Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Late Migration Era Shield maker and questions Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Barrett Hiebert

PostPosted: Wed 04 Jan, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Late Migration Era Shield maker and questions         Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm looking to commission a late migration era shield circa 500-650 for training/sparring/historical re-enactment purposes. It need be nothing fancy like the Sutton Hoo mound 1 shield but I need it to be able to stand up to punishment acting like a period shield of it's day would. As of doing it myself I really don't have any experience and the tools to be able to do such a thing.

So I need to ask a few question's:

In difference to period viking shields I've been told based on the fragments of examples from Illerup, they were bigger and the hand grip is part of the center plank, re-enforced with wood and a sheet metal cover. I've also seen examples that the boss's were different then period viking shields.

Would a viking period boss still count as historicaly accurate?

I've also read of off-set central grips on migration shields. Would this be a requirement of a shield in the late migration era or would it not necessarily need to be done (the shield could have the grip central along the central line of the boss ilke a viking shield)?

Maybe someone could show me a specialized custom viking shield maker that could do modifications to make such a shield a late migration one?

If anyone could help me out I'd greatly appreciate it.

Best regards,

Barrett Hiebert
R Lister

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jan, 2012 3:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

From my limited understanding migration period shields got bigger the later you go.

As well as the boss shape changed.

I've got a replica boss from the about 650c. Its sugar loaf.

Where as i've a friend with a replica shield from 550c and the boss is very different.

I can't find pictures of the 550 one but here is the pictures from the 650one.

https://plus.google.com/photos/103678990181810814871/albums/5694097837329052881?authkey=CKym6t24o_O3IA

the shield from the above grave was linden with a short iron bar grip,

all the best

Bjarki

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Late Migration Era Shield maker and questions
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic