identifying old fencing sword dug up
i recently dug up an old , somewhat rusted fencing sword. there are carvings on the handle and blade. i am looking for help in determining its origin and time period, or if it is just some replica. can someone please help

Attachment: 29.13 KB
sword 1.jpg

Attachment: 24.77 KB
sword 2.jpg

Looks like a broken Italian gripped foil. Those are still made, but illegal in most competitions.

I'd guess that it's from the late 19th or early 20th century. Could you post a closer shot of the guard decorations and the figure on the ricasso?

It's quite beautiful, I'd love to be able to fence with a foil like that. :D
Its a Spanish made tourist blade... guard is on upside down and half of the grip is broken off. Sorry, not an antique... they are still being produced google Marto Italian Foil.

Its news to me that the Italian grip is illegal in sport fencing? Is that some new rule? I have not fenced USFA since 2001.
here is a picture of an Italian foil

Attachment: 61.94 KB
505px-Foil-2004-A.jpg

I think I agree with the "broken Italian foil" idea, but a close-up picture of where the ring is missing would be helpful.

It might be what some call a Spanish-grip or some other obscure gripped foil as well.
Christopher Treichel wrote:
Its a Spanish made tourist blade... guard is on upside down and half of the grip is broken off. Sorry, not an antique... they are still being produced google Marto Italian Foil.

Its news to me that the Italian grip is illegal in sport fencing? Is that some new rule? I have not fenced USFA since 2001.

I couldn't find anything under "Marto Italian Foil" that resembles this piece. Could you provide a link?

As far as Italian grips being illegal, I can't say for sure, that's just what I've heard from other fencers.
http://www.aceros-de-hispania.com/gb/infer.as...p_floretes

Looks kinda like the one on the right, but not exact. Older production run? Does the blade look similar?

Christopher is right. It's a Spanish tourist piece. 1970s or later.

Correct. They can be disassembled via screwing the pommel off, the dish guard is reveresed. I think it is actualy a Spanish Foil rather Italian, and the sub-guard while not broken is stepped. Cheesy, but the blade is tempered.
Italian grip is still legal in competition, just not common. The Spanish grip IS illegal, but so are some other grips as well.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: