Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Tod's Stuff 15th century Rothenburg ballock dagger Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jan, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Tod's Stuff 15th century Rothenburg ballock dagger         Reply with quote

Last year, Tod from Tod's Stuff became aware of a beautiful ballock dagger located in the Rothenburg Collection listed as Northern Italian (Venetian?), circa 1450

He was so enamored with this piece, he decided he had to make it. He proceeded to create the fittings for it, send it off the the foundry, and get some castings made so that he could make a couple versions of it. I believe fellow forumite Bryce Felperin received the original version of this dagger, one that had a diamond cross-sectioned blade with reinforced tip and a by-knife and pricker in its scabbard.

I immediately took notice of this interpretation and decided I had to have a version myself. I went a different route and asked Tod to make something closer to the original antique. I knew this would be perhaps a difficult task given the complex cross-section of the blade, but Tod was interested and this is what he has since delivered into my own collection:

Click any photo to see a full-sized version

The blade is a square cross-section that shifts 45 degrees at the tip section and has a stepped ricasso area with fullers. The grip is ebonized elm wood sealed with beeswax. The inscription on the pommel cap reads, DEXTERA DOMINI FECIT VIRTUTEM (The right hand of the Lord hath wrought strength). The fittings are bronze and there is a silver plate under the decorative pommel cap. The scabbard has a four-sided wooden core and has incised decorations on its black leather outer covering with a large bronze chape balancing everything out.

I hope you guys enjoy seeing these things.

Cheers

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jan, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You should find a museum cabinetmaker to build a custom display just for your knives and daggers. What an astonishing collection, and this just continues the trend! Kudos to all, especially the master who did the work.
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Christian Borglum

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jan, 2012 1:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Nathan,

That is jaw-dropping, exquisitely, beautiful, and I don't even really like Ballock daggers. The intricate, filed and engraved pommel cap is absolutely stunning. I don't know if I've ever seen a 90 degree offset in a blade cross-section like that. What an incredible piece! Congratulations.to you as the new owner and to Tod as the artist. Wow... Surprised

Christian Borglum
Dan P

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jan, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's why Tod's stuff is the best and I never get tired of seeing new threads about his pieces. It would be an amazing dagger in its own wright but a reproduction of an actual weapon from history is just taking it to the next level.

Quote:
square cross-section that shifts 90 degrees at the tip section

45 degrees? Or am I not looking at that tip correctly.
Josh S

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jan, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I snagged one of the versions he made of this dagger, which was shown in his recent post here showing a bunch of knives he'd made for sale. Mine's a bit simpler - the blade is a simple diamond cross-section, and no silver plate - but by no means any less impressive. The size alone is arresting; it was much larger than I had anticipated. I too have to express what Christian said above; until I saw that particular piece up for sale, ballock daggers had never interested me much. Now they do. Tod seems to have a talent for producing work so good that it makes us interested even in things we may not have previously cared for - a phenomenon which has already occurred several times in my case!

Have you had any issues with the bronze window finials that extend onto the grip from the end-cap? On mine they had pulled off the wood grip a bit by the time it arrived, although it was an easy fix to lightly tap them back into place.
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jan, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Wow         Reply with quote

To paraphrase a few of my friends from Tod's side of the pond "That's expletive, expletive marvelous!"

Really well done Tod. I particular like the guard and chape detail. The form is spot on.

In awe as usual

Craig
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jan, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations Nathan in getting this excellent piece.

Tod does have a lot of talent and his pieces, as you know, always seem to match the look and feel of actual period pieces and not sterile machine made pieces, they look very hand made by a master artisan of the period.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Jeremy V. Krause

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jan, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Nathan,

I am glad you decided to have a blade made that more directly mirrors the shape of the original to pair with this beautiful hilt. It may simply be the angle of the pic of the original and of your reproduction, but did Tod adopt a more stout blade on this reproduction? The reproduction blade just seems a bit less slender to me. Perhaps my eyes are mistaken.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jan, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
I am glad you decided to have a blade made that more directly mirrors the shape of the original to pair with this beautiful hilt. It may simply be the angle of the pic of the original and of your reproduction, but did Tod adopt a more stout blade on this reproduction? The reproduction blade just seems a bit less slender to me. Perhaps my eyes are mistaken.

It's not a reproduction as the whole thing is about 20% larger than the antique.

Cheers

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Eric G.

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jan, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan,

You have a great eye for beautiful pieces. I often see the custom commissions that you have done and think, "dang, I wish I would have done that first!"

Also, I can't finish this post without mentioning how impressive Tod's work is.

Eric Gregersen
www.EricGregersen.com
Knowledge applied is power.
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jan, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow! Seeing pieces like this make me want to get some later period stuff again. Great show Nathan. Yet another of your pieces for me to envy!
Ben Anbeek
Industry Professional

Reading list: 18 books

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jan, 2012 12:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Always loved this dagger.
I think this is a great replica made by one of the best.
You can be very happy with this one

Medieval Goods
http://www.theupperclass.nl
www.facebook.com/TheUpperClass.nl
Julien M

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jan, 2012 1:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's disgustingly beautiful Happy

The Rothenburg ballock is probably the most glorious example of this type I know of...and Tod's interpretation is spot on (I equally like both versions).

One of Tod's most stunning piece to date for sure.

J
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jan, 2012 1:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan P wrote:
45 degrees? Or am I not looking at that tip correctly.

Yes. I guess that would be correct! if it was offset 90 degrees it would look exactly the same since it's a square! Blush I've edited my first post.

Thank you!

Paul Hansen

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jan, 2012 3:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Fantastic piece Nathan and Tod! Congratulations!
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jan, 2012 11:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just another note of awestruck praise. That is amazing!
HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jan, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I love it. I like how the ricasso is slightly assymetric on both the repro and original.
Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Paul Mortimer

PostPosted: Sun 29 Jan, 2012 2:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gorgeous! Well done all.

Paul
Leo Todeschini
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 30 Jan, 2012 1:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks everyone, really generous compliments.

Nathan mysteriously said 'Tod became aware of this dagger' so here is my story behind the dagger.

Late in 2010 a customer sent me some pictures of this dagger asking for a quote and as a one off piece this was going to be reasonably expensive and turned out to be too much. When I saw the dagger I just fell in love with it as I had not seen the like and emailed Nathan straight off to tell him about it, as getting excited with friends is always more fun than just 1 person in a workshop. For about 2 months that was the end of the matter.

After about 2 months I gave in to the inevitable and made a set of masters for the castings and so started making knives based on the Rothenberg piece and then started looking for customers, which is generally considered the wrong way round for custom makers. Anyway I got to make a piece based on a lovely dagger but shied away from the rather singular blade of the original, until Nathan asked for it.

Unfornately I have not got to Rothenberg (yet) so have worked only from pictures and as more time has passed more people have sent me pictures of it and so my understanding of the piece increases. It was Nathan for exampe that found/noticed the pommel is in fact cut through to a different metal underneath and that I had slightly over scaled the piece.

In a nutshell, I in return have to give a big thanks to my customers who both send me interesting comissions and provide me with information about these pieces that we are all so passionate about. I have a job I love and I couldn't have that without you. Sentimental and a tear jerker - but true.

Tod

www.todsworkshop.com
www.todcutler.com
www.instagram.com/todsworkshop
https://www.facebook.com/TodsWorkshop
www.youtube.com/user/todsstuff1
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 30 Jan, 2012 5:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Leo Todeschini wrote:
It was Nathan for exampe that found/noticed the pommel is in fact cut through to a different metal underneath

I remember talking with Nathan about that. I may have been the one who brought that to his attention. Wink

It's funny how these projects evolve. I also like seeing makers get a piece in their head that they can't shake and just have to put together. It's cool when they're so passionate about a piece that they make it and then try to sell it.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Tod's Stuff 15th century Rothenburg ballock dagger
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: