Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Mail Armor in China- a History? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Benjamin H. Abbott

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 28 Dec, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:
Just guessing. It would be a pretty safe guess since the types of armours worn by the Japanese are generally heavier than the types of armours worn in western Europe.

Did Chinese armors resemble Japanese armors in this respect? Also, it's my understanding that Japanese armors varied in weight just as European armors did.
Eric S

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Wed 28 Dec, 2011 6:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dan Howard wrote:
I don't have any photos that I'm allowed to distribute but I've seen similar examples in both European and Middle Eastern contexts. It is difficiult to see how the riveting is done from your pic but the overall shape of the rings is nothing remarkable.
Similar or exact, there is a difference. I have seen a lot of pictures of antique riveted mail but nothing exactly like this, if anyone has an exact match I would love to see it. There is nothing remarkable with any mail links really, the remarkable thing is that there are no other close up images in the world of Japanese riveted mail that I know of, it would be nice to see others.

The person who took the pictures said this

Quote:
"the links are quite thin - less than 1/16" if memory serves. I was musing on this last night and the following occurred to me. Why go to the trouble of drawing the wire to round and then flattening the stuff. They must have made their wire from a strip, cut off a sheet - say 1/16" square and then pulled it through dies to get the sizes of wire you find on kusari. What makes more sense to me is that you do cut it off a sheet, wind it around a rod whilst square, cut it into links and then flatten them. If you look at the riveted mail it is a bit variable in width and they have had to flattened it further in the region of the rivet to be able to punch the hole. And here I do mean punch not drill."

Does this describe the method of manufacture of any mail from other cultures that anyone has heard of? The person who provided the images is very respected in the field of ancient armor and weapons.
Eric S

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Wed 28 Dec, 2011 6:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Benjamin H. Abbott wrote:
Did Chinese armors resemble Japanese armors in this respect? Also, it's my understanding that Japanese armors varied in weight just as European armors did.
Since the Japanese have been making armor for hundreds of years it would be necessary to be more specific as to the era, bullet proof plate samurai armor from the 1500s was understandable quite heavy while armor from some other time periods was much lighter. Lower ranking soldiers had lighter armor in general also.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Mail Armor in China- a History?
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: