Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > looking for petersen and other sources Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
L. Sowa

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jan, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: looking for petersen and other sources         Reply with quote

hello,

do anyone have a pdf format of Jan Petersen: De Norske Vikingsverd ("The Norwegian Viking Swords") 1919 ??

i'm long time looking for it but all links i have found in the internet are not working. i need this book for my private reserch about swords.

of course it is not only book i'm looking for but in this moment i know it will help a bit.
would be nice to have as many scientific informations about swords(especially pommels) as possible. if you know any links to the good archeological(or any) articles put it here, please. maybe somebody else will need it too.

for example i can reccomend:
http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/ARCHway/volum...m?rcn=1089

vol. 5(1961) - A Study in Pattern-Welding
vol. 11(1967) - The Anglo-Saxon burial at Coombe (Woodnesborough), Kent
or
vol.30(1986) - A late Anglo-Saxon sword from Gilling West, N Yorkshire
Nils Anderssen

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jan, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi,

You can find it here:

http://www.vikverir.no/ressurser.html

There you will also find a pdf of "Den Yngre Jernalders Sværd" (The earlier iron ages swords) and loads of pictures of swords in European museums.

Hope you like it Happy

Nils
Len Parker

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jan, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Speaking of viking pommels, the sword at the bottom with the antennae pommel is interesting. I've never seen this in any typology of viking pommels. http://www.vikverir.no/ressurser/hist_mus_osl...amp;page=6
L. Sowa

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jan, 2012 4:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

hello,
thank you very much! it is very helpful for me:) first time i see this book in all its beautiful(lot of good pictures). now i have to start learn norwegian language;) ...some translations is on http://www.vikingsword.com/petersen but not all.

the second book is good too. i know pictures from it but never seen this book:) why in norway don't write in english... Wink

Len, this sword(the antennae hilt) is in petersen on page 85. it's petersen type G
Len Parker

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jan, 2012 10:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks L.Sowa, I wasn't sure if that was really a viking age sword or not. Years ago MRL had a dark-age sword with a pommel like that on a roman spatha blade, saying it was excavated in northern europe, similar to this http://www.antik-war.lv/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=99429
Nils Anderssen

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jan, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

"Den Yngre Jernalders Sværd" (The earlier iron ages swords) is also in a French version (which where the fancy language at the time of writing), but i did not scan that.

If you need any translations just send me a PM and can give you a sumary. Also, Elling Polden have translated some of the sections... he might post them here (nudge nudge Happy )

The type G is also mentioned in "The Swords of the Viking Age" with some more information.

All the best,

Nils
William P

PostPosted: Tue 07 Feb, 2012 11:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

heres a section i dont understand that seems to talk about the type Z ain relation to the type S

VII. Yngste vikingetid.
Type Z
Hjaltene er krummede, men ogsaa forholdsvis svære, ikke lave som L-typens. Tversnittet er tilspidset. Knappen er tredelt med tykkere or høiere midtsykke, ganske som ved S-typen.

any ideas whats being said, i have no clue. its from De Norske Vikingesverd 1919
Scott Woodruff

PostPosted: Sat 11 Feb, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nils, I can hardly express my excitement at finally getting a look at this legendary tome. Thank you for the pointer.

William P, that passage is simply a description of the Z-type. Something like- "Hilt is curved but also massive, not low as with L-type. Cross-section is (something). Pommel is triple with thicker, higher middle lobe." The last bit doesn't make definite sense to me but could be "rather like S-type." I welcome anyone who actually speaks Norwegian to correct me if i am wrong.

I notice that scales are given for the illustrations instead of measurements. I wonder if the images on the screen are 1/1 scale to the actual illustrations on the page. The one I measured seemed reasonable.

Correction, it looks like the images appear on the screen at close to 1.75x as large as on the page.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > looking for petersen and other sources
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic