'Viking' boat grave with view found in Estonia.
I thought this was worth sharing, a pretty unique boat burial with forty individuals identified within the inhumation.
Play the video on the link and at 02;22 you will see some finds approximate to the Vendel burials. Amazing discovery.

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/transl...v9oBuxd55w

best
Dave
viking find
wow! Thats an awesome find. Thanks for sharing :D
viking
LoL..I just viewed the spelling mistake on the title of the topic..it should have been 'with crew' not 'with view'....time for more coffee I think!

The find raises some fascinating questions and I eagerly look forward to more details been published.

best
Dave
Yet another amazing find emerges from beneath the (nearly) all-encompassing asphalt of our modern civilization. From what I could gather watching the video and reading the poor translation of the article, it was another extremely fortunate accident from a construction project or something of that sort. I wish I could understand the Russian in the video!

One thing I could make out from the article translation is that the ship is believed to have had a sail, and yet dates to 50 years before sales were used on these ships, according to prior studies. Plus there are the forty men buried there, five of which the article seems to indicate were of very high rank, who were buried with valuable items. It looks to me like this find might turn out to be of some really profound importance. This sounds really exciting! :D
Viking boat
These are early days in the excavation but It has been indicated that the skeletons have evidence of combat trauma and a hypothesis has been put forward that the 'crew' are a unit of a war party of up to a thousand. No doubt the find will raise as many question as it answers but yes quite exciting.

best
Dave
This is one of the two ship finds next to each other on the island of Saaremaa (Ösel).

Maybe my friend Robert Rootslane will comment on this topic in more detail, since he was the one who participated the excavations aswell. I`ve only visited the site on the last night of the excavations.

Some more information about the first boat:

www.arheo.ut.ee/artiklid/KONSA%20et%20al%202009.pdf

http://www.baltic-course.com/eng/transport/?doc=44941

http://salmepaat.blogspot.com/search/label/0%...20shipfind
'Viking' boat
Hi Mr.Kari

I had also come across the same information after I did some more searching after been bemused by the news broadcast report and the google translation of the accompanying article which I assume to be Russian called the find 'Viking' when the finds displayed in the news video are so obviously Vendel style. I didn't believe the archaeologist would have made such an error which from the pdf they did not. But hey that's the media looking for a tag I suppose!

Altogether the find is very exciting and must have been the dig of a lifetime for those involved, I for one am looking forward to more details.

best wishes
Dave

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: