Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > The making of Riveted Mail Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Wed 09 Nov, 2011 10:07 am    Post subject: The making of Riveted Mail         Reply with quote

So I have decided I will never be wealthy enough to have a perfectly fit and made pair of chausses and such unless I make them. As well I have all sorts of small mail things I'd like to have but fit into the same category, many being custom items such as mail mittens for a hauberk. I have figured I could make it in my little residential neighborhood with little to no noise (no hammering) If I could find or make pliers to pierce and peen the rivets. Does any one know of any one who still makes or sells these? I am also looking for manufacturers of ready made links for mail as well that are somewhat accurate for the late medieval period.

As well I am looking for any information on making them if it is still available. I knew of some old sites a decade ago but cannot find any of them any more. If I can make them without hammering and grinding I might be able to do it myself but from what I remember of them they all seem louder than I likely could do on a normal basis.

I have made riveted mail by hand with a punch and hammer but honestly have little interest in doing it this way. Last riveted mail item I made this fashion was a most painful exercise for me and with my very little amount of free time and the noise of hammering all the time, I think this will take too long to be expeditious.

Any mail makers out there?

RPM
Christopher Treichel

PostPosted: Wed 09 Nov, 2011 11:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Try Armourarchive.org and do a search for mail rivet tools... you should find a couple of posts about how to make rivet pliers etc for making chain mail...

www.icefalcon.com sells a rivet setting tool as well as loose rings etc.
Paul Hansen

PostPosted: Wed 09 Nov, 2011 12:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Maybe take a look here?
http://theringlord.com/
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Wed 09 Nov, 2011 1:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Christopher,

Thanks I did not know Icefalcon sold those. I might have to email him and see if he has further pictures.

Paul,

I looked there and on Maille artists and found very little on what I was looking for but I will give it a second try. I did try searching the AA but got so many hits on the terms I searched it made it somewhat of limited use.

Thanks again!

RPM
John Turner

PostPosted: Thu 10 Nov, 2011 3:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Randall,

Try GDFB - they have plenty of supplies for DIY Maille - bags of rings, (round and wedge rivetted and solid punched) and the pliers you need. I am not so experienced but have recently started to try DIY (making a few patches to try out the techniques), with the intention of adapting some of the maille I have (inspired by the knowledge and info on this site to make it more like historically authentic.)

http://www.getdressedforbattle.co.uk/acatalog...ille.html.

The pliers are designed for the round rivets, but I have a friend who has adapted a set for the wedge shaped rivets (seems to work ok, but not seen any long term results).

"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it."

Edmund Burke

"If History is so important, why is it so easy to forget?"
Encho Yakovchev

PostPosted: Thu 10 Nov, 2011 1:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You can check this out:
http://www.arador.com/construction/index.html
It seems quite useful to me, although I have to admit I've never tried it myself... but I'm planning to! Happy

Good luck with your project.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > The making of Riveted Mail
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic