Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Musea, shops, flea markets to see in London, weapons related Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Bruno Giordan

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 30 Dec, 2011 2:39 am    Post subject: Musea, shops, flea markets to see in London, weapons related         Reply with quote

Dear friends, I'm going to spend seven days in London.

My primary interest is in medieval and renaissance swords and armour, but I'm also interested in modern militaria, old cameras, archeology. I already have on my list the Tower of London and the Wallace collection, I'm asking for infos for further places to visit.

Also flea markets dealing with militaria and shops selling modern, i.e. From napo onwards swords, would be interesting for me.

Not to mention vintage vinyl discs and fifties/sixties cameras ..

Any suggestion would be welcome.

Thanks in advance
Zach Luna

PostPosted: Fri 30 Dec, 2011 8:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There are some fantastic swords on display at the Victoria & Albert Museum and the British Museum (THE place for archeology stuff); both are free for entry like the Wallace. The Tower will cost you some change, but it's a lot of fun--have a whole afternoon blocked off for it. Westminster Abbey has the famous Henry V sword, and it's worth visiting regardless.

The Science museum is also fun for gadgetry and military knicknacks.

As for shops and markets, that's harder to say. I saw some decent sabers for sale at some antique shops on Portabello Road in Notting Hill, but there's no telling what they'll have on a given day. The market there on Saturday is fun if you can stomach tourist crowds and can differentiate the kitschy nonsense from the good stuff, but the prices are a bit inflated.

The shops at Covent Garden are fun to visit, though I don't know if they have antique dealers there. I must admit I know little of flea markets in town.

Whenever you're at the Wallace, I recommend also journeying up north to Regent's Park as well--it's my favorite of the Royal Parks and a fantastic place for a walk.
Marik C.S.

PostPosted: Fri 30 Dec, 2011 9:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

When I went to London earlier this year I was glad I arrived early at the Tower, about noon the place gets rather crowded.

The Imperial War Museum - also free admission - is very interesting as well featuring all of the latest British Wars and the New Globe Theatre is also worth a visit.

Europe - Where the History comes from. - Eddie Izzard
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Fri 30 Dec, 2011 9:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Check out the basement of Admiral Vernon's on Portobello Road during the Saturday market.
Paul Hansen

PostPosted: Fri 30 Dec, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Museum of London is also worth the visit, especially for the bronze age stuff.

There are some antique shops near the British Museum, but I can't give an exact address.
E.B. Erickson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 31 Dec, 2011 4:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Besides all of the above, there's also the National Army Museum. Covers ECW through modern times.

Shops that may still be around: Michael German (on Kensington High Street, as I recall), Blunderbuss Antiques, Peter Dale (Royal Opera Arcade).

You only have seven days?? You're going to be busy!

--ElJay

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Musea, shops, flea markets to see in London, weapons related
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic