welding a saxon seax for nat geo.
here is a link to a nat geo clip on forging a patternwelded seax.
filmed this spring and narrated by Donald Southerland.........
The program should air soon. I am particularly proud of this blade , a lot of work went into it.
http://video.nationalgeographic.com/video/pla...sword.html
Congratulations, Owen! Both on yet another fabulous blade forged and on spreading the word on how blade were made through National Geography channel!
Fantastic video, Owen. Well done!
Congrats Owen!!! Great video and great blade.
Yea! Saw this on facebook a few days ago. Awesome job and well done. IMO you are making the best looking seax blades in the world right now and you deserved some TV time.
Excellent presentation Owen!
Johan Gemvik wrote:
Excellent presentation Owen!

I second this.
Thank you for your kind comments, the tv show aired in the USA on monday .
I have not seen it yet?
It was a rare opportunity to be shown as a "modern" sword smith.....

thanks Matthew , I have been embroiled in seax for a while now and I thope it is showing in the work.
Simply amazing Owen. Congratulations!

It astounds me though the amount of time and manpower needed back then to forge just one sword like this especially without all the modern tools.
Forging a seax
Owen

I understand the programme will be aired in the U.K. on the 7th December.

best
Dave
The program was spectacular and the seax you smithed was fantastic!
I loved watching the video Owen. That was really cool. Now the casual TV viewer can see how period weapons, at least seaxes, were put together.

Really great!
Nat geo program.
I watched the Nat Geo program on Monday and I must say I really enjoyed it and even learned something new. I have always believed that our Medieval ancestors were not just some unsophisticated brutes but were in fact intelligent and highly skilled craftsmen.

Owen,
The seax you created is a beautiful piece and worthy of the artifacts that it was patterned after.
Thanks for posting; I enjoyed watching the clip and will have to watch the whole show. I especially liked seeing you press the two halves of the blade together prior to welding to make them match. :)
Authoratitive and skillfull - very nicely delivered.

More to the point I can tell you that in real life the blades that came from these forgings are really something quite special. Fantastic work.

Tod

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: