Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > thoughts on GDFB spears and windlass swedish viking sword? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
William P

PostPosted: Thu 19 Jan, 2012 9:16 pm    Post subject: thoughts on GDFB spears and windlass swedish viking sword?         Reply with quote

i recently walked into a australian sword dealer called lawrance ordinace, most of the stuff these guys sell in terms of swords and armour, (which isnt all they sell but the rest of their stuff isnt neccessary info right now)
is sourced from windlass, Cas iberia, deepeeka, and recently some stuff from GDFB. plus a couple of other dealers but mostly them

two things in particular caught my eye (apart from the fact i saw, as noted on another thread, the fact that the hanwei trondheim viking sword indeed has the guard fused with the blade Eek! )

one was the windlass swedish viking sword, which i realised seemed to be based off the same sword as that 'wierd' type Z viking sword that michael piluka made recently
(though obviously pilukas sword utterly steamrolls this one)
http://www.lawranceordnance.com/the_sharpened..._sword.php

has anyone handled the windlass sword out of curiosity?

the other is this practical spear by GDFB made by ULFBERTH at lawrance ordinance it sells for $27 australian which , i think is VERY inexpensive for a spear head this big.
although the socket leaves something to be desired.
http://www.getdressedforbattle.co.uk/acatalog...kings.html
http://www.getdressedforbattle.co.uk/acatalog/info_ULF-SH-01.html

i assume that this method of spear construction is majorly inauthentic for a viking spear?

i am especially interested in the spear, but id be curious to buy the sword if its decent.
Elling Polden

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 20 Jan, 2012 12:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have one of these for my two handed spear.
As observed, the socket design is not very viking age. And the head shape is to angular. However, they are cheap as dirt, and kills people dead. Or, well, alive, but out of the match.
100% accurate spearheads are extremely rare to come by, so unless you happen to find a smith that makes them this will serve you as well as any other. At the end of the day, it is more representative that you HAVE a spear.

The sword is a cool type. However, it is way to heavy if the stade 1,6kg weight is true.

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
Bjorn Hagstrom

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Fri 20 Jan, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have a couple of the spear heads you linked to. They are value for money, and with some time and attention with angle grinder and file excess weight can be trimmed, and odd looking angles reduced significantly. Get them, we need more spears out there Happy
There is nothing quite as sad as a one man conga-line...

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > thoughts on GDFB spears and windlass swedish viking sword?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic