Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Show us your Surcoats Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Robert S. Haile

PostPosted: Tue 11 Oct, 2011 3:05 am    Post subject: Show us your Surcoats         Reply with quote

Post your surcoats, tabards, gipons, and various heraldic wear! Let's see some pageantry. Both accurate reproductions and self-made heraldic devices are welcome.

Unfortunately I don't have anything I find worthy of showing off just yet, but I'll kick things off by sharing what's in the works. I'm currently working on a new late 14th/early 15th century style surcoat that bears a more plausible coat of arms than my previous endeavors, which while handsome, were a downright abomination as far as the rules of heraldry go (We're talking red and black, no metal, and quartered with four seperate arms marshalled. Not to mention one of the charges facing the wrong direction). The new design is a little more plausible despite also being of my own creation. It's going to bear the arms below, and will be cut from wool with a lacing system running up the sides to provide the ever popular wasp waisted look of the 14th and 15th centuries.

(The fabricated arms I intend to use on the surcoat, courtesy of MS paint. Feel free to share your own, whether genuine and registered or of your own creation for the purpose of livening up your harness.)
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue 11 Oct, 2011 9:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just to get this back on topic I have this one made by Windlass: Nothing really original but functional and not bad looking and since it's based on a movie I don't have to be concerned about it belonging to a real historical figure i.e. Richard the Lion Heart for example: Unless I'm actually wanting to portray a specific historical person I wanted a " generic " surcoat.

http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=...ffin+Tunic

Naturally a custom made one with a crest/heraldry of my design would be better, but this is good enough for me at the moment. This one would work for 13th century and hauberk with limited plate and great helm and heater shield.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Nathan Quarantillo

PostPosted: Wed 12 Oct, 2011 2:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here are mine so far.

Attachment: 55.65 KB
Teu Hochmiester stance.jpg

Attachment: 70.04 KB
Allan4.jpg

Attachment: 84.36 KB
TEU kit MDRF.jpg

Attachment: 27.43 KB
Sleeved surcoat.jpg

"Id rather be historically accurate than politically correct"
Nathan Quarantillo

PostPosted: Wed 12 Oct, 2011 2:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Did a post get deleted from this topic? WTF?!

BTW, I'll post my Coat of Arms as well.

Attachment: 25.62 KB
Sirnathanq COA 3.png
Per cross sable and argent, a cross filet gules between an oak tree eradicated and a tower argent, two crosses crosslet sable.

Joshua Anthony

PostPosted: Wed 12 Oct, 2011 2:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's some impressive work Nathan. Two questions if I may: 1. Where did you have the work done? Secondly, did you design your own, or did you find the design while doing research on your family?
"...He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one." - Jesus, Luke 22:36
Nathan Quarantillo

PostPosted: Wed 12 Oct, 2011 4:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you Joshua. The work is done by a local seamstress, who has done all of my projects. Her work is excellent.

I designed my own Coat of Arms. In period, families themselves didn't have a coat of arms. While they would follow a theme (depending on the system of heraldry one is using) each individual would have their own.

You should post pictures of that beautiful signet ring of yours here. It might fall under the category of heraldic items.

Joshua Anthony

PostPosted: Wed 12 Oct, 2011 4:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Quarantillo wrote:
Thank you Joshua. The work is done by a local seamstress, who has done all of my projects. Her work is excellent.

I designed my own Coat of Arms. In period, families themselves didn't have a coat of arms. While they would follow a theme (depending on the system of heraldry one is using) each individual would have their own.

You should post pictures of that beautiful signet ring of yours here. It might fall under the category of heraldic items.

There's a whole convoluted thread in "Off Topic Talk" about my ring with the title The Medieval Signet Ring:

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=24251

Grab some popcorn and check it out:-)

Jean: I like the looks of the KOA surcoat. If nothing else it might be a good pattern to make your own.

"...He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one." - Jesus, Luke 22:36
Robert S. Haile

PostPosted: Wed 12 Oct, 2011 7:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Quarantillo wrote:

Great to see someone else who understands the coat of arms process. Awfully big shame for folks who tattoo their supposed family's coat of arm's only to find out it belonged to one unrelated individual from another branch of the family. Your equipment is coming along very nicely, by the way. I'd slacking on my own, unfortunately, due to having to purchase slews of old west clothing and firearms for my other hobby.

The coat of arms I was showing in the original post sort of follows the pattern of a few ancestor's personal arms...namely the colors of one Sir Nicholas De Hales who was alive during the peasant's revolt and the charge of John De Hales from a few generations later. Interestingly enough (to myself, at least) is the fact that Nicholas's brother, Robert, was the prior of the knight's hospitaller who was executed along with the Archbishop on Tower Hill. Unfortunate fate...but not a surprising one for a tax collector Cool
Nathan Quarantillo

PostPosted: Sun 16 Oct, 2011 6:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robert S. Haile wrote:

Great to see someone else who understands the coat of arms process. Awfully big shame for folks who tattoo their supposed family's coat of arm's only to find out it belonged to one unrelated individual from another branch of the family. Your equipment is coming along very nicely, by the way. I'd slacking on my own, unfortunately, due to having to purchase slews of old west clothing and firearms for my other hobby.

The coat of arms I was showing in the original post sort of follows the pattern of a few ancestor's personal arms...namely the colors of one Sir Nicholas De Hales who was alive during the peasant's revolt and the charge of John De Hales from a few generations later. Interestingly enough (to myself, at least) is the fact that Nicholas's brother, Robert, was the prior of the knight's hospitaller who was executed along with the Archbishop on Tower Hill. Unfortunate fate...but not a surprising one for a tax collector Cool

Thank you Happy Yes, I really HATE to be the bearer of bad news to folks whenever they ask me that. Some get seriously quite defensive, like I'm attacking them or something.
Thanks for the kind words on my kits. I should be slowing down soon though. I've covered the 3 centuries I'm most interested in, so the purchases have to slow down now (my folks are already perplexed enough about this whole thing Wink )

Hey, I like the 19th century just fine. There's even an ACW group in town I plan to eventually get involved in.

That's cool, getting actual basis from past family members for your Coat Of Arms. There's unfortunately, not much readily available for my families. Most info was lost on the passage here during the mid 19th century. However, by the meaning of the name, I have deduced that they probably possesed one in period.

Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Sun 16 Oct, 2011 10:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bram van Diemen

PostPosted: Sun 16 Oct, 2011 12:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

At the moment this is my surcoat, sewn by my own hands.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Show us your Surcoats
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic