Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Hanwei godfred viking sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Brandt Giese

PostPosted: Wed 21 Dec, 2011 6:49 pm    Post subject: Hanwei godfred viking sword         Reply with quote

Hello I have been holding out for another Albion sword of the viking type but it may be awhile before I have the excess funds for such. I have been toying with a cheaper brand and have looked at the Valiant but does not quite do it for me with the stainless fittings and nut design. Anyone have a hanwei godfred sword and what are the pros and cons of it?
Mike Capanelli

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Wed 21 Dec, 2011 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Hanwei godfred viking sword         Reply with quote

Brandt Giese wrote:
Hello I have been holding out for another Albion sword of the viking type but it may be awhile before I have the excess funds for such. I have been toying with a cheaper brand and have looked at the Valiant but does not quite do it for me with the stainless fittings and nut design. Anyone have a hanwei godfred sword and what are the pros and cons of it?

Actually Valiant now offers peened construction and mild steel fittings. If you go to the custom sword shoppe website and go to the pre order page you'll see it as drop down option. The peened assembly is available now and you'd have to contact Sonny over at Valiant to see when the mild steel fittings will be made available.

Winter is coming
Ken Speed

PostPosted: Wed 21 Dec, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'll freely admit I haven't had the opportunity to handle either of these swords but my impression is that you'll get a lot more bang for your buck from the Valiant sword than the Hanwei Godfred. There's a review of the new Hanwei Cawood sword that makes it sound like a good value. Apparently it is much different than the prototype sword shown in the Kult of Athena catalog and very inexpensive, you might want to take a look at it.
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Thu 22 Dec, 2011 12:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you want a low cost pattern welded viking age sword, Hanwei Saxon is a far better choice than Godfred.
Myles Mulkey

PostPosted: Thu 22 Dec, 2011 8:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Luka Borscak wrote:
If you want a low cost pattern welded viking age sword, Hanwei Saxon is a far better choice than Godfred.
Agreed. The Saxon is a much better decision.
P. Cha

PostPosted: Thu 22 Dec, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wait, your against the nut assembly but okay with a threaded pommel?!?
Matthew Bunker

PostPosted: Thu 22 Dec, 2011 3:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Saxon's a good, cheap donor blade for a rrebuild project but the stock furniture and scabbard are bloody awful.
"If a Greek can do it, two Englishman certainly can !"
Brandt Giese

PostPosted: Thu 22 Dec, 2011 4:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ok missed the threaded pomel thanks. I will probably wait for an Albion but the peen and mild steel fittings on the Vaiiant make it a good choice.
David Wilson

PostPosted: Thu 22 Dec, 2011 5:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Pros: It's a lively and very light sword. Great handling qualities. Wonderful to just swing around.

Cons: Where do I begin.... okay, temper has historically been very poor. Do a search here on the Godfred and you'll come up with some kinda scary stuff, including one blade that suffered a catastrophic failure (broke in two) with not much coaxing. My Godfred is very soft and will take a set if flexed just a little out of true. This is one of the biggest complaints with this sword.
The pattern-welding is a bit random and graceless.
The scabbard is historically inaccurate.
The grip is quite thick and odd looking and odd feeling (and I don't think there's any historical precedence for the style of wrap).
There's no evidence for "damascus" hilt parts on historical Viking-era swords, and the hilt is assembled on a threaded tang.

It's a nice wallhanger and it feels nice to, as noted, just swing around. But don't actually cut stuff with it.

The Valiant sword is no less historically accurate than the Godfred, and you can cut stuff with it.

David K. Wilson, Jr.
Laird of Glencoe

Now available on Amazon: Franklin Posner's "Suburban Vampire: A Tale of the Human Condition -- With Vampires" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072N7Y591
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 23 Dec, 2011 9:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you would like an Albion Viking but want to save some money, how about one of the squire line swords at viking shield?

http://www.viking-shield.com/category/69-albion-swords.aspx
D. Phillip Caron

PostPosted: Wed 28 Dec, 2011 4:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have a very new Godfred which an old fat fellow in red clothes got for me with my credit card. This sword is as new to me as I am to swords. I picked it over others because of appearance. The folded metal forging ( actually twisted metal foging I think) gives anexcellent one of a kind pattern to each one.
I cannot say that one is really better than another price range. The blade is true, the handle is tight, the parts are in alighment, I have not seen any production screw-ups. Same for the scabbard which is really loose.That seems to be a standard complaint.
As far as quality, it is not broke, but 99% of those other millions of swords made over all those years are. I must have a good one.
I hope this is helpful. You are welcome to come over and have a look at mine. I'm in Florida.

The first casualty of battle is bravado, the second is macho.
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Wed 28 Dec, 2011 4:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
( actually twisted metal foging I think)

No, it is not a twisted core.

These were an attractive package for some more than a dozen years ago and I'm sure some (as I do) happen to like the handling quite a bit. However, the overall is quite anachronistic and there is no way to sugar coat that. I had thought enough of mine after breaking a blade to buy a bare blade replacement (initial run only) and mine still has a place on my wall and I do still cut up light stuff. Below are a couple of telling past remembrances. One of mine in pieces and a second with a newer generation polished out and etched

Again, This is not some complex twisted core, it is rather coarse layers then etched to reveal the fuller.

The blades on these have been fairly soft over the years and I would not push it on heavier targets. Mine ripped apart doing unswordlike things but the heat treatment was and should still be suspect in terms of heavy use. Even the broken remains of my blade had a fair amount of spring to them, so don't go by superficial examination of these. As mentioned and I'll say it again, I like these but also have a fair grasp on what I would expect from them.

Wishing does not often make something so.

Cheers

GC

Attachment: 83.42 KB
godfred.jpg
Aaron Justice polish and etch. Thread on SFI under a Godfred search

Attachment: 23.66 KB
webready%20composite.jpg
Composite photo and main picture provided by/during examination courtesy of Brian vo Spreybocke (sp)

Attachment: 28.01 KB
0000001.jpg
Hilt parts. Welded stubtang on blade and welded threaded rod. The pommel wrenched off by hand because I was to lazy to dig out the glue under the fancy cap. The replacement welded blade tang was extra long and the pommel was relived to accept a new fit. O
D. Phillip Caron

PostPosted: Wed 28 Dec, 2011 5:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That hurts to look at it. Mine has the folded metal/etching only in the fuller. Meant to mention that.
There is no doubt that you have the greater experience. Mine will most probably end up on a display stand as, with only trailer parks filled with snowbirds which are too highly protected by the bastions of medicare and medicaid, I have nothing to attack.

Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Wed 28 Dec, 2011 5:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Only the fuller is etched on the swords by the factory but the entire blade is the same composition.
Scott S.

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Thu 29 Dec, 2011 7:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J.D. Crawford wrote:
If you would like an Albion Viking but want to save some money, how about one of the squire line swords at viking shield?

WOW! I had no idea Albion offered all those Squire Line Vikings! Why aren't they on Albion's site?? I've been looking at the Type H for a long time as my only option for a quality Viking sword but I find all of these other swords to be more attractive in a design/detail sense, particularly the Vinland.

Thanks very much for this heads-up / revelation J.D.!
D. Phillip Caron

PostPosted: Thu 29 Dec, 2011 10:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Glen, should I understand that the pattern in the fuller is an application much like a tatoo? Or is it something which occurs in forging?
Matt Corbin

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Thu 29 Dec, 2011 10:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott S. wrote:
J.D. Crawford wrote:

WOW! I had no idea Albion offered all those Squire Line Vikings! Why aren't they on Albion's site?? I've been looking at the Type H for a long time as my only option for a quality Viking sword but I find all of these other swords to be more attractive in a design/detail sense, particularly the Vinland.

Thanks very much for this heads-up / revelation J.D.!

For some reason they are available on the Albion Europe site. Just not on the US site. Doesn't make sense to me either.

http://www.albion-europe.com/swords/swords-by...quire.aspx

“This was the age of heroes, some legendary, some historical . . . the misty borderland of history where fact and legend mingle.”
- R. Ewart Oakeshott
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Thu 29 Dec, 2011 11:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

D. Phillip Caron wrote:
Glen, should I understand that the pattern in the fuller is an application much like a tatoo? Or is it something which occurs in forging?

It's a process of forging together and twisting different kinds of steel that corrode in a different time rate so you get the contrast when you treat them with an acid.
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Thu 29 Dec, 2011 11:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Luka Borscak wrote:
D. Phillip Caron wrote:

It's a process of forging together and twisting different kinds of steel that corrode in a different time rate so you get the contrast when you treat them with an acid.

There is no twisting involved in the the pattern that etching is revealed in the fuller of the Hanwei Godfred swords. Simple "folding" only. Attached above is a Godfred blade that was etched after polishing the entire blade, so you see the "pattern" revealed by using an acid. The entire blade is made by such construction.

Composite blades that involve twisting bars for the core of the blade result in fairly distinctve look. The Godfred is quite coarse in comparison of even other simple folded patterns,

There is nothing magic, rather tricks to manipulate blades for whatever one wants to display. A couple of links. Lots of folks do such work. Check out Meier's bowie on the following link,

http://meiersteel.com/

http://www.swordforum.com/forums/showthread.p...res-added)

Cheers

GC

Attachment: 139.04 KB
Cook and Cash 014.jpg
Twisted and simple folding combined in the same blade.
(Kevin Cashen)

Attachment: 136.05 KB
Cook and Cash 023.jpg
The dagger shows more simple patterned steel
(Vince Evans)

Attachment: 21.61 KB
knifeart_1689_16373654.jpg
Two steels welded and twisted (Vince Evans)

Attachment: 87.22 KB
folder1.jpg
Single steel folded and etched
(Vince Evans)

D. Phillip Caron

PostPosted: Thu 29 Dec, 2011 12:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am confused now. My Godfred is a folded metal blade. The patten is brought out by a process?

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Hanwei godfred viking sword
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: