Viking womans knife, 9th century
Hello! i just thought i will also share what i have in progress. Its viking womans knife, welded wrought iron and carbon steel in san mai construction, handle is cow horn, moose antler and brass.
Its decorated in early viking style with two gripping beasts (freyas cats?)

If you want to see progress and other stuff, you can follow me on facebook
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Gullinbursti/195065500531911

Attachment: 218.16 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 177.73 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 168.17 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 236.46 KB
[ Download ]
Nice work.
What's the rivet/pin for at the top of the handle?
Thanks Matthew, thats the pin holding the band in which the ring is attached.
Just gorgeous! I really like the carving on this one. You really seem to have the right feel with your pieces. Great stuff!
I can spot your work from a mile away. I dont even have to look at the name of the poster to know it is your work. Love it!
Lovely lovely work Petr,

I love the littl details that are so often missed like the rivet head and the handle ring with the formed 'beads'

Great work

Tod
I love the character of your work, Petr. Everything I've seen of yours leaves such a great impression.
Petr, that's a sweet viking knife!

Since there were questions about the pin holding the pull ring, I though it would be a good time to post a photo of a find with one from the same time period.
This one is from viking age, found at a place called Grötinge, Norrvike on the island of Gotland, Sweden. State histrical museum item # 27778

[ Linked Image ]

Link to the Kringla.nu site: http://www.kringla.nu/kringla/objekt?text=vik...ect/450127

Only the handle remains of this find but it shows the pull ring, the back plate and the pin going all the way through the handle. I've also seen other finds where it's hidden and the back plate is nailed in place and I'm making one of those myself right now.

Here's another pull ring assembly for those who're interested. Very neat design really.

[ Linked Image ]

Last edited by Johan Gemvik on Wed 15 Feb, 2012 12:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Thanks Johan!
I made this curved cap variety too
[ Linked Image ]
Oh that's beautiful Petr.

Thanks for those pics Johan. I've not seen that style of end cap fitting before. What's the time-frame for this style and is it restricted to Gotland?
Matthew Bunker wrote:
Thanks for those pics Johan. I've not seen that style of end cap fitting before. What's the time-frame for this style and is it restricted to Gotland?

Just says "Viking age" on the data sheets for most of the finds.

Most with an intact pull ring are indeed from Gotland, at least the finds with photos in the database. But other finds don't make sense without one. Like some of the large knives from Uppland/ Vendel (the area Vendel, not "vendel age") that go all the way into the sceath leather with nothing to grab to pull it out unless the hole at the center of the back plate is for some form of pull ring fastener.

Like this one:

[ Linked Image ]

Also, a back plate with a peened tang through it doesn't need the extra nails. But if the hole is for a pull function and doesn't have a peen there it does.
Hello! Here is the finished knife with sheath, I hope you like it.
if you want similar knife, or sax, drop me a line, i love to make those

Attachment: 236.27 KB
[ Download ]
Beautiful work Petr.

Very nice pictures of the originals as well.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: