Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > LoTR: Fellowship of the Ring film is ten years old today... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 19 Dec, 2011 4:01 am    Post subject: LoTR: Fellowship of the Ring film is ten years old today...         Reply with quote

Wow, it's been ten years already?

But it's true. The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring was released in theaters exactly ten years ago today. I remember the day well, because I was one of those line-camping, uber-geeky fan people. Laughing Out Loud

This is definately something worth note, at least to me. I cannot say that the LoTR films did not spurn a massive worldwide interest in arms & armor. After these films, the community grew by leaps and bounds as the average Joe became more interested in replica arms & armor. This is naturally not the case for everyone, but there are many among us who were inspired, even if it was to simply point out that the films were not completely accurate. Laughing Out Loud

So, Happy 10th Anniversary, Fellowship of the Ring. I apperciate both the entertaintainment value you offered and how you helped grow the community. Happy

J.E. Sarge
Crusader Monk Sword Scabbards and Customizations
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott
Matthew Bunker

PostPosted: Mon 19 Dec, 2011 4:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The first trailer for The Hobbit comes out in 2 days time.
As one of that odd mix who are great fans of both the source material AND the films, I am unreasonably excited by this.

"If a Greek can do it, two Englishman certainly can !"
Mike Capanelli

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Mon 19 Dec, 2011 5:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew Bunker wrote:
The first trailer for The Hobbit comes out in 2 days time.
As one of that odd mix who are great fans of both the source material AND the films, I am unreasonably excited by this.

Same here man. I'm a fan of the both myself. As much as I loved the books growing up, Peter Jackson has a wonderful "feel" for creating Tolkins world. As for those line campers, alas, I was one as well. It also sparked my interest in Arms and Armor. After the first film I discovered the United replicas and promptly picked up a good portion of them. After displaying and hanging them I started to wonder how you'd REALLY use a sword and if their depiction was close. From there I picked up "The swordsman's companion", sold my a good portion of my replicas to fund a Sempach purchase when I learned what a rat tail tang was, and the rest was history.

Winter is coming
Ken Speed

PostPosted: Mon 19 Dec, 2011 6:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Completely coincidentally, I just started watching the DVD's again.

I suppose this is inexcusably off topic but there are movies one can watch again and again and always pick up something new and others that just don't have that , what?, visual depth. Star Wars has it, although I haven't watched it in years, and Lord of the Rings has it but I was somewhat surprises when Avatar didn't. I watched it a second time in the theater and while I wasn't bored I'd truly "seen it all" the first time.

I'll be interested to see how the Hobbit is handled.
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Mon 19 Dec, 2011 6:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I loved the movies and think in many ways people who make historic movies should take a look at what PJ and Co. have done with arms, armour, props and such when making their own movies. They have raised several bars in the entertainment field with real looking mail and getting people who really understand armour involved in the project.

Looking forward to the hobbit.

RPM
Matthew Bunker

PostPosted: Mon 19 Dec, 2011 7:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Randall Moffett wrote:
I loved the movies and think in many ways people who make historic movies should take a look at what PJ and Co. have done with arms, armour, props and such when making their own movies. They have raised several bars in the entertainment field with real looking mail and getting people who really understand armour involved in the project.

So, John Howe should be allowed to work on every film featuring armour from now on?
Couldn't agree more.

Matt Corbin

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Mon 19 Dec, 2011 7:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow!! Hard to believe it's been ten years already. How the time flies.

Happy BDay LOTR film Laughing Out Loud

“This was the age of heroes, some legendary, some historical . . . the misty borderland of history where fact and legend mingle.”
- R. Ewart Oakeshott
Matthew Bunker

PostPosted: Tue 20 Dec, 2011 10:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

And there it is.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0k3kHtyoqc

William P

PostPosted: Tue 20 Dec, 2011 11:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

not only did the fellowship increase interest in arms and armour as a whole, but ive heard from several people who are part of archey australia, that legolas's endeavours particularly his rapid fire and pinpoint accuracy, resulted in a massive surge in the interest in archery by people of all ages i remember the first time i went to a local archery field i was told 'we got a lot of people trying to be like legolas'

when i got to see the lord of the rings exhibit at the powerhouse museum here in sydney, i was naturally blown away. and i went twice, but it still just wasnt enough.

but funnily enough lord of the rings didnt start my interest in arms and armour, they INCREASED it but didnt start it

the things that spawned my interest in ancient arms and armour was gladiator, crouching tiger hidden dragon,
and zelda, ocarina of time, i saw link as better than other fighters in games like smash brothers because he had a sword, which i saw as vastly superior to bare fists

and gladiator made me want to look at roman and greek history alot, i also discovered the game age of empires and age of mythology around that time
at which point i started wondering 'who would beat who 1v1 so i started looking more and more, your typical history book told me very little about the soldiers equiptment the best i had was one book on knights, and a few books in martin windrows 'soldiers through the ages series
but it still wasnt enough info. because i wanted to know which soldier , roman or greek, egyptian or chinese, etc had the longest sword, the largest shield, the thickest armour, i got this by reasoning from 'sparring as kids with sticks, theone with the shorter stick invariably lost because we essentially fought alot like smallsword fighters, wed always go for the hands, and use the tips of the stick to hit mostly, and a common technique was to grab the other persons 'blade' whic would have been unwise with a real sword
but that made me think longer is better

so i concluded strangely that the classical greek xiphos was a better sword based of the museum replicas verions of their pompeii gladius and the hoplite swords of the time
i also saw it as blatently iron beats bronze,
though being 1v1 i didnt even bother using the macedonian pikeman since i knew itd be useless without a whole heap of buddies

wierd how ones interest evolves
Ted Kokx

PostPosted: Wed 21 Dec, 2011 4:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

just saw the trailer for the hobbit it looks great. it comes out 12-12-12
Jack W. Englund

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Wed 21 Dec, 2011 7:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ted Kokx wrote:

Can "hardly wait" Laughing Out Loud
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 21 Dec, 2011 8:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

These were great movies, not perfect ofcourse, but still really good. You can't completely please a Tolkien nerd with my level of intensity regarding these tales. Wink

Last edited by Jeremy V. Krause on Wed 21 Dec, 2011 5:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Matt Corbin

PostPosted: Wed 21 Dec, 2011 9:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ted Kokx wrote:

12-14-12 actually. And the trailer looks great. This and Dark Knight Rises are on my must see list for 2012.

“This was the age of heroes, some legendary, some historical . . . the misty borderland of history where fact and legend mingle.”
- R. Ewart Oakeshott
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 21 Dec, 2011 1:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew Bunker wrote:
And there it is.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0k3kHtyoqc

Outstanding! So glad that Jackson stayed involved and that they were able to retain the same cast in the overlapping parts.

Like many of you I grew up on the books and also loved fhe films. The films had a very direct impact on my collecting - despite many years of interest in medieval history, swords, etc, I had no idea there was such a thriving community of collectors and makers of medieval replicas until I started searching the internet for replicas of the LOTR movie swords.

It was also one of the first movies I went to see with my wife (back then new girlfriend), and was enormously gratified to learn that she liked it too! That was a very special time. So now its a yearly family Christmas tradition - we will start watching the extended DVDs on Saturday.
Gregg Sobocinski

PostPosted: Wed 21 Dec, 2011 7:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
These were great movies, not perfect ofcourse, but still really good. You can't completely please a Tolkien nerd with my level of intensity regarding these tales. Wink

Well put, Jeremy. Couldn't have said it better, or as succinctly.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > LoTR: Fellowship of the Ring film is ten years old today...
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic