New knife, thoughts on pattern/profile?
I recently completed this as a Christmas gift. It's 6150, fullered lenticular with filework, steel bolsters and pins and antler scales. Like most of what I do I just started grinding without much plan, but I really like the profile as it came out. Does anyone have any suggestions as to historical precedents which approximate this blade type?

Total length: 10 5/8" (27 cm)
Blade length (from bolster): 7" (17.8 cm)
Blade width: 1 3/8" (3.5 cm)
Weight: 7.5 oz. (212 g)

Attachment: 167.46 KB
International_edition_4_sm.jpg

Attachment: 164.63 KB
International_edition_5_sm.jpg

Attachment: 159.1 KB
International_edition_1_sm.jpg

Last edited by Eric Meulemans on Fri 23 Dec, 2011 7:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
A love-child between a Norse Seax and a 15th century eating knife?
i'd say seax and early bowie--beautiful combination!
I also got the bowie feel; especially with the bone handle scales. The seax comparison is very strong, considering the overall profile. As far as the filing, I feel like that's mainly a French and Italian knife thing; would that be right? Overall, it's a gorgeous knife; I love the proportions.
Sean Flynt wrote:
seax and early bowie

This. And the combination is stunning.
shoot - historical or not i love it :cool:

the best works are the one that aren't over planned. the ridge pattern is a wonderful accent to your work.
I'm going to agree with the Seax/Bowie cross. Whatever it is, it looks great, and anyone should be happy to have it on their hip. Well done I say!
Thank you all for your compliments. I knew I'd be invoking a sax/trade knife-hybrid feel, but wanted to see what others took it for as I've also been told it is reminiscent of a Santoku. I was mostly curious if there was some pre-existing blade type of which I was unaware that matched this style (I didn't think there was, precisely).

I'm glad it is well received, both by those here and its new owner.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: