overweighted solo training longsword
i am looking for an over-weighted sword to do solo training with. i would like something well put together, capable of handling pell work, and with decent balance. currently i am thinking of getting one of the larger(heavier) Realistic Sparring Weapon (RSW) swords (or having one customized), but i thought that i would ask for input before committing to anything.

of coarse the closer it comes to feeling like an actual sword (albeit a heavy one) the better.
lastly finances are a concern, so less expensive is desirable, but you do get what you pay for so... you get the idea. definitely less than $200 though

any suggestion or advise is greatly appreciated
What exactly do you consider to be overweighted?
I use a Jiri Krondak Longsword for training and it has some weight to it.
It matches your price expectations perfectly, handles well and is just about indestructible. It is still one of his lighter weapons, but you can also get an even heavier blade http://fabri-armorum.com/english/?id=mece-1apr.php.

Though there might be a problem with shipping to the US
If it were me I would just make one. You could do it with only minimal tools and still come in below the $200 price point. Then you have your training sword AND some tools. Putting together something like this is fairly simple and as far as consumables go only requires two pieces of bar stock a couple of scrap pieces of wood, some string and a few screws or rivets and some glue. It will not be historical but it will work for your purposes and will even look like a sword with a guard and pommel. If that's the rout you want to go let me know and I can post some instructions for you. Your first one might (will not) be pretty but you can keep making different styles and sizes and they will each be much better than the last.

I however caution you against using this for full speed work because a heavy sword can ruin your technique. Going slow and smooth with a focus on technique can give you a workout though depending on how heavy the sword is.
What is your goal with over weighing the sword?
Do you mean an excessively massive one all over or one with high blade presence, because it doesn't necessarily mean the same thing? A sword with some or even a lot of blade presence doesn't necessarily have to be heavy either, it's got more to do with the overall balance being further out the blade compared to one with the balance close to the guard.
I have both a Purpleheart armory greatsword waster that I had them put a steel scent stopper pommel on, as well as the Cas Hanwei Practical Bastard.

The Practical Bastard weighs in about 3oz shy of four pounds, I would consider that pretty heavy. the balance is good, but the blade has little distal taper with a fat pommel so it has a dead feel to it. It is peened construction and durable.

The great sword waster weighs 2.5lbs before adding the steel pommel. I'm not sure of the weight with it, I don't have a scale that accurate. Its got to be about the same as the bastard though.

They will both handle pell work.

http://www.woodenswords.com/WMA/great.htm 65.00 plus 25.00 for the pommel plus 15.00 shipping = 105.00

http://kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=SH2428 159.95 (don't remember shipping cost)

I wouldn't go much heavier than four Lbs. then your just swinging a metal bar around, it will be hard on your wrists and your technique will suffer.

I actually do have a metal bar that's about 2 feet long and weighs 3lbs for practicing in the house. That was free.
You could check out Kovex Ars: They offer cheap, but durable blunts that are often a tad heavy.
Link: http://www.kovex-ars.cz/index.php?jazyk=A&platidlo=EUR
The primary purpose of the sword is for practicing proper technique in solo drills and forms. This is not intended to be a speed training tool.
I want the balance to be somewhat close to the guard, no abnormally large blade presence, just heavy over all. As far as weight goes I was actually considering getting something as heavy as six pounds. In fact I was aiming for that.

And nothing sharp, i have no intention of taking my leg off doing an improper schielhau. :eek:

@Matthew P. Adams
I've actually practiced with metal bars before, mostly when i had (next to) no other options, but the complete and utter lack of proper balance does add an interesting dimension. That said... its just not the same.
Perhaps you should take a look at armory marek, then

http://www.armorymarek.com/sword

Very nice-looking swords, quite heavy (about 4 lbs), though be prepared to shave off some of the pommel if the balance is too close to the guard or even in it. Otherwise, this seems to be what you're looking for - also, rather cheap, though i'm not sure how it is with shippng to the US.

These are NOT to be sparred with, or even used for techniques with any amount of force.

Regards,
Alen
If you want to perfect form then I'd say an overweight training sword is not the way to go. My concern with a overly heavy one handed sword would be damaging the wrist. Why don't you consider using your normal training sword and wear wrist weights so you're not over stressing what is a pretty fragile joint.
Ken Speed wrote:
If you want to perfect form then I'd say an overweight training sword is not the way to go. My concern with a overly heavy one handed sword would be damaging the wrist. Why don't you consider using your normal training sword and wear wrist weights so you're not over stressing what is a pretty fragile joint.

I second that. If you want to practice proper techniques, use a proper sword and not a crowbar (nothing else are those overweight blunts). I myself had my wrist damaged in a bike accident. Normally I don't notice it, but as soon as I practice with my sword, using it the wrong way (e.g. working against it's balance- and rotation point), I get my wrist aching for some days.

Thomas

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: