English Cutler Kit
I got one of the eating knife kits from The English Cutler http://www.todsstuff.co.uk/theenglishcutler/k....htm#thumb to build alongside Tod's recent contest (thanks for the inspiration and materials, Tod!). I figured that would be a good way to impose a deadline on the work so it wouldn't sit in a drawer for months. The result is below. This was a very enjoyable project and I'm pleased with the results. It's given me confidence and skills to take on some other languishing knife projects. With the notable exception of the pins and thread, everything here is from the kit--blade, cherrywood (yes, I dyed cherrywood,) leather for internal and external scabbard and leather thong. I didn't use the kit's brass rod for pins because I wanted a specific and somewhat modern look of black and steel.

I used nails for the pins. I should have followed Tod's instructions for the back seam of the external scabbard but instead tried to get cute with a fine whip stitch through the edges of the seam. Bad idea. I saved it, but it wasn't worth the extra effort to use that method. Do yourself a favor and use the thread and needles Tod supplies, following his instructions for a saddle stitch.

So, what I have is a very nice late medieval-ish knife with some modern notes--something for a stylish German banker's desk, perhaps. On second thought, maybe European bankers shouldn't be allowed sharps right now.

Attachment: 36.01 KB
387634_10150402445314387_614039386_8719841_1667722866_n.jpg

Attachment: 41.85 KB
382692_10150402445364387_614039386_8719842_756878437_n.jpg

Attachment: 192.98 KB
tod2.gif

Attachment: 219.33 KB
tod3.gif

Attachment: 201.9 KB
tod.gif

Beautiful work, Sean. We all knew it would be! :)
Thanks, Johnathan! I have an old Atlanta Cutlery "Rifleman's Knife" blade I'll probably finish along the same lines. Lots of "a-ha!" moments with the EC kit. :D
That's a stunning knife, Sean! Well done!!!

Cheers,
Henrik
Henrik Bjoern Boegh wrote:
That's a stunning knife, Sean! Well done!!!

Cheers,
Henrik

Thanks! I may be on a slippery slope...this was SO much easier than a sword. Still have a heap of swords to finish, but I definitely see some knives in my future.
Very Very nice Sean,

Clean and well executed and nicely and medieval.

Well done and the back seam looks great.

Tod
Leo Todeschini wrote:
Very Very nice Sean,

Clean and well executed and nicely and medieval.

Well done and the back seam looks great.

Tod

Thanks, Tod! Everybody who wants to get into DIY arms and armour would do well to start with one of these kits.
Sorry for hijack this thread, but I don't want to start my own. My knife inspired by Leo's competition. I did not buy Leo's kit (sorry, but making the blade is the biggest fun for me :p ) but made the whole knife myself. It was the first thing that I heat treated in my self-made electric kiln but it came out perfectly, hardened to estimated 56 HRC and razor sharp. The only power tools I used were a cordless drill and a variable RPM angle grinder. Unfortunately I did not have time to make a sheath as I was busy on a couple of armor projects as well. Well, honestly speaking, I have never done any leather tooling so making a beautiful sheath would be a major challenge for me. The worst thing is that I probably don't have leather that can be tooled and I don't know where to get it except Internet, but then shipping to my country would probably make it too expensive.

Once again, thanks to Leo for the great contest (though I was not chosen :( ) and inspiration!

Attachment: 82.84 KB
[ Download ]
Looks nice, Aleksei!
English Cutler Kit
Great looking knife and a very attractive sheath. I am glad you were not in the competition.

Yes, knife making is very habit forming.
I'm glad too, Jerry. I would not have enjoyed seeing your entry! :lol:

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: