Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Albion Swords? Or... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Dishan W.

PostPosted: Tue 27 Dec, 2011 5:05 pm    Post subject: Albion Swords? Or...         Reply with quote

Hello.
I'm new to posting on this forum, forgive me if I have posted this in the wrong section.

For a short while now I have been interested in functional swords. I currently own the Hanwei Practical Knightly, Tinker Blunted Bastard sword, and the DSA Wallace sword. I want to try for a really good sword. I haven't had the best luck with swords; my Knightly sword peen loosened shortly after use, the Tinker sword nut stripped, and my DSA handle loosened which I took off and found that it relied on nut compression with a threaded pommel with a small peen at the end, which has turned me off DSA swords (I was only told they were preened, not a mixture). I was able to fix the swords ( except the knightly) and they are in working order; epoxy is a wonderful invention. Just so you know, I bought the bastard sword at st Jacobs farmer market, so I couldn't really have returned it or anything ( its kind of a long drive).

I decided to put that explanation in so that you may understand why I am asking about albions and are interested in owning one.

I'd like to know how reliable the Albion swords are?
In the long run, how are they? Any problems?
Since they are priced around $1,000 ( give or take a few hundred), I assume they are well made. I have read reviews and seen videos but I have never seen or held an Albion in person.

Since I'm looking at swords that reach $1,000 and beyond, I have been considering a custom piece.
Anyone know a custom sword maker in north America?
I recently found out about Jeff helmes, who is about 6hours away, which is nice and close. I've also found jake powning, who looks really expensive but does awesome work. Both located in candada, I believe.
Anyone have experiences with these two? Or have any other suggestions for customs?

I've figured I'd might as well as own a really good sword rather then a few ok ones.

Thanks for any opinions or suggestions

Dishan.
P. Cha

PostPosted: Tue 27 Dec, 2011 5:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well there is gus blades as well. Tom at tried and true armoury has been working on making the fitting on the gus blades nicer and at half the cost, not a bad option. Assuming your okay with pretty spartan designs.
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 27 Dec, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Dishan,

Albions are really nice swords. I own six and many, many folks around here own Albions as well. You would be really pleased with an Albion.

Regarding custom options, I have seen Mr. Holmes swords here, but not in person but they look really great in pictures. I am sure you would be really happy with a sword made by him, I don't know of his price range. I know a very knowledgable forumite who is very happy with a sword made by this smith.

Michael Pikula also makes custom swords which look excellent and are highly reccommended by knowledgable forumites.

With these three options you would be leaning towards a more historical emphasis- especially with the Albions- which have been developed after extensive research into many originals by Peter Johnsson.

Both Mr. Holmes, and Mr. Pikula, also seem to make very well established historical designs and both would be engaged in putting together an historical design.
Brandt Giese

PostPosted: Tue 27 Dec, 2011 6:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Cant go wrong with Albions knight.
Addison C. de Lisle

PostPosted: Tue 27 Dec, 2011 6:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You will not be unhappy with an Albion sword; they are very well made, well researched, each individually designed by Peter Johnsson, and they also have great customer service. I have owned four and have had no issued with any of them.

I would also second the recommendation for Michael Pikula - he's a great guy and does very nice work.

www.addisondelisle.com
Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Tue 27 Dec, 2011 7:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You can't go wrong with Albion, Sir. Their quality and service is renown. For a custom
piece I'd reccomend contacting John Lundemo of Odinblades, the quality of his work
and consistant work-ethic and service is equally well known.
B-)
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Tue 27 Dec, 2011 7:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

don't forget about Arms & Armor, especially if you like complex hilts. A&A also does stunning custom work. have you looked at the reviews on this site?
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 27 Dec, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
don't forget about Arms & Armor, especially if you like complex hilts. A&A also does stunning custom work. have you looked at the reviews on this site?

DUH! How could I forget A&A!?! Thanks Sean. Happy
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Wed 28 Dec, 2011 6:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You'll be fine with the Albion.

Then you'll spend three to five years looking for something better.

Then you'll spend another three to five years figuring out there isn't anything better, just a whole lot that is not as good, and a few that are as good but different.

Then you'll be fine with the Albion. Cool

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
D. Phillip Caron

PostPosted: Sat 31 Dec, 2011 6:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dishan, see the topic " $ Value" above. I asked the same question a different way.
The first casualty of battle is bravado, the second is macho.
Mike Capanelli

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Sat 31 Dec, 2011 9:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'll give a third recommendation for Michael Pikula. He has an uncanny talent for making a sword look and feel right, He's easy to work with, and right now his prices are very reasonable for the quality of work you'll receive.

I also don't think you'll be disappointed with either an Albion or an A&A. Both companies are at the very top of the production heap. My preference leans towards Albion for production swords but I've owned more then one A&A in my time.

Winter is coming

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Albion Swords? Or...
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic