Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Hanwei Shuts Down Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Wed 01 Feb, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Hanwei Shuts Down         Reply with quote

Just got an e-mail from CAS Hanwei informing dealers that the factory in China has ceased production. The information they have on this is sketchy and there is no need to speculate on why this is happening. The belief is that prices, once production resumes will increase signifcantly. If so then MSRP would be pushed to the point that some of their swords could become too expensive for the average person. CAS speculates that they will not be able to restock before mid-year.
Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Wed 01 Feb, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chinese New Year of the dargon

My thoughts on it anyway.

GC
Lin Robinson

PostPosted: Wed 01 Feb, 2012 6:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Glen A Cleeton wrote:
Chinese New Year of the dargon

My thoughts on it anyway.

GC

That ain't it!

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Wed 01 Feb, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ask Blake Pogue, he is around here somewhere.

New Year is a fifteen day deal. Whatever. I saw an sh2004 leaning up in a corner somewhere. Wink

Seeing as there seems to have been a year end distribution of goods, it makes sense that the next we would see would be in some months. I somehow don't read what you are posting as some grand crisis, just the cost of doig business. New building and all that as well.

Cheers

GC
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Wed 01 Feb, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quick, supply is constrained. Unfulfilled demand will mean all your used Hanwei's will finally be worth something!!! Wink

Guess we just get to wait and see!

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
A. Spanjer

PostPosted: Wed 01 Feb, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kult of Athena just raised the prices on their Hanwei pieces significantly.

Unfortunately, taking a sword I was planning on purchasing out of my price range. Oh, well, hopefully prices won't increase to much in the long run.

Na sir 's na seachain an cath.
Jonathon Hanson

PostPosted: Wed 01 Feb, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Will this impact the GDFB mail items as well? I have an order pending on some rings and a riveting too from By the Sword, I didn't know that they were out of stock but the customer service rep said that the rings are produced by one factory and that nobody has gotten a shipment for a while. She went on to say that they would have them back in stock in two to three weeks. Seeing this news, I'm wondering if that's an accurate assessment.....
Tom King

PostPosted: Wed 01 Feb, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It looks like KOA has raised their prices on cas hanwei by 10 to 30 dollars. The tinker line seems to have shot up a lot higher than everything else. It also looks like they've stopped production of bare blades and blunts for the tinker line, which sucks. I guess a price increase had to happen sometime, seeing as hanwei's factory blew up a few months back.
Lin Robinson

PostPosted: Thu 02 Feb, 2012 3:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jonathon Hanson wrote:
Will this impact the GDFB mail items as well? I have an order pending on some rings and a riveting too from By the Sword, I didn't know that they were out of stock but the customer service rep said that the rings are produced by one factory and that nobody has gotten a shipment for a while. She went on to say that they would have them back in stock in two to three weeks. Seeing this news, I'm wondering if that's an accurate assessment.....

Not according to CAS. GDFB should be available as before. CAS is out of stock of just about all the most popular Hanwei stuff.

Lin Robinson

Last edited by Lin Robinson on Thu 02 Feb, 2012 3:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Lin Robinson

PostPosted: Thu 02 Feb, 2012 3:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tom King wrote:
It looks like KOA has raised their prices on cas hanwei by 10 to 30 dollars. The tinker line seems to have shot up a lot higher than everything else. It also looks like they've stopped production of bare blades and blunts for the tinker line, which sucks. I guess a price increase had to happen sometime, seeing as hanwei's factory blew up a few months back.

I believe they have stopped production of everything. What CAS has on hand is being offered for a 20% premium above wholesale.

Lin Robinson

Lin Robinson

PostPosted: Thu 02 Feb, 2012 5:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Glen A Cleeton wrote:
Ask Blake Pogue, he is around here somewhere.

New Year is a fifteen day deal. Whatever. I saw an sh2004 leaning up in a corner somewhere. Wink

Seeing as there seems to have been a year end distribution of goods, it makes sense that the next we would see would be in some months. I somehow don't read what you are posting as some grand crisis, just the cost of doig business. New building and all that as well.

Cheers

GC

Glen...

I respectfully disagree. When a company ceases production of popular products that is a sign of a major problem. This is especially true since they are not communicating the exact reason for this to their distributors. I hope they will get back into production with only moderate price increases but at this point there is no real indicator of what is going to happen.

Lin Robinson

Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Thu 02 Feb, 2012 6:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Not to speculate but this is from the CAS Iberia website, so fairly reliable I would assume.

"Nov 5
Rebuilding update!

Please go to our Facebook page for the lastest pictures of the Hanwei factory rebuilding process after the devastating fire in March"

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=101502...mp;theater

Not sure this is the reason but knowing how large of quantities CAS was importing at one time if it was in March they may have run out of their stock and since rebuilding has taken so long still not be back to full production if any.

Who knows. Sad as their quality was improving greatly.

RPM
Ed Toton

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 02 Feb, 2012 6:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm keeping my fingers crossed. They've improved a lot lately, and I'd really hate to see them go under. I know the whole industry is probably feeling the pinch in this economy.
-Ed T. Toton III
ed.toton.org | ModernChivalry.org
My armor photos on facebook
B. Pogue
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 02 Feb, 2012 7:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I just posted this to our FB page and working on getting it to the website as well;

We have been advised by Hanwei that they were unable to complete their new factory building before winter weather halted construction, and as a result they have stopped production until April. In addition factory prices will increase once production resumes. We believe that the increases are partly due to sharply increased labor and material costs in China but have been given no information beyond this. This temporary disruption in product from Hanwei will have no affect on our GDFB or Rawlings polymer sparring sword lines. Thanks from everyone at CAS Hanwei for your continued support, we'll do our best to keep everyone up to date as we get further information from Hanwei!

Let me know if you have any questions.

Blake
Lin Robinson

PostPosted: Thu 02 Feb, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

B. Pogue wrote:
Hey guys,

I just posted this to our FB page and working on getting it to the website as well;

We have been advised by Hanwei that they were unable to complete their new factory building before winter weather halted construction, and as a result they have stopped production until April. In addition factory prices will increase once production resumes. We believe that the increases are partly due to sharply increased labor and material costs in China but have been given no information beyond this. This temporary disruption in product from Hanwei will have no affect on our GDFB or Rawlings polymer sparring sword lines. Thanks from everyone at CAS Hanwei for your continued support, we'll do our best to keep everyone up to date as we get further information from Hanwei!

Let me know if you have any questions.

Blake

Blake...

I spoke with my sales rep this morning and got essentially the same message although she was not sure that it was totally accurate. That is good news because it appears the disruption will be temporary. Sorry for all the drama but the initial information was pretty gloomy.

Lin Robinson

Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 02 Feb, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Don't most places DROP prices when they go out of business? (shrug)
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 02 Feb, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
Don't most places DROP prices when they go out of business? (shrug)

As mentioned, they are not going out of business.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 02 Feb, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Speculation is bad for everyone.

Don't do this again.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Lin Robinson

PostPosted: Thu 02 Feb, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Speculation is bad for everyone.

Don't do this again.

Yes..my apologies. I am afraid I contributed to that some. I am very glad to know that this is just a hiccup and nothing to be too concerned about. They are nice folks to work with too,

Lin Robinson

John Giles

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Fri 03 Feb, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject: Hanwei Shuts Down         Reply with quote

Sounds to me like this would be an opportune time for another manufacturer to grab some or more of that market! Windlass? Cold Steel? Maybe even BKS?? I know it's near impossible to hit the same price points, but I'm sure these companies can come close.
True Courage is about knowing not when to take a life, but when to spare one.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Hanwei Shuts Down
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: