1796 Light Cavalry sabre reproductions?
I've long admired the 1796LC, and I'm keen to add one to my collection. I understand that originals can be found for a reasonable price at auction, but I like to practice cutting with my swords, and I could never bring myself to do that to a genuine one. I've had a bit of a search and the only company I can find that makes reproductions is Cold Steel, whose swords don't have that great a reputation (and apparently their 1796LC handles completely differently to the real deal).

Does anyone know of a manufacturer that makes a decent repro?
This site also has one:
http://www.militaryheritage.com/swords2.htm

I think that like Cold Steel's version, this one is also made in India, but I'm not sure if it's made by the same factory.
I've never seen one myself, so I can't really comment further.

One thing that I thoroughly dislike about that site though, is that they try to copy original maker's marks on their reproductions, which is not only bad form, but could be seen a kind of forgery and could fool some collectors looking for an antique...
The Cold Steel 1796 is about 100-150g overweight (depending on whose specs I use), compared to a "typical" non-light, non-fancy original (taking 850g as "typical"). The Cold Steel thins down to about 3mm, which is a bit on the thick side, but not too horrible. If you take off about 1mm of thickness over the last foot of blade, you'll take off about 75g. This is where the extra weight is, not just overweight all over, but concentrated near the end.

The Weapon Edge replica is even heavier, about 200g overweight (it only thins down to about 4mm, IIRC).

You might also consider replicas of the 1811 Prussian sabre, i.e., the Blücher sabre. E.g., this, from here or the same from here, which is the cheapest replica I've seen (and also looks overweight). I don't know how bad this one is.
You might also consider replicas of the 1811 Prussian sabre, i.e., the Blücher sabre. E.g., this, from here or the same from here, which is the cheapest replica I've seen (and also looks overweight). I don't know how bad this one is.[/quote]

those two have blades that just don't look right. There was a fellow on SBG who had Arms and Armour take a 1796 down to specs and apparently it handles really sweet now.
Christopher Treichel wrote:
There was a fellow on SBG who had Arms and Armour take a 1796 down to specs and apparently it handles really sweet now.

From what I understand, the Cold Steel model is a decent reproduction apart from its lack of distal taper. I'll probably pick up one of those and have a go at doing it myself.

Thanks for the help.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: