arte, Vel Marte
Benjamin Rial

PostPosted: Tue 31 Jan, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Interesting, 983 views and only three (now four) comments, three of which are mine...
Nobody has any thoughts on this piece?
Comments are welcome.
I'm always interested in how others feel about my work. It allows me to get a feel for what people are looking for; what they like and what they don't.

www.forgedintime.com

Vel Arte, Vel Marte
Chris Godby

PostPosted: Tue 31 Jan, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think this is a good looking sword Benjamin.
The blade shape works really well with the simple fittings. But, I tend to go for that sort of thing. I also really like the rain guard, to me it gives it the feel of a functional campaign weapon. My only critique is of the grip design. It some how feels disparate to the rest of the piece. It might be a bit chunky around where it joins the pommel...

But I would never be able to match the skill and talent needed to make this so great job!
Luka Borscak

Feedback score: 100%
(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Tue 31 Jan, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, the sword does look very nice, but I guess for many people it does not look special enough for a $1850 without handling it. This is not criticism at all, I love simple looking swords and this one is simple but beautiful, nice blade profile and geometry, wire wrap, rainguard, but nothing too showy... But without handling the sword or seeing it in person for more details and its true appeal, people might not be impressed enough for its price. Especially since you are a name yet to be established among names like Peter Johnsson, John Lundemo, Michael Tinker Pearce, Michael Pikula... We do not know enough of your work at the moment. When you see a simple but nice Tinker sword, you know behind its simple looks are exceptional handling and performance... I hope you won't take this the wrong way!
I wish you all the luck!
Benjamin Rial

PostPosted: Tue 31 Jan, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Chris.
Thank you very much for the comments!
The grip is a bit on the beefy side and does extend slightly beyond the pommel. It feels quite good in my hands but I can see what you mean. I played with a couple different grip styles on this one before settling on this one. What sort of grip style do you think would look better?
Either of these two or something else entirely?

Attachment: 90.56 KB
arbiter105.jpg

Attachment: 66.19 KB
fishtail8.jpg

www.forgedintime.com

Vel Arte, Vel Marte
Benjamin Rial

PostPosted: Tue 31 Jan, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Luka Borscak wrote:
Well, the sword does look very nice, but I guess for many people it does not look special enough for a $1850 without handling it. This is not criticism at all, I love simple looking swords and this one is simple but beautiful, nice blade profile and geometry, wire wrap, rainguard, but nothing too showy... But without handling the sword or seeing it in person for more details and its true appeal, people might not be impressed enough for its price. Especially since you are a name yet to be established among names like Peter Johnsson, John Lundemo, Michael Tinker Pearce, Michael Pikula... We do not know enough of your work at the moment. When you see a simple but nice Tinker sword, you know behind its simple looks are exceptional handling and performance... I hope you won't take this the wrong way!
I wish you all the luck!

Thank you Luka.
I do realize that without handling it or a thorough review, people aren't going to have a good idea of what they're looking at. Perhaps I could find someone willing to do a review?
I very much appreciate the comments and take no offense whatsoever. It's just good to hear what people think: good, bad, or indifferent.
In areas where people are not acquainted with me it is difficult to try and generate sales particularly as a custom smith. I try to keep my pricing as reasonable as I can, but as many makers will echo; what the market will pay and what the craftsman actually makes can be difficult to reconcile in terms of trying to make a living doing this. I haven't figured out any magic formula yet, but I'm doing my best. :-)

www.forgedintime.com

Vel Arte, Vel Marte
Chris Godby

PostPosted: Tue 31 Jan, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Benjamin,
Looking at the grip again, it looks good in profile, but wide just around the pommel. Again, this is just personal taste. I would have to say that it is probably the wide band just at the bottom. I think that if the wire wrap carried on more of the way with a small core raise under the leather just at the pommel it might be better. But again, this is a good looking sword grip included. So keep it up!
You should definitely see if one of the more veteran members would undertake a hands on review for you.
Benjamin Rial

PostPosted: Thu 02 Feb, 2012 7:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Chris. Maybe I'll tinker around with the next one and try a narrower band at the bottom and see how that looks. I must say that the studs under the leather are a lot more comfortable than I would have thought. Still looks just a little odd to my eye but I'm getting used to it. It was something new for the Falcon longsword and since it was so comfortable I did it again on this piece.

www.forgedintime.com

Vel Arte, Vel Marte

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > The Defender Longsword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic