Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Segment on Jousting- CBS Sunday Morning w/ Bill Geist Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jeffrey Hedgecock
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 26 Oct, 2011 4:13 pm    Post subject: Segment on Jousting- CBS Sunday Morning w/ Bill Geist         Reply with quote

Hi All,

Our Tournament of the Phoenix 2011 was held this last weekend and we had nationally known, award winning journalist Bill Geist visiting with video crew in tow. He talked to many of our competitors, spending the entire day with me and company, then Monday as well with me at my workshop. He interviewed my wife Gwen (TotP Producer) and myself. The footage will be used as part of a segment on Jousting to be aired this Sunday October 30, between 7am and 8:30am Eastern and Pacific. I don't know when it airs in the other time zones.

I hope you'll try to catch the segment and let me know what you think. I don't know what the "angle" will be, but the crew got lots of outstanding footage of our tournament, and Bill asked us many interesting questions.

Best,

Jeffrey H.

Cheers,

Jeffrey Hedgecock
Historic Enterprises, Inc.
WorldJoust Tournaments™
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Wed 26 Oct, 2011 7:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeff,

Nice work! I will do my best to watch it. Sounds like a great program to watch. One of these days my family and I will have to make it down there for the event.

RPM
Michele Hansen

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Wed 26 Oct, 2011 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Segment on Jousting- CBS Sunday Morning w/ Bill Geist         Reply with quote

Jeffrey Hedgecock wrote:
Hi All,

...The footage will be used as part of a segment on Jousting to be aired this Sunday October 30, between 7am and 8:30am Eastern and Pacific. I don't know when it airs in the other time zones.

I hope you'll try to catch the segment and let me know what you think. I don't know what the "angle" will be, but the crew got lots of outstanding footage of our tournament, and Bill asked us many interesting questions.

Best,

Jeffrey H.

Thanks for the heads-up, Mr. Hedgecock! I know where I'll be at 7 a.m. on Sunday.

This is just too cool! I know jousting is a fairly popular, and a serious sport in Europe. Does this mean there are actually competitions here in the USA that are not centered on stunt riding and the entertainment industry? I would love nothing more than to see jousting in the Olympic Games. Dressage, Hunt Seat, horse-racing, and bronco busting are some equestrian sports that come to mind. I know there are others, but know nothing of competitive jousting.

I have an online friend in Europe, and she wrote that her father participates in jousts. She believes what with the rules, and strict enforcement by referees, that jousting is no more dangerous--even safer--than many other contact sports.

What I wouldn't give to have jousting as a national pastime right up there with baseball, NFL football, Football clubs, and basketball in the US of A. If 350 lb. linebackers can crush a 220 lb. QB, is that really so different from knocking an opponent off a horse, being hit by a quintain, or aiming for a ring? Especially when professional jousters would likely train as hard as athletes in the NFL.

Il est apelée de Montfort. Il est el Mond, et si est fort. Si ad grant chevalrie; Je vois et je m’ acort. Il eime le droit, et het le tort. Si avera le mestrie!
Adam Bohnstengel

PostPosted: Fri 28 Oct, 2011 7:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What network and show will this be on? I won't be up, but jousting sounds like some DVR fodder. I can't wait for the day when I have the money for a horse and can really start looking into jousting myself.
Violence is the supreme authority from which all other authority is derived.
Eric Meulemans
Industry Professional

Reading list: 18 books

PostPosted: Sun 30 Oct, 2011 8:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The segment is available for view online at http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=738647...ontentBody
Joshua Anthony

PostPosted: Sun 30 Oct, 2011 11:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Watched it this morning and really enjoyed it. I love Geist's irreverent reporting style, and thought he gave the sport a fair shake.

Congratulations on getting the much needed (and free!) publicity! Big Grin

"...He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one." - Jesus, Luke 22:36
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Sun 30 Oct, 2011 1:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I was very cool Jeff. Looks like a fun time for all involved. Really need to get down there sometime for the event.

RPM
Greg Mele
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 31 Oct, 2011 8:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeff,

I think the newscasters actually did a good job with this and gave you and Gwen enough time to clearly differentiate what you do from ...er...'those other guys".

Greg

Greg Mele
Chicago Swordplay Guild
www.chicagoswordplayguild.com

www.freelanceacademypress.com

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Segment on Jousting- CBS Sunday Morning w/ Bill Geist
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic