Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Rapier 2011 - 24-25th Sept 2011 - School of the Sword, UKEvent Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Rob Runacres

PostPosted: Tue 08 Feb, 2011 11:29 am    Post subject: Rapier 2011 - 24-25th Sept 2011 - School of the Sword, UK         Reply with quote

Hi

This September we will be holding a rapier event in the UK. I realise it's unlikely those of you outside of Europe will be able to make the trip, but you'll be very welcome if you can. The message below is from Caroline Stewart, the Director of the School. Meanwhile, I will post updates as they come.

Rob Runacres

http://www.schoolofthesword.com/

Quote:
This September, The School of the Sword will be hosting a 2 day event dedicated to the study of the rapier.

The vision behind the event, which celebrates the 10th year of the School of the Sword in its current form, is to bring together a group of instructors and students, over the course of two days, to take part in a series of workshops and a tournament dedicated to rapier in all its forms. Key to this is the fact that, unlike the majority of HEMA events, the level of the workshops and expected level of the attendees is not “beginner”. There are plenty of events across Europe where one can try something for the first time. Our drive is to give experienced practitioners the chance to compare and contrast different styles/sources, taught by good instructors, at a focused, single weapon event.

By pitching the content and approach of the workshops at this level, focusing on more advanced techniques and principles, we hope that the exchange between delegates and instructors will greatly develop the broader understanding of the rapier and its companion weapons.

By giving workshops, demonstration bouts between instructors in different styles, and the chance for experimental exchanges, the event should be seen as an academic exercise as well as a physical one.

The event will be held on the weekend of the 24th - 25th September 2011, in Aldershot, Hants.
More details , and the event website, will follow soon.
Rob Runacres

PostPosted: Fri 06 May, 2011 5:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Long time in coming, but the event website is up here.

Tickets will be available soon.
Rob Runacres

PostPosted: Fri 10 Jun, 2011 7:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Booking is now open here!

Confirmed as instructors are

Caroline Stewart and Phil Marshall (Fabris/Alfieri)
Dave Rawlings (Thibault)
Andrew Feest (Capo Ferro)
Reinier Van Noort (Bruchius, comparison to Italian sources)

Hope to see you there.
Rob Runacres

PostPosted: Sun 07 Aug, 2011 12:24 pm    Post subject: Rapier 2011 - Tournament Rules         Reply with quote

The tournament rules can be viewed here
Rob Runacres

PostPosted: Fri 14 Oct, 2011 5:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi

Again my apologies for not posting sooner; work seems to have no sympathy to the higher calling of the rapier!

Rapier 2011 was very good. I had intended to write a summary, but Fabrice Cognot of the De Taille et d'Estoc as already done the job:

Quote:
My, what a good week end it was !

About 40 people gathered in Aldershot, using space kindly provided by the 4th Medical Brigade, for a weekend fully devoted to the Rapier (and dagger, sometimes). Even though we all know there are lots and lots of Rapier enthusiasts worldwide, the happy few that did make it there had all in common a dedication and love for this highly elegant and deadly weapon, and for the study of the teachings of the Masters of Old, which made for an incredible atmosphere of mutual respect, appreciation and kindness of spirit.

The fact that the famed School of the Sword was the host of this event also greatly added to its succes, I must say.

The workshops, run by Phil Marshall, Reinier Van Noort, Andrew Feest, Dave Rawlings and Fabrice Cognot, provided intersting and sometimes wildly different takes and input on the use fo this weapon, emphasizing the richness of Historical Rapier fencing. From the delicate, instant-decision-making teachings of Thibault (thanks to Dave), to the transitional doctrines of Bruchius (as explained by Reinier), from the principles of Alfieri's main guard (thanks Phil & Caroline) to the dirty tricks of the Frenchman Dancie or the elegant moves of Italian material, we had a great time exploring - and maybe learning - how diverse, how deadly the rapier could be.

The tournament, run under Phil Marshall's rules, was a blast. Some fo the fights were purely fantastic. Some of the fighters were, dare I say, amazing. And up to the finals, this competition offered us a high level of entertainment and martial skill. Congratulations not only to those who made it to the podium, but to all participants for such a wonderful time - as a judge, I can but confirm how helpful it is to have fighters showing great spirit and high skill.
The final fight, especially, was a pure moment of Rapier joy between two of the best - and I'm not just speaking of Martial aspects now - fighters I know. And at the end, Thibault Ghesquière from De Taille et d'Estoc had the upper hand over an always brilliant Hans Jörnlind in a case of sudden death after what was one of the most entertaining fights of this competition. Well done, Thib !

Awards were also given to fighters not necessarily making it to the top tier, but who still achieved worthwile feats, or displayed the purest style. Rob Runacres of SotS was - for a short, time-suspending while - Fabris Incarnate. Another award went to another Rob (Wrightson) from Susser Sword Academy for single rapier, and the third to Jason from SotS for least hits received.

And we made new friends. And saw old friends. And we had good free play too. Battered, knackered, and therefore happy Big Grin

If anyone is interested, I can post links to some YouTube videos from the event.

We will be hosting Rapier 2012 on 22nd-23rd September. I hope we will see you there.
Job Overbeek

PostPosted: Fri 14 Oct, 2011 9:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Please post videos of every single fight!
I'd love to see some experienced fighters spar, there are never enough vids of that online.
Rob Runacres

PostPosted: Fri 14 Oct, 2011 10:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Job Overbeek wrote:
Please post videos of every single fight!
I'd love to see some experienced fighters spar, there are never enough vids of that online.

Okay! These are 'okay' vids taken at the end of the event, so every one is a little shattered. I recommend watching the background as well as the main focus of each vid, as there's some rather nice play:

http://youtu.be/uypQera7twg

http://youtu.be/7NMYOjxiZFg

http://youtu.be/42LRM5CdbTc

http://youtu.be/rLwmXBxC85A

http://youtu.be/WUv1oL9wxW8

Thibault is the chap in the grey trousers; he won the competition. He fights in the style of Dancie. Francesco (the very tall one in the third fight!) teaches in Rome, the form of Marcelli. Neil and I practice Alfieri and Fabris predominantly.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Rapier 2011 - 24-25th Sept 2011 - School of the Sword, UKEvent
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic