Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Early 14th Century Bascinet from Medieval Shoppe Australia Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Sebastien D.R.

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jan, 2012 2:10 am    Post subject: Early 14th Century Bascinet from Medieval Shoppe Australia         Reply with quote

Hi everyone i am new to this site so im not sure if this is the right place to post this but i recently ordered a bascinet from medieval shoppe , the Early 14th Century Bascinet Medieval Knight's Helmet anyways i wanted to know if anyone had purchased one of these and can maybe give me some of his impressions on it and confirm if its actually historically accurate for the early 14th century era and the quality of the helmet ?so please feel free to give any of your comments on this piece.

thanks

http://www.medievalshoppe.com.au/early-14th-c...elmet.html

Sebastien D.R.
Constantin von Bernuth
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jan, 2012 4:25 am    Post subject: Historical accurateness         Reply with quote

Hi Sebastian,

I am sorry to tell you this but it is a mixture of different types of helms. Also the dating is questionalbe (which of course does not matter for a fantasy helm).

Here are some basic mistakes:

- the helm is too pointy for early 14th c.
- in this one the point is set back , not in the middle. This can be seen from the later half of the 14th c.
- the vizor looks like one of a great helm, a helm that would be worn on top of a bascinet in the first half of the 14th c.

You should have taken a look at this page http://www.myArmoury.com/feature_spot_bascinet.php
prior to ordering that helm:

If you are aiming for historical correctness, I would cancel the order, do a little reserch and get a proper one instead.

"I can resist everything - except temptation" (Oscar Wilde)
Sebastien D.R.

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jan, 2012 4:36 am    Post subject: bascinet         Reply with quote

thanks for the reply constantin i have to agree that i had the same opinion on similar points like the visor and the point tiliting backwards but i wasnt sure if it was maybe some model of history i hadnt seen before anyways it dosent really matter i will still keep it as it will just be a fantasy helm added to the collection
Sebastien D.R.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jan, 2012 6:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This actually looks like an attempt to recreate the visored great helms seen in art, but not in surviving helms. Something like this:

The occularia (eye slots) look to be too large.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Early 14th Century Bascinet from Medieval Shoppe Australia
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic