Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > modern firearms resources on the web Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Gabriele Becattini

PostPosted: Mon 31 Oct, 2011 10:32 am    Post subject: modern firearms resources on the web         Reply with quote

I know that the topic is not appropriate for the myArmoury forum, (I have already discussed with Nathan Robinson about it)

but i'll try to ask my question in a proper way: i have recently decided to start to train with modern firearms, i would like to

know if there is a forum that can compare with myArmoury in seriousness and competence related to the subject.

i would like to find a community with the same serious attitude as this website because it is my first foray in the world of the modern arms

thank for your help
James W

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Mon 31 Oct, 2011 11:45 am    Post subject: an interesting question         Reply with quote

To answer your question, I need some additional info. What sort of firearms are you interested in (pistol, revolver, rifle, or shotgun) and have access to (or plan to purchase)? When you say training, what do you mean (tactical, bullseye, practical pistol)? What are the laws for your country/state/city? Are you located outside the US? Feel free to PM me if you wish.
Hanns Wiechman

PostPosted: Mon 31 Oct, 2011 12:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd recommend checking out www.tacticalforums.com and doing a lot of reading. They are tolerant of "newbs" if you ask intelligent questions and are willing to use the search feature. A huge wealth of knowledge and a lot of people who have been there and done that. They also have a very low tolerance for posers or people who lie about their military experience. This tends to separate the quiet professionals from those who want to self aggrandize to sell more t-shirts and widgets.
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 31 Oct, 2011 12:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've been using www.ar15.com for years with great results - it's not just for the AR15 platform, they have sub-forums for all firearm types. There are a tremendous amount of knowledgable users there, anytime I have asked a question - I have gotten an answer in minutes. It's not as friendly a place as myArmoury, it will toughen your skin pretty quick - as many modern firearm collectors are rough and tumble sorts, or at least like to appear as such in the forums. Happy

There are more than a few trolls there, but you will learn to avoid/ignore them quickly. It's so large of a forum that the moderators have a hard time keeping things on track - I have seen flame wars go to 30-40 pages in a couple hours before they were stopped. Just be sure you do a bit of research before asking a question, as if something is commonly known, you will get the occasional 'FAIL' or 'Use Google, NOOB' type comment.

All in all, it's a valuable resource. Just don't take anything personally, and you will find many, many great people in the community. Happy

J.E. Sarge
Crusader Monk Sword Scabbards and Customizations
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott
Ian S LaSpina

Reading list: 5 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 31 Oct, 2011 2:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

JE Sarge wrote:
I've been using www.ar15.com for years with great results - it's not just for the AR15 platform, they have sub-forums for all firearm types. There are a tremendous amount of knowledgable users there, anytime I have asked a question - I have gotten an answer in minutes. It's not as friendly a place as myArmoury, it will toughen your skin pretty quick - as many modern firearm collectors are rough and tumble sorts, or at least like to appear as such in the forums. Happy

There are more than a few trolls there, but you will learn to avoid/ignore them quickly. It's so large of a forum that the moderators have a hard time keeping things on track - I have seen flame wars go to 30-40 pages in a couple hours before they were stopped. Just be sure you do a bit of research before asking a question, as if something is commonly known, you will get the occasional 'FAIL' or 'Use Google, NOOB' type comment.

All in all, it's a valuable resource. Just don't take anything personally, and you will find many, many great people in the community. Happy

I will second AR15.com as a good resource. As Mr. Sarge mentioned though, tread carefully as things are not as friendly and civil there as they are here. myArmoury.com is a true rarity on the internet in that respect.

If you're the kind of guy who's interested in training videos and classes, I'd also point you toward the line of training materials that the company Magpul does. There's a lot of good feedback on what they produce out there. Magpul designs all kinds of outstanding accessories and replacement parts for firearms, but they hold some awesome classes as well. Magpul.com will get you to there normal website, but the training stuff can be found on http://www.magpuldynamics.com/.

My YouTube Channel - Knyght Errant
My Pinterest
"Monsters are dangerous, and just now Kings are dying like flies..."
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Mon 31 Oct, 2011 5:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree that AR.15.com is an excellent source for information. You can also try FALFILES.com which has a forum as well. These guys tend to be a little more "salty" than sword guys, which I think is common for gun guys, but as was said earlier, if you have a question there is someone out there, several someones in fact, who will give you an immediate answer.

While the FALFILES site was founded to be a source of information on the FN FAL rifle and its variants, the forum also has sections for just about every modern and not-so-modern military and tactical firearm, including the AR and the AK.

Good luck.

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Zach Gordon

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 31 Oct, 2011 5:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

www.thehighroad.org

I am a huge fan of this site, it is quite similar to myArmoury... but geared towards firearms.
Gabriele Becattini

PostPosted: Tue 01 Nov, 2011 3:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

thank you very much for all your answer, just to make my post a llitle bit more complete:

i don't have a military background and my interest in firearms is just practical, i have planned to buy a pistol and a rifle,for target shooting and home defence, i live in italy where the law are much more restrictive and i guess that
certain kind weapon are for sure not available on the italian market

the information that i hope to gather is mainly about the right kind of firearms to buy

i'll start to take a look at the various resources that you have kindly provided, i was sure to find again a lot of helpful answers :-)
Gabriele Becattini

PostPosted: Tue 01 Nov, 2011 3:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I was thinking that if someone is willing to share his knowledge about the subject or give me a direct answer to my questions could e-mail me at gabrielebecattini77@hotmail.com

i don't want to lenghten too much a topic beyond the scope of myArmoury that Nathan has kindly allowed me to post
Robert Rytel

PostPosted: Tue 01 Nov, 2011 5:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Zach Gordon wrote:
www.thehighroad.org

I am a huge fan of this site, it is quite similar to myArmoury... but geared towards firearms.

I second this recommendation.

Here is an exerpt from their forum rules:

"This board is called "The High Road" for a purpose. It's reason to exist is to be a place for a higher grade of discussion than is found on some other gun forums. Posts consisting of personal attacks, group stereotyping, macho chest-thumping, and partisan hackery are low road."
Dave Calhoun

PostPosted: Tue 01 Nov, 2011 11:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In addition to Zach and Rob's recommendation, I would also add http://www.gunrightsmedia.com. Not sure about the situation in Italy, but buying a gun is a very personal thing; there is no one-size-fits-all solution. If you want, email me at spitfireguymk1@hotmail.com with your questions and I will answer as I can.
D. S. Smith

PostPosted: Mon 07 Nov, 2011 1:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I stopped going to AR15.com years ago due to all the buffoonery (sp) Laughing Out Loud . In my opinion there are FAR better gun forums out there. M4carbine.net is a better forum, with a much better trained/ more knowledgeable user group on average. 1911forum.com is an outstanding forum, and they discuss a lot more than just pistols. In fact, of the many gun-related forums I've been on over the years (sigforum, ar15.com, m4carbine.net, glocktalk, battlerifles.com, etc.; 1911forum is by far the most mature and polite gun forum. I'm not saying there aren't a few turds, every forum has them. But 1911forum is honestly head and shoulders above the rest in terms or helpful/ polite folks.

For strictly military type info, it is very hard to beat lightfighter.net. But be prepared to tread lightly, they are not very forgiving of clowns or people who don't do their homework. Laughing Out Loud

As for your question, Gabriele, it is hard to suggest a weapon for target shooting and home defense without knowing what your gun laws are like. For home defense, they may not be glamorous, but a pump action 12 gauge shotgun is very hard to beat. it doesn't have to be all tricked out with bells and whistles to be effective. A light, however, is very important in home defense. The 12 gauge is a poor gun for target shooting though. Trap and skeet can be great fun, but for working on accuracy and improving your shooting skills, a shotgun is not always best. If you go the pump shotgun route I'd strongly recommend a Remington 870 (I've owned a number of shotguns over the years, including Benelli's, Remingtons, and trained with Mossbergs. The 870 is my favorite).

For handguns, if semi-autos are allowed, the SIG Sauer line (P226, P229 especially) are very hard to beat. The Glock and Smith and Wesson M&P are excellent if you prefer polymer pistols. Opinions will vary widely on guns, but what I appreciate about the pistols I've mentioned are their easy manual of arms to learn, reasonable to excellent accuracy, and exceptional reliability (the most important feature of all).

If your emphasis is on target shooting/ hobby, then by all means go with whatever speaks to you the most. But for purely defensive work, simpler is often better. I've been carrying guns at work, home, and off-duty for the past decade (several years of which were as a SWAT entry team officer). A Remington 870 and a Glock 19 or 22 are very inexpensive weapons but would be my choice (I'm assuming assault rifles are unavailable) for home defense or to learn to shoot.

And remeber that in the end, the person behind the gun is much more important than the gun. The gun is a tool. Your clarity of mind, situational awareness, firearm manipulation skills, and ability to think under stress will all weigh far more heavily than your choice of gun platform. Whatever gun you end up going with, become a master of it. Knowledge and training will replace fear and uncertainty when the crap hits the fan.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > modern firearms resources on the web
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic