Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > 18th century pistol Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Peter Gajdos

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jan, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: 18th century pistol         Reply with quote

Hello,

is there anyone who could tell me more about this pistol?
It is believed to be an 18th century pistol with silver parts, gem and gold inlays.
Any price range it should worth?
thanks
regards
Peter G.

Attachment: 97.94 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 122.21 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 127.36 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 136.89 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 162.33 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 116.43 KB
[ Download ]
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jan, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Peter...

The detailed photos are very nice but, unfortunately, not very helpful in determining the origin of the gun.

First, I suspect it is a dueling pistol. The apparent absence of a ramrod thimble would be an indication of that. Also, it is very ornate, too much so for military use. As to origin, I think it might be German or from somewhere else in central Europe. I base that on the shape of the lock plate.

Values of unique antique guns are usually determined at auction although a knowledgeable appraiser can give you an idea of what it will bring. However, we are frequently surprised at the price a pistol like this brings at auction. If it is a dueling pistol then it was probably one of a pair. The barrel wedge appears to be missing - a minor problem. I would expect it to bring somewhere in the range of $3,000 to $5,000 at auction, mainly because of the ornamentation.

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
E.B. Erickson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 07 Jan, 2012 1:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My thoughts are that this is a pistol made in Europe for the Eastern market. Basic French styling of about 1800 is followed, but the overall treatment is much more florid and not too well executed for a pistol intended for a European customer. The lack of ramrod was typical for (if I recall correctly) guns made for the Turkish market.
Just my 2 cents!
--ElJay

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > 18th century pistol
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic