New from Freelance Academy Press: Armizare, Sword & Shie
Greetings!

With a captive audience of HEMA aficionados gathered at WMAW, we thought it the perfect time to debut not one, but two new titles that we guarantee are game-changers for students of medieval martial arts. Now, we are pleased to share the news with you…

NEW! ARMIZARE: THE CHIVALRIC MARTIAL ARTS SYSTEM OF IL FIOR DI BATTAGLIA http://www.freelanceacademypress.com/armizare.aspx
Armizare (“the Art of Arms”) was the name the warriors of medieval Italy gave to their fighting art, which included the wielding of sword, axe and spear with wrestling, knife-fighting and mounted combat. Long-called the “Father of Italian Fencing”, the 14th century swordsman, Fiore dei Liberi, was a master of this discipline, and his four manuscripts are cornerstones of the modern reconstruction of medieval martial arts. It is therefore surprising that so little on Fiore and his art exists in English for the modern practitioner.

]In Armizare: The Chivalric Martial Arts System of il Fior di Battaglia[/url], Robert Charrette brings together his experiences as a martial artist and respected 14th century living historian with his skills as a professional author and graphic artist to not only take readers on a walking tour of Master Fiore’s manuscripts, but into the mindset behind its creation. More than just an interpretation of an old book’s contents, this is a tool-kit that reveals Fiore dei Liberi’s brilliance as not just a fighter, but as martial arts teacher. Whether a long-time student, a newcomer to the art or a more academic devoté of the medieval warrior and his craft, readers will find themselves educated and entertained as a door is opened into another time and place - the training hall of the medieval knight.

NEW! SWORD AND SHIELD INSTRUCTIONAL DVDhttp://www.freelanceacademypress.com/swordandshielddvd.aspx
One of the world’s oldest documented fighting traditions is presented by one of the world’s most respected schools of European swordsmanship in this in-depth, professionally filmed instructional DVD.

For centuries, unarmored combat with the sword and a small shield, or buckler, was one of the most widespread martial arts of medieval and Renaissance Europe.

In Sword and Shield: Basic principles and techniques of medieval buckler combat [link] Roland Warzecha and Tobias Wenzel offer an introduction to this fascinating fighting art, based on surviving medieval combat treatises and years of martial arts practice. Viewers are guided step-by-step through the fundamentals of body mechanics, tactics and fencing theory. As a bonus, the DVD contains a discussion of choosing safety gear and practice weapons, and contains unedited sequences of competitive free play as an example of modern sword and buckler sparring.

An ideal starting point for your personal training with sword and buckler, this DVD also provides useful insights and cutting edge research for the seasoned practitioner of Western martial arts.

FOR THE TRUE DEVOTEE: SWORD AND BUCKLER PACKAGEhttp://www.freelanceacademypress.com/swordandbucklerpkg.aspx
Roland has also produced a perfect companion piece to Sword and Shield in his beautifully rendered, collector's poster, illustrating a series of potential actions from the 700 year old, Royal Armouries Ms. I.33. Designed with the artistic spirit of old manuscripts and explorer's journals, this 14 X 28 full-color poster is printed on a heavy, durable cardstock, making it ideal for framing.

The I.33 poster is available separately, but for a limited time, the poster and DVD can be had at a substantial savings as part of our introductory Sword & Buckler Package[/url] .

That's it for now, but more is on the way...

Good Training!

The Freelancers
Giving this one a " BUMP " in case some people who would be interested missed it.

I'm going to be buying the book and the DVD some time before the end of the month.

By the way, all the other books and DVDs I purchased from Freelance Academy Press where excellent buys and the shipping was quick with good customer service.

We have here a good " Niche Publisher " producing and distributing specialized training and learning material that we might not continue to see if we don't support them. ;) :D :cool:
Are there any plans to do digital downloads of this title and other larger sized titles in the future. for me I'd rather download something and have it on my external drive then buy a CD as I'm just going to back it up anyway.
Well just ordered:

The Fiore dei Liberi's Armizare book.

Captain of the guild.

DVD - Sword and Shield Training package with the poster.

DVD - Bartisu

And giving this Topic a " BUMP " ;) :lol: :cool:
Several of these titles are on my various gift lists (Birthday, Christmas, Easter, etc. ...That's right, I don't want candy) :lol:

Really hoping I get them. I received the Venetian Rapier, and I must say, it's one of my favorite books! I take it to practice every time and I've gotten several other members of the group interested. A couple of us make some time to go through and practice a couple of the techniques during each meeting.

Keep up the excellent work!
Jean,

As always, thank you for leading our fan club over here!

Nathan -

"Venetian Rapier" is probably our selling-champion! I think there are a number of reasons for that, but one nice thing about Giganti's work is it is really "rapier for dummies". Not that the material is dumbed down, but it really is the core elements of the system, with each page being one lesson, in a logical progression.

We just finished Capoferro, and it makes an interesting contrast - some very interesting discussion of mechanics in the front, and then more of a focus on broad selection of topics, exceptions to the rule, etc. CF is the more famous work, but I think you probably get the most out of it by using it to build from Giganti.

Cheers!

Greg
Oh, just got an e-mail letting me know the order has been shipped.

So ordered late night on the 18th of October and shipped early the next day: Can't be more efficient and fast without a " STAR TREK Transporter ", ;) :lol: :cool:
I have a good chunk of Freelance's offerings, and love them all. Very good quality. Ordered some more recently. I just wanted to say though. Their customer service is outstanding when I have questions or concerns.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: